Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team #2 - Buck Naked

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice job Ben! Keep at it buddy. I am working on trespassers and poachers right now. Need to go update that thread while thinking about it.

Buckmaster

Portage
I feel for you Phil. My neighbor is a poacher too. His boys got one last week. I'm sitting in my treestand and here a single rifle BOOM from the high wall on their side of the creek. At dark I hear the four wheeler pickup right below me in the hollow.

I confronted my neighbor about it last year since they do deer drives with extended tube magazines. They hold about 10 rounds per gun and they use every round until the deer is down. He told me, "I can do what I want on my own property."

That's the downfall as having pukes for neighbors. I try to manage my herd and they specialize in un-doing it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We will just saving our pennies and wait to buy the surrounding tracts of land. Pretty much our only options. Watch these guys get busted one at a time and buy the land as it becomes available.

Huckleberry Finn

My buddy just texted me, said a big 10 jumped out of the woods in front of his truck. Hell yea. That's got to be the big 8 that was in that property last year. Still kicking. Here's praying that the corn stays on for another week and a half and no one tresspasses.

Huckleberry Finn

My buddy just texted me, said a big 10 jumped out of the woods in front of his truck. Hell yea. That's got to be the big 8 that was in that property last year. Still kicking. Here's praying that the corn stays on for another week and a half and no one tresspasses.

Fuggin corn got today haha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Catching up on TOO and watching hunting shows in the background on the TV. Talked to Bowhunter57 on the phone about some buck action he saw tonight. I can't wait for the babysitter to show up tomorrow at 9. I am pulling out all the stops in the next few days fellas. Tomorrow the kid gloves are off. Show up and meet your death this weekend! I am pulling the tarsal glands from last years buck which are in the shop fridge. I am sitting in a major cruising corridor from roughly 10am until dark. I will be blocked from the wind, and in about the middle of the bedding areas on the north edge of it. Wind is WSW tomorrow. I figure sit on the north edge of the bedding. Sitting on the western edge of our property puts me in the middle of two bedding areas. The neighbor to the west is going to be where i anticipate decent doe activity. We will have decent doe activity down wind of me on our property. Should I be all the way to the eastern edges of both bedding areas or should I sit in between the two bedding areas? Who knows. We really do not hunt this stand often. I believe it will be the second time this year. It will also be the first all day sit on the property this season. I am hoping for good daytime movement with this full moon.

Am I making the right moves? Time will tell. Part chess match, part luck, and part just getting your butt out there and maximizing the time in stand. It is what we all love about bow hunting. Any day, any time, anything can happen and this is when stuff gets exciting! Wish me luck fellas. Oh yeah, and I don't care buck or doe, I am loosing arrows tomorrow! Hot doe? Who cares. She will be a dead doe. Small buck? Okay, they get a pass. lol

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
So my week of living like a king in the Ohio woods is over. I killed a doe and missed a doe. Saw about 10 bucks and didn't get a shot on any that were shooters. My middle brother, Yeti shot a nice 8. It was a great week. Had I been hunting with a crossbow I would have killed a few more. I love sitting in a tree. I saw many deer this past week. I am already counting the days to next year but have a month to kill something here in FL. Gun season rolls around soon and there are a couple big boys who will score just fine on the land we hunt. As I sit here by the fire on the first cold FL night o the season (it's 50 here) I am excited about what my team has yet to kill, what may be here for me to shoot yet,and for next season already. I realize I am blessed to deer hunt. I am going recurve next year because I want to. Every season should bring new challenge to keep it exciting. I'll post pics of my doe for the team, but I'm most excited about learning a new discipline. Our time in Ohio was awesome. Hoyt opened his home to me and Deerburger and I got to meet Dante, Redcloud and see Beentown again. It was awesome. Long live the TOO brotherhood. Just glad to be a small part of this awesome family.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad you enjoyed yourself Willy! Check out my journal from yesterday. Wow! Things can happen in a second. Doesn't always work out, but I enjoyed myself and can't wait to hit it this afternoon!

Buckmaster

Portage
Made it out for 4 days to Piney Fork Hollow. Things are still relatively slow in the deer woods. I saw some small bucks chasing does but big boy hasn't made his appearance yet. I put 11 year old Nick on his first deer which was a respectable 8 pointer. Not bad for a first deer. He's going to get a shoulder mount done on it.

Here is Nick in the elevated box blind overlooking a food plot.

Railroad Perm Stand.jpg

Here is the inital 4 pointer he shot over it's back. He was blessed with a second shot on a second buck a little while later.

Nick's 4 point miss.jpg

Here is Nick seeking his arrow following his shot.

Nick in food plot seeking arrow.jpg

Nick found his arrow following a lung shot.

Nick found arrow.jpg

Nick and his first deer; an 8 point buck.

Nick's 8 point.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome! Youth bonus for the team and more importantly, a youth enjoying the sport!

I put a doe up on the board for us. Now onto the search for the big boy!

Buckmaster

Portage
Awesome! Youth bonus for the team and more importantly, a youth enjoying the sport!

Yes, he a hunting addict now. He hunted with me last year for his starter year. He admits he got buck fever. I asked him what that felt like and he responded, "I got all nervous and my stomach felt like it was in my throat."

Nick also says that next year he's giving up soccer and basketball to allow him more time to hunt.

I also asked Nick why he likes to hunt. He replied, "Because I love the outdoors, I like animals, and most importantly my step-dad Jim likes to hunt and I wanted something to do to share my time with him."

Nick is 11 years old.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I'm not ignoring you all...not that you thought I was. Work is insane and I haven't had a chance to get pics from the OH trip posted and a little write up done. Should have it done by the weekend...I hope. At least enough to get the points for my doe.

Huckleberry Finn

I'm sure you love when people say this to you, but that's one hell of a meat pole! Nice work Buckmaster!

I hereby motion to kick Willy off the team because of his inability to share his Ohio pictures and story..... ;) Just kiddin buddy, good luck with them Florida deer!