Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SHOUT OUT TO STACHE!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Or cooking....

Or typing. Lol. Said he'd rather tell this story than type it.

John we should have talked month ago. Soon as we talked you quit screwing around and killed this dude. Wish I could say I offered some advice that aided your success. I didn't.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
By now it was pushing 0830 I had taken advantage of them being across the field and slipped my vest on. Before I left the truck I had slipped a few hand warmers into the pockets, this happened to be one of the few valuable options I took for the day and the last time I was able to care for myself. My bibs would hang on that stick well into the dark.

Shortly after an uprising of deer would flee from that single fence row. I had 5/6 buttons and doe fleeing back across the field on a dead run at me. They were coming home to hide, the tree that I was hunting was the center hub of the cross over from bedding to stageing. With it being an old ash woods that all have toppled to the ground with a heavy growth of under brush leading to a wooded creek bed.

I soon had every one of those deer standing in and around me, along with that subordinate. I made a quick scan as I left my seat for the final time that day picking my bow of the the hanger, as I see him coming across the field.

JOHNROHIO

I do have to do some work at work, and like I said words to pen is not my thing.

JOHNROHIO

He made it half way across that field and stopped, turning circles looking for his prize possession of the day. He had lost her in the shuffle. The wind was out of the northeast and she was down wind and to the east of me ( my right as I watched him dancing in fluster), he then turned running back into the wind and disappeared into the fence. Moments later he was back on a dead run to me.

As I stand bow in hand picking my openings hoping that he’s gonna slow his pace as he hits the transition. He finally cuts her track and veers off 50 yds short of me to enter the woods. She is standing 15 yds from me on my right as she just watches him parade through kicking off every doe and button he felt wasn’t worthy of his time.

JOHNROHIO

After disappearing and reappearing in the underbrush and bounding of down ash he was finally able to get downwind of her. He was standing a short 50 behind me and to the right. As I shuffle my feet to turn facing the tree, I can see the other buck hs entered the woods to my now right and behind.

Taking full advantage of the fact that both bucks had lost her , with one being able to see her and the other only able to smell her, and her looking the opposite of me. I need him to close the distance of my comfort range. I snort wheezed into his direction, pissing him off enough to scramble to find where it came from. He put a visual the subordinate but and lunging into him running him off.

It brought him to 25 yards ! ( the comfort range of target shooting and possibly a relaxed feeding deer for me.) needing him to take a few more steps and nothing to stop me I try again. It fell on deaf ears as he had just ran his only threat off.