Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sitka gear

Johnny44

This is the best time of year to buy stuff too. I need to pull the trigger. I also need a bank account seperate from my wife. I may have glanced over where someone answered this but: What's the longevity on this stuff? Does it make it through 3-5 years of tough use? I think from what I have read elsewhere that's part of the reason it's so expensive; it lasts.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Isaacorps

Columbus
I doubt you will have a regrets man. I love all of First Lites baselayers. I just hope their outerwear is up to snuff as well. Goretex is pretty tough to beat for wind and waterproofing!
It’s still certainly within the realm of possibility to go the route of FL base layers and Sitka outerwear depending on how I like it/don’t like it. Not gonna lie, the Sitka Gore Tex is mighty enticing.

Reactions: jagermeister

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
This is the best time of year to buy stuff too. I need to pull the trigger. I also need a bank account seperate from my wife. I may have glanced over where someone answered this but: What's the longevity on this stuff? Does it make it through 3-5 years of tough use? I think from what I have read elsewhere that's part of the reason it's so expensive; it lasts.
I bought a pair of their cold front pants (sitka) in Jan 2019. I've used them hard as my winter farm/chore pants: shoveling snow, using the snowblower, skid steer, etc. I also have worn them hunting for walking through brush in colder weather, rain/ snow showers etc. I wear them when i hang deer and skin them out. They have some holes from briars and an encounter with a barb wire fence but are still fairly waterproof. I can be out in the rain and be fine for a few hours. If I'm laying on the wet rainy ground I'll soak through eventually. But that's 4 years of not babying them and i still wear them all the time.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The lightweight jacket i got at the same time still looks virtually new but i only use it as a windbreaker for turkey and bowhunting.

Isaacorps

Columbus
I took @jagermeister advice and looked into the Sitka outerwear. Glad I did. I’ve managed to put together a complete system that should carry me from opening day through muzzleloader. First Lite wick and furnace base layers, Sitka fanatic hoody, Equinox pants, Stratus pants and jacket. I was able to get all of it on the secondary market in like new condition for right at 40% off retail for everything. My wallet thanks me 😅. Come on deer season

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I took @jagermeister advice and looked into the Sitka outerwear. Glad I did. I’ve managed to put together a complete system that should carry me from opening day through muzzleloader. First Lite wick and furnace base layers, Sitka fanatic hoody, Equinox pants, Stratus pants and jacket. I was able to get all of it on the secondary market in like new condition for right at 40% off retail for everything. My wallet thanks me 😅. Come on deer season
@Jamie nailed it. The stratus set is really, really tough to beat. You will be very pleased with your decisions, Isaac. Now... start saving for the Fanatic or Incinerator lineup... lol. That feeling of extreme warmth and comfort when there's a wind chill of single digits or lower is really tough to beat, too. ;)

Ohio
I went with stratus pants, vest, and jacket 6 years ago and it’s held up great. I just pair it with base layers depending on the temp. They are starting to breakdown and I’ve been strongly considering trying out first lite but idk if I will really move away from Sitka. I’ve had zero issues with the outfit and I’m pretty hard on my gear.

Isaacorps

Columbus
I went with stratus pants, vest, and jacket 6 years ago and it’s held up great. I just pair it with base layers depending on the temp. They are starting to breakdown and I’ve been strongly considering trying out first lite but idk if I will really move away from Sitka. I’ve had zero issues with the outfit and I’m pretty hard on my gear.
The biggest factor that influenced my decision to go with Sitka over FL for the outerwear was the wind proofing. I typically run hot and can take the cold but wind is game over for me lol. I read a ton of reviews bemoaning the lack of a wind proof layer in the FL stuff. I’m absolutely digging their merino base layers though

Reactions: jagermeister
Ohio
The biggest factor that influenced my decision to go with Sitka over FL for the outerwear was the wind proofing. I typically run hot and can take the cold but wind is game over for me lol. I read a ton of reviews bemoaning the lack of a wind proof layer in the FL stuff. I’m absolutely digging their merino base layers though
The wind blocking is one of my favorite features with the stratus outfit. Thanks for the info! Guess I’ll stay a Sitka fan boy lol.

Ohio
Do you get that wind barrier noise inside the jacket though, say when you draw a bow?? Everything I've tried in the past that was 'wind barrier' always made some noise, if not a lot of noise, when you drew a bow.
I’ve never had an issue with it. The outfit itself is very quiet and the material is like a microfiber. It is terrible to get those flat sticky burrs out of. Had to use a dog brush to get them out before. That’s probably my only complaint.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you get that wind barrier noise inside the jacket though, say when you draw a bow?? Everything I've tried in the past that was 'wind barrier' always made some noise, if not a lot of noise, when you drew a bow.
Negative. All of their whitetail lineup is geared towards fooling a whitetail… so noise reduction is a huge part of their gear. Even the rain suit has a brushed outer surface to mitigate noise. It’s impressive stuff.