Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

Here is some of my wood work...
limb wood.jpg
cord wood.jpg
split pin oak.jpg

How green is that log and are you going to heat it to dry it out?
First I have to cut it to rough dimension. It was a dying tree last summer when we took it down. I will Alaskan Mill it here in the spring to rough dimension then air dry it from there.

Any input from more experienced hands is more than appreciated though brothers!

I painted shut the ends after it was cut to minimize end splitting/checking.

Bowkills

Nw oh
First I have to cut it to rough dimension. It was a dying tree last summer when we took it down. I will Alaskan Mill it here in the spring to rough dimension then air dry it from there.

Any input from more experienced hands is more than appreciated though brothers!

I painted shut the ends after it was cut to minimize end splitting/checking.
I built a fireplace 4 my parents. Took an elm section that was dead just that summer cut that fall/winter. Painted ends. Put it behind my wood stove a month. Cooked it in my smoker a whole weekend and let dry another week behind the stove. Sanded it down. Seal many poly coats. No bugs or finish flaws after a few years. It did shrink width wise 1/8th in or so in a few years.

OK! So the pile of limb wood from the picture up a ways in this string is now split and stacked! I uploaded a video of a stroll along my wood pile on Resurrection Sunday! Hope you all enjoy it.

I will post another picture soon of what I have left to do.

But the question remains..."How much is enough?"

I guess my answer is just a little bit more.

I'm guessing 16to 18 cords. The stacked is about 60'+/- by 10'+/- by 3.5+/- high give or take.
Then I have the unstacked pile... That will be given to friends who need the help. I will post another picture of the stuff I still have to finish cutting and splitting yet. Most of that will go to 3 or 4 folks who heat but can no longer do the wood.

That's a lot of wood Mickey, nice work!!
Thanks! Most people do wood because they have to, or prefer to. I do it because I'm stoopit...

We threw the TV out of our home 2 decades ago. (Much easier when one is a Browns, Pirates fan...) We then put in the wood stove! We prefer the heat and not having the thermostat set to 1 degree above shivers all winter.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My boiler is officially done for burning this winter/ spring season. Let it burn out Saturday while we were gone and it’s cleaned out and blower motor is unhooked and put away in garage till next fall. Burned up all my reserve leaving just a truck load of cherry/hickory chunks for BIL’s offset smoker.
I unhook blower motor cuz I found that it lasts longer if it’s not exposed to the 6 months of weather when not in use. It stays dry and cool in garage. I do plug hole where it’s mounted to keep critters from making it a home over the summer. Lol

So I processed the Walnut Log down to a 6.75 x 6.50 beam 5.5' long to finish drying before I fashion into my mantle. I couldn't get away to the TOO Summer Bash at Giles' ranch so i did some TOO stuff instead.

The cut offs will be used to make stick bows by a friend of mine and I gave the neighbor kid who loves to make things the smaller side cutoffs to have some fun with also. They aren't in the pictures.

The pine board is screwed on the walnut as a saw guide for my mini Alaskan Mill.
walnut1.jpg
walnut2.jpg
walnut3.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
New Lone Star offset smoker is scheduled to be delivered here on Friday sometime and I’ve been splitting hickory and cherry like a beaver on speed. I think I’m good on smoker wood for several years. Lol

I have hickory stacked along on the left side of boiler and today I started stacking the Cherry I’ve split on along the right side of boiler.
IMG_0052.jpeg
IMG_0696.jpeg
IMG_0699.jpeg
IMG_0700.jpeg
IMG_0687.jpeg
IMG_0688.jpeg