Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So close

Bigcountry40

Exactly, you beat me too this…. There may be an uptick of under a percentage point, but I don’t foresee any doom and gloom happening.
As far as cops go? They’ll adapt. They’ll ask the question if you’re carrying. If they don’t, then that’s on them.
I can think of two NFL players that were shot to death over fender benders off the top of my head, both claimed self defense/stand your ground, both were put on trial for murder

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I can think of two NFL players that were shot to death over fender benders off the top of my head, both claimed self defense/stand your ground, both were put on trial for murder
Those happen all the time, this latest action won’t change anything. Stupid senseless things go on 24/7/365….

Reactions: Geezer II

Bigcountry40

Those happen all the time, this latest action won’t change anything. Stupid senseless things go on 24/7/365….
The problem is J idiots think their actions are justifiable through the "stand your ground law", the CCW class requirement explained justifiable use of force and gave people a basic understanding of the law and when it is acceptable to use your weapon. All of us understand "you never point a gun or flash a gun at someone or something you do not intend to neutralize", with this new law I don't know if everybody will understand that concept. Now with no class or training requirements, some people will not have this basic understanding of the responsibility when carrying a firearm. I am all for conceal carry, but go take a one day class from a certified instructor.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
no reason to not notify law enforcement that you are carrying unless you have something to hide. If I was a cop, I would assume everyone has a gun and may pull it on me at any second without warning every single minute I was working.

There were multiple issues with the duty to notify law the main part was it could end up a he said she said with a felony if you lost the argument... and the wording was shit.... what was considered timely? Too gray if an area with a felony consequence for doing it wrong.

Then (and there are reported cases) where an Ohio CHL holder notified in other states without the requirement and got hassled for it.

Before Ohio passed a CCW law the police unions were opposed, many police chiefs and sheriffs made statements against it, many people were warning that Bullets would be flying everywhere. Pretty much the same arguments as today and none of that happened.

20 some state have constitutional carry now and they haven’t seen problems I’m confident we won’t either.
Agreed, they have beat the "wild west blood in the streets" drum for so long its looking like an expired horse at this point.

The police unions have been against EVERY CCW law that has been passed or even proposed in Ohio UNLESS it was removing aspects.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have mixed thoughts on this law. I am happy it passed and was signed irregardless.

If you consider self defense to be a right then this is a good step. It eliminated the financial burden for someone wanting to carry to be able to defend themselves.

However I truly believe that if you are going to carry you should be responsible and have a high level of training. Every bullet you send at someone will be scrutinized more highly than one an LEO sends so we need to be at a higher standard.

I won't get rid of mine because i need it for other states and it's an overall win.

Jamie

Ohio
You are a teacher...can you take the idiot out of someone in a day? 🤣
one thing is for certain, most of the idiots aren't showing up for class, anyway.

anyone who thinks we can increase good judgement or personal responsibility with firearms, or anything for that matter, with regulation or legislation isn't very smart. the bad guys have been carrying concealed weapons (firearms) without state mandated training or a permit forever.

I don't buy into this notion that all of sudden lots more people with no experience or training with a gun are just going to start carrying all the time because they don't need a license. violent crime goes down when more law-abiding citizens carry guns, not up.

Reactions: giles and tracker 6

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
one thing is for certain, most of the idiots aren't showing up for class, anyway.

anyone who thinks we can increase good judgement or personal responsibility with firearms, or anything for that matter, with regulation or legislation isn't very smart. the bad guys have been carrying concealed weapons (firearms) without state mandated training or a permit forever.

I don't buy into this notion that all of sudden lots more people with no experience or training with a gun are just going to start carrying all the time because they don't need a license. violent crime goes down when more law-abiding citizens carry guns, not up.
Yo Jamie "violet crime goes down when more law-abiding citizens carry guns" there are a lot of studies that wave the flag both ways on this subject. I read thru some and think there is a political bias IDK. Many said violent crime goes up.

Jamie

Ohio
damn right any study of something like violent crime is likely to have some bias, especially if done by a university. like the one from Stanford in 2017 that used some whacko new statistical technique called "synthetic control". I'll bet the Violence Policy Center has all kinds of studies that show legal carry increases violent crime. I'm talking actual statistics, not "studies".

US_Homicides-2020.png (1000×634) (usconcealedcarry.com)

Reactions: Geezer II

Geezer II

portage county oh
damn right any study of something like violent crime is likely to have some bias, especially if done by a university. like the one from Stanford in 2017 that used some whacko new statistical technique called "synthetic control". I'll bet the Violence Policy Center has all kinds of studies that show legal carry increases violent crime. I'm talking actual statistics, not "studies".

US_Homicides-2020.png (1000×634) (usconcealedcarry.com)
Yep that would be good. Pretty hard to isolate it to one factor. Don't think the numbers will change much on way or the othe

Geezer II

portage county oh
I believe that firearm safety and training should be part of gym class in middle school.ii
There was a police precinct in the High School where I worked. 3 uniformed armed cops walked the halls and stuff. Sargent in charged advcated firearm training and a shooting team. School board said NO. Those cops were good guys and got along good with most of the kids. Some hood stuff spilled over into the school.

Reactions: brock ratcliff