Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Smoker

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I guess the smoker is the lazy way out. I have scent lok as well. I do the routine with that, but I wasn't convinced I was completely scent free.
I figure the smoker is an insurance policy.
I'm telling you, I used to have deer blowing without me even knowing they were there. I can't remember the last time I heard a deer blow, unless it seen me on the way in or out.
But I'll take one of them showers ;)

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
You can never be scent free to a deer no matter how anal you are. Just the facts. Why not cover what you can't get with something familiar to a deer, and strong enough to give you an advantage when deer do get downwind of you? I'm just as anal as the next guy. I still wash my clothes after each use. I still shower before every hunt. I store my stand, sticks, harness, and boots outside. I carry scent free field wipes and spray in my hunting tote. After all the trouble I spend to be scent free, I smoke up my $300 worth of Scent Blocker and hit the woods with zero worry about being winded. It's not happened in 3 years. To each his own right?!?

themedic

OHIO
I smoked up today with a bee smoker I borrowed from a bee keeper on the FD. Besides thinking it might work, it was fun. I never saw any deer today though.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I went straight from work to the stand today. The key here is that I was servicing a fuel oil furnace just prior to going in the woods. Made sure I smoked up real good, and went hunting. Had a doe at 20 yrds for about an hour and two button bucks at 10 yrds. dead down wind and never spooked.

At least till I shot at one and missed! :smiley_armscrossed:

rrr

Tonight I was taking a long stroll around the borough because today was a crappy day, and walked past a house that was burning hickory.
:smiley_crazy:

That stuff smells sooooo good. I think they put somethin in the chips, just saying.

rrr

That guy was weird

That would be an understatement. Though, at 2am after spending too much time leaning against Jack's truck and losing a pong game or two with Matt, he made perfect sense to me though. I think we had a heart to heart over some of that hog jaw bacon.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No No No. guys.. I'm talking about the 2009 shoot... The first one. Kaiser had a duck hunt up and some long haired dude won it.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
That would be an understatement. Though, at 2am after spending too much time leaning against Jack's truck and losing a pong game or two with Matt, he made perfect sense to me though. I think we had a heart to heart over some of that hog jaw bacon.

amazing how some people make perfect sense after a couple of beers..

RRJJ

Removed by Request.

Lol! It's jowl bacon and it comes from the neck, and I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't share more of it. (not really!)

Diablo54

Outside
Whats your guys method for getting the smoker going/ smoking. Im looking for a faster way.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

rrr

Propane torch. Use more chips than you'd think, get it burning by itself before closing the lid, give it a good shake, and then puff away.

Option 2 - bumblefuck around and then have Milo show you...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I start by putting in a handful of smoker chips and then light it with a torch.

Like Cap't said. Let it start flaming on it's own for a few minutes.

Then toss in another handful of chips give a couple puffs close the lid and give the smoker a good shake and it should be good to go. If the smoke starts to thin out watch yourself :D It's on fire inside and will blow a pretty good flame out the nozzle. (just ask Hoyts wife about her hair) If the smoke starts slowing down just give the smoker another good shake and should be good again.

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
Thanks guys. I'll have to try that this afternoon. I was previously just using a torch and getting a small flame then shaking it. So it looks like i need to let it burn for a minute or two first.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I'll have to try that this afternoon. I was previously just using a torch and getting a small flame then shaking it. So it looks like i need to let it burn for a minute or two first.

Get it burning then go take a piss, get your hunting clothes on, get your gear ready, etc.., by then it'll be good and hot and ready to shake n bake.

rrr

Get it burning then go take a piss, get your hunting clothes on, get your gear ready, etc.., by then it'll be good and hot and ready to shake n bake.

That's something else I was doing wrong. I was laying everything out, then lighting the torch. Light it up, then get everything out, then smoke.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I use a tote that all my gear and I mean all of it I bored a hole in the side of it.... fire up the smoker and put the spout into the hole and start pumping.... couple of minutes later smoke billows out the top and its all smoked up..... very easy way too get all the equipment done at the same time....