Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SHOUT OUT TO STACHE!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Nudging her along, she takes him farther away from me back into the honey suckle to where all I can see is his antlers moving around. With a quick burst she takes off moving left to right down into the creek bed and beds down 40 yards from me as he continues to stand guard 10-20 yards downwind of her. By now it was somewhere around 1100. As I stand and watch leaning my shoulder against the tree still with bow in hand, slipping my hands in and out of my pocket to gain some sort of feeling into my release hand.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
FB90F64E-9FAD-40C2-B9BA-2B1E1D06D57C.gif

JOHNROHIO

This is where the painstaking process began, for the next hour or so we all remained in our current position. She bedded him standing guard at 60 and me going numb leaning into the tree holding myself with my head. Bow arm tucked under the string to hold it, with my hand in my pocket trying to keep feeling.

I think somewhere in here I was able to slip my phone out of my pocket and send a few heads up text to some friends.

At some point another doe comes down the creek and proceeds to get her up on her feet to feed. All the while she’s moving back to the north feeding along the creek wanting to come back up out of where he is holding her and he is walking halfway between her and I keeping her in. He’s still at 30 yds at the closest pushing her back down and running the other doe out.

After about 30 minutes of this game she takes off running across the creek up the hill to more cover. I’m following along with binos till I loose sight of both of them. As I stand there contemplating on what to do, hunger , thirst and only a fool would leave now. I fish my Copenhagen out of my chest pocket with one hand in fear of hanging my bow up. My one vice is just gonna have to Sooth me as all other options are out.

And just like that I hear a crashing through the woods from my right as she come streaking by me and he’s barreling down the hillside across the creek.

JOHNROHIO

After a quick circle in my immediate area he managed to get her pushed right back to the creek bed. And once again we all assume the same position. You could almost see the waning in his eyes as he fed on brows all while keeping close scent contact with her, eventually bedding down 10 yards downwind keeping an eye to any other bucks coming in to check the sweetness blowing down the creek.

Come on 2 pm! Not really but, that’s when we all got to change our positions, well them not me. They at least got to stretch as she decided to feed towards me. With a glimmer of hope he would mess up and get upwind of her, not a chance as all his movements were made in impossible shooting, even for a compound with brush so thick.

For whatever reason she was in her comfort, the way the wind was blowing, I needed her to come past me to move him close. As he was not gonna loose his best contact of her and that was her scent.

By 230ish she beds down 5 yds downwind of my stand. As I role myself from facing the tree to my side to hide. And once again here we’re are in a standoff for another hour.

JOHNROHIO

As I’m thinking to myself you’re a fucking dumbass, you could have shot this stupid fucking deer on some nice 60* evening back in October at 8 yards and none of this would have happened, but life’s about memories and some things are about the story. So here we are ya idiot!
He gets up as I peer around the tree seeing that he has company that he’s bouncing around, it was the same buck from earlier along with a few fawns. Meanwhile I see a button slinking in from my left as if I was facing the tree. He has no idea as the wind is wrong.
After his sling shot of turd island shit he messed up and dropped back down into the creek, to feed and drink. He had left her next to me allowing what I assume was her button that was slipping in to groome her. In this time she stands! Not to feed or stretch but as in to breed.

JOHNROHIO

The button I’m sure on instinct of nothing else try’s to mount her, just as he looks up from the creek creating another uproar of movement. She runs past me finally with him following and stops in a down tree to stand again.
Finally after 852 hours of being in the same position I get to turn around noticing that there were several other feeding on acorns where she had run.

30 yard from me , she stands , he mounts for the crowd, a few moments later he’s pushing the others out. I’m back to putting Tension on the string picking my opening.

I have an 18 yard hole to my left and wide open in front. While he’s chasing the rest off she moves back to my tree to bed.