Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 11 - Chasin' Tail

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
I just ordered a thermacell! I don't have kids yet and I know that they must be loud when in the woods cuz I was my dad always tells me! Buy on the bright side, hunting with my dad is some of the vest memories I have of my childhood an I'm sure you kids feel the same! Good luck today and I hope you guys drop a monster!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
1 skunk an some tree rats is all i saw...You better have your ass out there heat or no heat cotty

:smiley_couch::smiley_couch:

I'll second that.. We'll hit the 2 week october lull in about two weeks. Hunt em now before they lay up on us.

Hell cotty dont listen to me im a 4th season rookie:frown:..Im moved a cam today to try an get a bead on this doe group:smiley_confused_sch..So my advice might not be the best..My options are hunt here on the back 8 with no pressure..Or hunt a 1000 acres where every tom,dick an fugg stick that ask can hunt..I hunted there yesterday evening an ran into 6 tree rat hunters an 4 goose hunters (i think that is what them decoys was)...An had more pics of ppl with shotguns on my trail cam(which im surprised wasn't stolen) then deer..But on a good note..I figure it will be a great spot to take my boy small game hunting etc.Sorry for the rant the way my weekend went I woulda been happy to get busted by a few deer(hell maybe i did)..But it beats sitting on the couch.

Weekend Recap

Saturday morning found me on stand at 6AM sharp. Had my first encounter of the season at 6:55. A lone doe strolled into my shooting lane at 17 yards. Let her walk, saw another doe at 8:20 about 60 yards out.

Saturday evening found me on stand at 4PM. A nice evening sit but no deer sighted. My stepson passed on a 6 or 8 point in a stand about 75 yards to my east.

Sunday morning back on stand in a light rain at 6:15. Rain stopped about 7:10 and things looked promising. Caught movement just to my right at 9:10, out steps a small, dark horned 8 point. He stood directly broadside in my shooting lane at about 18 yards. He knew somthing was up though and slowly worked his way out of my area. He was getting a free pass anyways.

Sunday evening I headed to my stand at 4:30. Planned to hunt a stand by a food plot. As I headed to my stand it started to thunder. I decided to head for my PortaPot stand in case it rained. By 5:00 the rain started and then heavy rain, high winds and near 20 minutes of steady hail. Rain quit about 5:55 and sun peeked through. I looked behind my stand to a creek in my bottom. The creek had turned into a small river and I knew crossing it would be interesting. About 6:45 it starts to thunder again and I knew I better get out of there before it rained and made the creek higher. I bailed and got to my Craftsman tractor that I had ridden to the creek bottom. I approached the creek and got my stepson nearby where I was going to cross. The current was very strong and the water was up over my mower deck as I crossed. Made it across without any mishaps. Had planned to stay at the cabin and hunt today. But, the storm had knocked out the power and I know from experience that sometimes it is a day or two for my power to be back up and running. Grabbed the perishables from the refrigerator and headed home.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've been out with one of my boys a few times.
Last Sunday morning dat in our blind and were skunked.
Tuesday evening we sat in high weeds under a power tower behind my house and had 3 doe about 60 yards but never closer.
Yesterday we sat in a makeshift blind in the woods behind my house and were skunked.

I've yet to go by myself, but that time is coming. Hoping the rain quits so my dad and I can take both boys out this evening to sit where we've been getting a few bucks on cam.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In the tally thread we got a doe down! Way to go old hunter.

I'm in the blind with my oldest boy right now. My dad has my other son on up the hollow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317331346.989586.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317331385.519830.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317331433.777843.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317331496.611034.jpg