Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Official Camper and Camping Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Agreed. No borrowing unless you're just hanging out and borrowing a bed for the night. And in no way shape or form would I suggest this is one of our finer financial moves :ROFLMAO: But, we've worked hard to make it financially possible and it's all about the memories. Growing up, we didn't have fun. We worked and as a father, I don't want that to be how my kids remember me. I love my dad, and he gave us his all and provided far more than he ever had, but we simply didn't do anything leisurely unless it was me playing sports. Tracie grew up in the opposite kind of house. Her dad did his 40 and went home. They had less financial resources, but they were always taking trips and making memories. She brings that perspective to the marriage and I'm totally on board. After being around families with campers for a few years and seeing what kind of fun we can have, this seems like a natural fit for us. And again, if we squander it, shame on us.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
When you go pick up your camper, they will most likely set up your WDH for you. It will be set up based on the truck you are taking it home with. Keep this in mind when you do buy the new rig, it might need to be redone/adjusted.

Reactions: 5Cent

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Its easy to do yourself and I recommend doing it fully loaded. Just take center of wheel to fender measurements.

Measurement 1 - Truck unloaded
Measurement 2 - Truck bed loaded and camper attached.

Add WDH at default setting (ball height set, brackets in general area based on static truck height), hook up camper.

Measurement 3 - tweak until:
1. Front fenders should always be at measurement 1 or be higher, never lower. The closer to measurment 1, the closer to OEM driving weight on steering axle.
2. Rear fenders should always be at measurement 1 or lower,, never higher. If you get back to measurement 1, go back and check the front. 1k-2k lbs is supposed to make the truck squat, WDH shouldn't lift the rear beyond static height.

By doing it yourself, or doing the above after the dealer installs will ensure you understand the ins and outs of your setup. Also a great time to go back thru with a torque wrench on each bolt n nut.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We made it home without issue. Well, other than the massive ruts in my yard 😂 Girls are in love.

20200903_182723.jpg
20200903_183756.jpg