Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

twireman

Kingston, OH
Alright, I've been on it for about 15 mins. Before I got started, the bar oil was empty, oil & gas was empty.... so filled em all up. Got it on choke and turned on start. Pulling the starter handle like 15 times and its isnt doing anything

Can you get to where the carburetor is and dump a little mix into it and see if it will fire on that?At this point you need to see if it is a fuel problem a spark problem or an oxygen problem.

Reactions: giles and Big_Holla

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Found the problem. Needs replace
20200402_163839.jpg
20200402_163844.jpg
20200402_164248.jpg

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
12yrs of a wood pile last years splittings bark on top of the past years. generally 12-15 truckloads is sitting year this time of year. Very little frozen ground and stupid work has left me no choice but to cut spring? summer? fall ? which I've never had to do. Hopefully this is the last restocking of this pile at this house...

Reactions: 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For anyone with availability to non ethanol gas: BUY it! Small engines hate the ethanol gas. It eats up fuel lines, gaskets, rubber grommets, etc. Doesn't collect as much water when sitting as ethanol gas does. Hope the fuel line is the only issue my bearded friend.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Great to hear BC, run her hard!

I've never had a problem with any of my engines resulting from bad gas. Never understood this. Dad beat it into our heads and I experienced enough other ppl's lack of taking care of equipment to always use Stabil. A handful sit for months at a time due to the seasons.

Now i use Seafoam & Stabil in all 15+ combustion engines we own.

Jamie

Ohio
For anyone with availability to non ethanol gas: BUY it! Small engines hate the ethanol gas. It eats up fuel lines, gaskets, rubber grommets, etc. Doesn't collect as much water when sitting as ethanol gas does. Hope the fuel line is the only issue my bearded friend.

I replaced the grommets and fuel lines on my trimmer two years ago. I just got it back from the Stihl repair shop because I couldn't keep it running and the young fellow who worked on it told me ethanol ruined them again as well as the diaphragm in the carb. this trimmer is bad for that. had the same repair done in 2011. oddly, my chainsaw and leaf blowers have never had this problem, knock on wood. Stihl guy also told me that some places sell non-ethanol gas sold as "recreational fuel" or to buy the Stihl premixed stuff and run it through your equipment at the end of the season or when you know it's going to sit for a long time. I asked him about fuel stabilizer and he said it does slow down the ill effects of ethanol, but not very much.

Reactions: 5Cent

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My neighbor and good friend has a Wood Miser portable milling saw and helped me mill out 2 of 3 big logs off a Black Oak I had felled near my water boiler a few years ago on the anniversary date of our dad, Rogers passing which was 7/11. I decided then to have some of it made into lumber to finish into wall facing/bar and display casing in our basement in a few years. It’ll take a year or better to dry it out. I’ll be spending a good part of the day today sticking and stacking it in my shed. Going to have to move some shit! 😂🤣
DA9C5D92-EE78-40F1-A7A6-C1FDA131731B.jpeg
D56E04C4-E974-4EE2-B43D-B84E24C2489C.jpeg

I’ll post a pic of the stack once I get it stacked. I gave my neighbor the 3rd log towards payment and paid for his gas. I offered more payment but he said, “ I might need your help doing something later and you can pay me back then.” It’s awesome having great neighbors!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
BTW, I have about 2 cord of firewood left for next year even though I’m still burning but not near as much with the warmer temps. How much does everyone else have left in their piles?

Reactions: MoonLab and 5Cent

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Man that looks like a good day right there Ric. Enjoy the smells, sounds and sunshine but keep those digits and back🍻

My current stash/stack is only for camping use...down to about 1.5cord but got a lot chunked up and piled between the 2 properties waiting for some splitting/stacking work here soon. Been dropping n planning for about 2.5yrs now. Trying to limit/time up how much I will have left to move.

Jamie

Ohio
I put up a bunch of fire wood last spring/early summer. I probably had 6 cords stacked. I'd say we burned a little over two, so I have plenty left, and some pretty good ash and oak laying on the ground that the AEP cut on edges of their easement on my property that will be easy to get. I don't really have room to store any more, so I'll only be filling the vacant space with more wood this year.