Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 11 - Chasin' Tail

old hunter

Yes we got a few pts. this weekend.A litle over 80,I think.Going to get another big doe also.Two of my grandsons are also hunting.So we have some more points coming. I'll get him scored right this week. I had a good weekend.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hey guys... Don't forget to post your pics in the contest harvest thread. I know our team is missing some points right now for Old hunter's buck.
Not sure if anyone else has forgot to post theirs in the thread.

As for me? That guy I'm looking for hasn't showed up in daylight yet.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Points for our team! I figure it all up later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321634731.373774.jpg

Well guys I have told jackalope an camofry about this on facebook but wasn't planning on making a FULL public thread..But I feel I need to let my team know...

For starters I have habit of looking out my backdoor window when i walk down the hall way..I have seen many does an put a stalk on a groundhog doing this...About 10days ago the family is up an getting the oldest ready for school etc ect..An the wife says"There is a doe in the backyard"...I decide to throw on my ASAT leafy suit,grab my bow an try an make something happen...I head out the front door an sneak around my shed an pole building...She is in the woods at this point an I lose her an stay put an keep my eyes peeled..She is wondering around an i see here...She is 15yrds away she come out in the clear(what i thought was clear) an i stand up already at full draw an anchored look in the peep an there are small trees everywhere..I was going to try an stop her but I figured it if it didn't work out..I would only educate her an lose a chance at her later...She walked down in the swap an i swung around to the east side of the swap over lookin it ..Buy this time she is on the bank of the swap opposite of me which is 50+yrds away.,.No way am i taking that shot..

Fast fwd to this past Wednesday its almost 3pm an light rain...I look out my backdoor..And there is the biggest buck I have ever in person or on my cams alive in season bedded in my fuggin feild..He is about 75yrds from my backdoor..At this point im kinda dumbfounded..I grab my binos for a better look an try to figure exactly what to do..I am no expert or even amateur at scoring deer he doesnt have tons of mass..But his a fairly wide an has tons of tine length his brow tines are long almost freakish...He stands an I think he is going to leave for some reason an he moves about 10yrds an beds back down..I see his body an its HUGE to me!!But now he is facing the only direction I could get after him from..An he has pretty much a great view of every direction around him..Why is he here i wonder??..Then it hits me he is within 75yrds of a known doe bedding area..An the wind just happens to be blowing from the bed..My land is less then 10acres..But it has small pockets of stuff that does tend to bed in an move around from bed to bed as they feel the need throughout the season..That can make it hard to hunt for me at least..Because you dont know where they will be or when you will jump one...I decide im gonna try an get a shot at this buck..Who knows when he will walk out of my life forever? I grab my base layers an ASAT suit an throw them on..A few streaks of war paint a hat an my bow an quiver...I sneak out the front an around my shed..At this point we are 100yrds apart..I an peaking around the shed looking with my binos,thinking im gonna get busted any minute..I decide im gonna have to step back 25yrds an swing around my dads yard next door behind a Big 5 bay pole building..I get around an im sneaking but trying to cover ground because I have to get my son off the bus REAL soon..I sneak down along the South edge of my backyard where the woods start to meet...I going slow an low now an im almost to the point where im running out of cover..I get to where my cover ends an the wind is good 50yrds between us now..Im thinking of what the plan an..An out bust a doe an a small 4 point buck 70 yards to my right out the a swampy bedding area.Well the big buck is thinking something aint right so he gets up an just jogs off..JUST LIKE THAT!!!I went from high an on pins an needles to low..Im kicking myself wondering if there was anything else I could have done?

As a few of you folks might know..Im limited on experience an have yet to successfully harvest my in my past three seasons of trying..I decide I am going to take some "ME" time in be in the only spot I have set up for the right wind the next morning..First light is at 6:45ish and im in the stand an settled an hour early..I didnt sleep much the night before as many of you would guess..I stay in the stand till about 9:30am trying to stand the whole time..I decide im since the ground is damp..Im going to still hunt slowly the 300yrds back to the home an try in swing by these does bed since i got a wind that will work for it..I check 1 an 2 an then 3 which is the swamp..Im looking down into the swap an i hear something..This is all within 1000yrds of I70 so its hard to hear sometimes..I look up to the field edge an that buck is standing mere feet away from my archery targets..We are talking 50yrds away staring at me..I FREEZE!!!An my mind tries to compute everything what going to happen? What do I do??He starts to walk to the right not running but not 100% relaxed either..I have to get 10yrds closer I think to be within what i want my range to be..He goes behind some trees an briars an I move up closer an have a opening about6 to 10ft wide...i decide on the fly he is about 40yrds away when he hits the opening..He stops behind a tree which is perfect I come to full draw...Look TOO check distance before putting my nose on the string an anchoring..I wrap my thumb around the barrel of my release..And he starts walking and stops in the opening..ITS NOW OR NEVER!!!..I pull through through the shot the best i can considering my mind is mostly mush at this point..And the fuggin arrow sails right over his back..Are you kidding me????I shoot 5inch groups on a BAD DAY at 40yrd(at foam at least)..WTF happened? I go an get my arrow an look back from where the buck was stand...That weird...It doesn't look like 40yrds from here now??I walk it off...26 fuggin yards..REALLY REALLY??I guess I chalk it up to arrow trajectory im currently shooting a 375grain arrow at 245fps..I have made charts of my how much arrow drop i have at different yardage increments ..I guess I should have working on judging range more somehow....Between 25 and 40yrds I have 15 to 17inches of arrow drop..My chart has me at 20inches of drop between 20 an 40...I am kicking myself!! But I am glad I missed cleanly an I am very thankful to even have had not one but 2 encounters with this buck..He might not be a trophy to some..And im not good at guessing measurements..But im damm sure he would have met the p&y minimum..I don't know if I will see him again..I have told myself I dont want to shoot a buck I love over corn or bait..Not that there is anything wrong with it..Its just seems it would be a bit less satisfying to me ..But im considering it if it happens

I want to thank the local does for being in heat at the right place an time..I cannot attribute hunting skill to either of these encounters....I do plan to go to a lighter arrow after season.Some folks are not a fan of that,but i want flatter trajectory.. ..............Sorry to be long winded and sorry for the lack of proper punctuation Teach cotty lmao