Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB Suggestions on a Central Ohio Mechanic

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Anybody know a quality mechanic that can work on a '99 Toyota 4 Runner?

We need some work done on the wife's vehicle - brakes, rotors and rear seals.

Thanks.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
James Church

http://www.oxfordautoservice.com/

He is not the cheapest but he is honest and that usually makes it cheaper in the long run. Good, Christian dude.

Then a guy that is usually a bit cheaper but still a good dude. He is a little farther away in Marengo... Matt Wenger @ Castles

(419) 253-6715

I fix all my own stuff. I usually go to Matt when I can't get it done myself because of the better prices.

If you want to tackle it we can probably do it. Let me know.

Charles

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you get the seals done and i can do the brakes and rotors for you... super easy

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
you get the seals done and i can do the brakes and rotors for you... super easy

Don't know about Toyota but the big three seals are fairly easy.... Pull the pan/drain fluid there's a pin/keeper that holds the axle in place remove it remove the axle.... Pull the seal (may need a slide hammer style puller and you can rent those) pop them out install and seat the new ones, lube the axles and slide them back into place.... About an hours worth of work and then you can move onto the brakes with Milo..... :smiley_clap:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I must also throw in that I have never done the seals before. As Milo said the brakes and rotors are a piece of cake. They only thing you may need for the brakes on a Yota is the special (piece of crap) accessory tool for pushing the caliper in which I have if it isn't broken. Hopefully it is just the style that you can use a C-clamp. Also an impact is nice to have for the caliper bracket bolts.

Beentown

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I must also throw in that I have never done the seals before. As Milo said the brakes and rotors are a piece of cake. They only thing you may need for the brakes on a Yota is the special (piece of crap) accessory tool for pushing the caliper in which I have if it isn't broken. Hopefully it is just the style that you can use a C-clamp. Also an impact is nice to have for the caliper bracket bolts.

Beentown

there is a tool fer dat? dang 2x4 and a c clamp woorks for me:smiley_coolpeace: what does this tool do? I have calipers that I am needing to replace.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
there is a tool fer dat? dang 2x4 and a c clamp woorks for me:smiley_coolpeace: what does this tool do? I have calipers that I am needing to replace.

It has a srew too it that as you tighten it, it pushes the piston in too bottom it out for clearance too fet he pads on.... C-clamp works good too lol.... Go too the library and get a shop manual and it will show pictures and a step by step on the seals... Not really that hard.... Worst case is you may have too heat them up as some are locktited in... Still if you can change brakes you can change those seals.....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks a bunch Guys, I appreciate all the help. I've never done brakes before, and want to learn how, but maybe when it's warmer out. I don't have a big, or heated garage. Plus with my work travels I just have to get the wife's vehicle fixed. She scares me, and herself, when she drives my truck.

Charles - I may give Oxford Automotive a call since he's pretty close. Thanks!

epe- We took the wife's 4Runner into a service center this morning because she had noticed it wasn't driving quite right, and making some new noises. They told us the rear axel seals were leaking fluid and needed replaced. Becasue they were leaking, the fluid had been getting all over the brakes and rotos, ruining them as well? Apparently the rear axel seals in the late 90's Toyotas are known for doing this?

After talking to a few people, and the mechanic our family uses back in NE Ohio, I'd like to take it someplace else for at least a second opinion on what is wrong, and what needs to be done.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Some have screw in plungers that take a special attacment for a rachet to get them back in... http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Design-Model-ATD-5060-Piston/dp/B000OUX9J0... I needed it on my wifes old car (Pontiac Grand Prix)

Beentown

I did a friends Caddy once that had dual calipers that were the push twist in type. That was a pan...

BTW for those that don;t know. Most tools specialty like this can be borrowed free with just a deposit at most auto parts store.