Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Smoker

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
So if I open the door on my outdoor wood burner that heats my home and let my hunting clothes absorb as much smoke as possible, would that be doing the same thing as the scent smoker is doing for you guys and your gear?

I usually burn Oak, ash and maple, and there is plenty of smoke to be had when the door is first opened.

Wouldn't be much different at all Gern, the only advantage of the smoker itself would be you can use the can and bellow to direct the smoke wherever you like. For instance I took a big rubbermaid tuba and cut a whole about an inch and a half in diameter. Then I just fire up the smoker and stick the end in that whole and go to town, smoking the hell outta everything in that tub.

But to answer your question, would be no different, smoke is smoke!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you will find that the delivery method of the smoker is much easier that of any other method. The great thing about smoke is if you don't like it, wash your clothes and your done... you will want to apply it to your body too so your outdoor furnace might be a little difficult.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I will give it a try based on your observations, might be a little tough not to set the clothes on fire, that wouldn't be good!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
the only person I know that couldn't get the smell of smoke out of their clothes was crittergetter...:smiley_boogie::smiley_confused_sch

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So if I open the door on my outdoor wood burner that heats my home and let my hunting clothes absorb as much smoke as possible, would that be doing the same thing as the scent smoker is doing for you guys and your gear?

I usually burn Oak, ash and maple, and there is plenty of smoke to be had when the door is first opened.

It would accomplish the same goal. Sort of. Just way less efficient. The smoke coming out of the smoker is directed through about a 1 inch opening. It allows you to direct a big puff of smoke right where you need it. So it lets you do better coverage, and concentration. It's also still very warm which means the chemical properties are still very sticky. Plus when smoking up you also get all that on your skin also. This is where the antimicrobial properties come in. It prevents odor causing bacteria from forming etc.

Smoking that way will undoubtedly make your clothes smell like smoke. But not nearly as well as the smoker does and will not get your body covered remotely as well.. You could try it and see, it will help for sure, but i wouldn't expect the same foolproof results just due to the loss in efficiency and coverage.

This smoking method is two fold. It kills odor causing bacteria, and it acts as a cover scent.. The smoke smell is just the cover scent. The real benefit is the properties in wood smoke that act as an antimicrobial and anti bacterial. Guys tha are just smoking their clothes in a tote, blind etc are missing 50% of the equation, and IMO the most beneficial part.. I will smoke my clothes lightly after i wash them.. Put them in the tote and maybe puff 1 or 2 in there.. But the real smoking comes when i get to my spot.

First thing i do is fire up the smoker and let it sit while i get my stuff together.. I then start to put on my layers. Smoking each one after i put it on. Starting under my first shirt. I then smoke the shirt itself as it just goes right through. Paying attention to the armpit, and crotch areas of my first layer. Then I smoke each layer as i put it on.. Smoke my hair and beard. (BE CAREFUL not recommended by manufacturer) my hands, my hat gets a good dose. my gloves and my release. I'll even throw a couple quick puffs all over my stand and sticks.. The back of my backpack etc.. All in all it only takes about an extra 10 min. But i know I'm smoked up right.

Once in the stand you will get used to the smoke smell and maybe catch a whiff of it once and a while. But say you shoot a deer and start dragging. Any activity that makes you sweat seems to "reactivate" the smell. Often i have gone all day and not smelled myself. Get sweaty and i smell like a smoked ham.. (Makes me hungry sometimes.) That night when you get in the shower, as soon as the how water hits you the bathroom will be filled with the sweet smell of BBQ... LOL.. That's the benefit to smoking yourself and not just clothes in a tote, it stays with you and keeps working.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Another testimonial...
My quest is now to get my 10 year old a buck. Yesterday evening we smoked up (me, my dad, and Kody). My dad was never a believer. He is now. I was in my stand, they were in a blind. We had two mature doe with their yearlings feeding in front of us for awhile. A nice 8 came in and did the same. The wind was shifting last night due to the storm that was moving in. They never flinched.
It works, there's no doubt.
The unfortunate thing is Kody took a crack at the 8 point and hit him in the shoulder. It rained over night and never did find a trail. We searched all this morning and came up empty. He's using a crossbow and about half of the arrow was sticking out as he ran off, so I'm thinking he will be fine. I don't think he reached the vitals. It's been a rough two days though. Hate to hit one and lose it.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have another good story involving the smoker. My buddy shot a decent buck this sat that came in downwind. Hes only 2.5 yrs old and not that big. But he's tall.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pretty soon you'll look like Cheech and Chong in camo.

My Smoker said right on the label "For tobacco use only."

I just use Maple or Hickory smoker chips though. I already can't quit chewing tobacco, don't need to start smoking it too.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Pretty soon you'll look like Cheech and Chong in camo.

Funny you bring that up lol. Dante and myself was testing mine out at our hunting spot Sunday morning and couldn't figure out where to put the smoker so we could go hunting. ( SUV ) I had a spare tire in the back I could have set it on but I told dante I would look like Cheech and Chong when I rolled the windows down lol. I used the little hook on the smoker and hung it from my trailer hitch. Then I got to thinking while I was back in my stand " Oh no..what if a passer by sees that smoke coming from my truck and calls the fire dept. "

Smoke at home now :D.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Funny you bring that up lol. Dante and myself was testing mine out at our hunting spot Sunday morning and couldn't figure out where to put the smoker so we could go hunting. ( SUV ) I had a spare tire in the back I could have set it on but I told dante I would look like Cheech and Chong when I rolled the windows down lol. I used the little hook on the smoker and hung it from my trailer hitch. Then I got to thinking while I was back in my stand " Oh no..what if a passer by sees that smoke coming from my truck and calls the fire dept. "

Smoke at home now :D.

Bottle of water and a piece of ceramic tile. Dump the chips, then the water, and let the smoke sit on the tile...-

rrr

I was wondering about that...do them suckers get hot??? My main farm that I will be hunting at I park not too far from my spot in a paved church parking lot, but other wise I was thinking maybe throw it in the back of the truck under the hard tonnau? Or is that a bad idea?

Welcome to the darkside ernie...

I posted too quick! I couldn't get the order to go through...dang :( Gonna try again now or call them friendly folks in the morning

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
My only smoker story.

For several years I had hog hunted my buddies SC lease and every time I was skunked. Lee was convinced I just had a "hog curse" and used to joke about letting me come hunting any time because it's a given that I'm not going to do any damage to the hog population.

I've hunted this place with every conceivable set up and used ever gimmick and struck out every time. Twice I'll admit I blew it and missed, but the other 20 visits I never saw a single hog.

When I came back from Iraq I had time for a one day hunt. Brock sent me a scent smoker so I smoked the hell outta everything and smelled like a chimney. When I got to my stand I was disappointed because the wind was blowing right to the feeder, but it's all I had and since I just driven three hours for a one night hunt I decided to go for it.

Two hours later a group of three pigs came running in. When the came in down wind, the lead pig imediately stopped and sniffed the air. It literally took him 30 seconds to decided everything was OK and continued on to the corn.

Two minutes later he and his buddy where dead and I was laying down lead trying to nail the last one as he ran off through the woods (I was deaf for a week).

The hogs were piglets so I guess one could argue they were just stupid, but I didn't care. The hog curse was over and the smoker saved the day.