Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Adventures of Bo and Cole

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pictures are amazing. Write up had me smiling the whole time. It's not my flavor but I sure can appreciate what you shared. Sounds awesome. Eric go out there with you or was it a different group?

OO2

In the Uplands
Early Christmas for us…wild bird
99C01555-0309-47CD-9232-931D3BD9A2EA.jpeg
77AD0B4D-05CC-49F3-A909-222884AEB6F2.jpeg

OO2

In the Uplands
Went out yesterday. Had a bunch of wet fields. The dry fields had all the birds. Moved 4 roosters and about 10-15 hens with my friend.

Had a great time. Bo was birdy on a runner then all of a sudden took off on a full sprint towards the rooster and got him up about 50-60 yards away. Don’t think that bird was going to hold for a point. Just happy to keep getting him on birds.

OO2

In the Uplands
I forgot to mention Bo and his litter mate also tracked down and unfortunately caught a rooster that had been wounded by a hunter in a previous hunt an unknown # of days/ weeks prior. It couldn’t fly and it was wounded pretty bad.

That wounded tracking skill is something I hope to develop and work on in the upcoming off season so I can try and eliminate that happening to me in the future. These birds are incredibly tough. I thought I dusted one in Kansas, a true no doubter. Went up to my marked spot to find feathers and a two finger salute waiting for me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bo pointed two different coveys of quail that had between 20-30 birds total. Had fun, still navigating wet fields, warm temps, and running birds. Looks like more of the same till Sunday
Get him more acclimated too the warmer climate thats heading your way 😂

• Haha
Reactions: giles

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It was great catching up on your adventures together Cole! Great memories and pictures over the course of your first season together. Thanks for sharing with us.

Reactions: OO2

OO2

In the Uplands
So what’s your assessment of Bo so far in his training?
Grouse was a tough intro to it all for me. Lots of firsts on that initial trip. First time hunting upland. First time in BFE where you walk 5 steps into the woods and it all looks the same. First time having a bird dog. First time running an e-collar. You can only practice so much recall in the yard. Eventually we (I) had to step up to the plate. I felt uneasy the whole time mostly for my pups safety and well-being. I myself was comfortable in the woods and stuff but I felt my pup was unaware of the dangers. Weird feeling for sure

Coming off of the grouse trip, we hunted solo for woodcock in cover I was much more comfortable in. Really established and started to build a hunting relationship

I’m really happy with where we are at right now coming to the close of our first hunting season. For a 7 month old pup I really can’t ask for much more. We are comfortable and hunt with each other much better than in the grouse woods. Bo has had a whole bunch of wild birds to learn from. Hunting open pheasant fields is a lot more comfortable than the grouse woods for me. Idk what it is. Minus the barb wire

Today when we were hunting with the wind he would run ahead and hunt back to me into the wind. It was pretty cool to see him lock up on a nice windbreak and have a hen pop out when I got close

We are far from polished but I’m thankful to be able to have spent this much time hunting. My only regret is not getting back up to Michigan this year to run it again after all of our experience. Hopefully can go next year.

Long winded, but I could go on for hours. I’ll reflect more when the season is over and compare notes with a friend more experienced than me to see what we will work on over the off season

Last edited: