Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"The Social Dilemma"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you are interested in some more internet privacy and without being bothered with ads while browsing the internet, then may I suggest using some sort of a VPN service plus DuckDuckGo.com as your search engine along with setting up an email account with protonmail.com and Signal for any kind of texting. Go check into them. I've been using them for years. I use gmail for my work only and had that account ever since Google launched over twenty years ago and that's it. I have no other social media accounts other than right here with 'TOO' and I do have an YouTube account to share my 'WildlifeOhio' videos.

I use duckduck go on my phone also.

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
SmartSelect_20200917-131932_One UI Home.jpg

Above is pretty much all the apps I have installed on my cellphone. I have deleted everything else I do not use. I can tell you that I have restricted this cellphone to it's bare minimum capabilities, including the very important and secretly installed CV tracing app that Google installed a couple of months ago. By default, that app will trace you unless you opp out of it. Go through your phone settings and turn off the CV tracing app if you wish to stop them from tracing you while the phone is turned on. I also use secondary authentication to sign into my protonmail.com email account, which is the app you see in the upper right hand corner. CyberGhost is my VPN service. Also, I setup the phone with an alpha/numeric/symbol 10 digit code to get it to open and function, just in case I were to be detained for any reason and not make so easy for anyone to get to my shit.

Feel free to ask further questions on any internet security protection and/or more privacy type setting configurations. I'll be happy to help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike and Dustinb80

Fletch

Supporting Member
My life is pretty boring. I’m not a secret agent, criminal, or anything so could really care less if my travels are tracked.
That makes two of us.... I'm as straight as can be, probably two straight.... When I said earlier about Big Brother checking in on the site I meant just being a guest and reading posts that could lead to something... I'm sure ODNR comes on and looks around.... Example: Guy was on a hunting site in Jersey and he used to go play with rattlesnakes every year and would post pics of him holding them etc... He had a knock on the door one day and 2 wardens greeted him and gave him a summons for harassing the rattlesnakes... While they were there they noticed 2 deadheads in his flower bed... Illegal to have, so he also got a summons for them.... Someone always watching, they got nothing better to do...

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
That makes two of us.... I'm as straight as can be, probably two straight.... When I said earlier about Big Brother checking in on the site I meant just being a guest and reading posts that could lead to something... I'm sure ODNR comes on and looks around.... Example: Guy was on a hunting site in Jersey and he used to go play with rattlesnakes every year and would post pics of him holding them etc... He had a knock on the door one day and 2 wardens greeted him and gave him a summons for harassing the rattlesnakes... While they were there they noticed 2 deadheads in his flower bed... Illegal to have, so he also got a summons for them.... Someone always watching, they got nothing better to do...

Got a satellite photo of me mow n a field on google earth - wtf

Reactions: 5Cent and Mike

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
IDK if you happen to see the documentary that Joe mentioned about or not and in all due respect @Iowa_Buckeye , that’s exactly what the conglomerate big tech silicon valley companies what people to think or say for the most part, why all the while they collect tons of metadata about you, your family & friends or whomever you interact with and then some,,, everything & anything you can possible imagine, all contained within your cellphone and/or personal internet device. You are the product which they sell to the highest bitter for big money, being that it may be big sales organizations and/or governments and/or law enforcement agencies and/or all of the above, as well as the sophisticated developed algorithms & AI systems that will manipulate you eventually the more you use their systems over time. It has nothing to do with whether or not I am a secret agent or criminal so to speak, which I do take offense, thank you very much, but everything to do with the fact of better protecting myself against unwanted individuals that have no business in accessing what I do, what I say or what I like or dislike. I want to protect those that I interact with via within the digital internet world. It’s my way of simply respecting those that I care about by knowing just how to better secure and protect most all of my interactions and data, my contacts, including all personal information such as, bank accounts, money purchases, home addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, photographs, so on and so forth. I try my very best to take every precaution I know how to do, that’s all, and it's not that difficult to do if you are willing to invest the time and do the research, and perhaps a little bit of money investments here and there.

So please spare me, it has nothing to do with whether or not I am a secret agent or criminal. To me, it’s simply the right thing to do as a caring person.

As they say; to each their own and I'll leave it at that.

Jamie

Ohio
relax Wildlife. you making a pretty big leap there. I don't think Iowa Buckeye was implying the you are a criminal or secret agent. for those of us who aren't tech savvy, or even tech-curious, spending the time and effort going to the lengths that you do to try to hide, it simply isn't worth it. I'm of the opinion that if whomever out there in cyberspace wants to collect metadata on me, read my email or whatever, I don't really care as I'm not willing put forth the effort to try to be invisible. I have zero expectation of privacy on the web or cellular networks. I'm not really convinced that any of us can really hide now, anyway, unless we go completely off the grid in every way possible.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Sincere apologies for stepping out of bounds, so please forgive me @Iowa_Buckeye . I am sorry!

@Jamie , I agree with the last portion of your statement. Most everything today is built S.M.A.R.T. within regards to 'the internet of things' agenda, and then take in the account all of those networked camera systems all over the place, plus all the new satellites that are right above our heads 24/7/365. So, I get what you are saying, but I try not to make it any easier for unwanted prying eyes if I can help it.

I appreciate your input and clarification, thanks!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And I do plan to watch the show. @Jackalope - is it kid friendly? Can/should my 11 and 12 year old watch it?

Yes Absolutely. Some of it may be over their heads but I am sure they will be able to relate to some of it. Especially the mental manipulation that is projected from these apps. At a minimum, it will at least make them aware that a supercomputer is manipulating their emotions, views, and beliefs. .

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny.... They can collect all the data they want... I'm clean... Turn 70 Nov. 1st. I've never had a moving violation....

Reactions: Wildlife

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Denny.... They can collect all the data they want... I'm clean... Turn 70 Nov. 1st. I've never had a moving violation....

Data collection for the purpose of criminalization isn't even on their radar. They don't give a damn if you're Jeffery Dahmer. They simply want to sell you more knives and get you to try new spices. The problem comes in when they use the data they collect to create a complete psychological profile in an attempt to alter your perspective of reality and push you towards involvement in things by being emotionally suggestive.

For example, they realize that a person may have gone through a bad breakup, they know this because the person posted about it.. They also know this because that person spent 0.001 more seconds looking at an add for match . com, and another site about how women suck.. So they start suggesting content that aligns with the women's suck narrative, while also showing him ads for very pro men t-shirts etc. He continues to look at it and the algorithm sees what's working, and what isn't, and adapts its approach.. After a few years, this dude has gone from a bad breakup to a full-on women are evil bitches and need to die cereal killer. That's a huge shift and most aren't susceptible to that large of a swing, but that is exactly what they're doing. And they don't give a shit, all they care about is selling him new knives and spices.

Reactions: Fletch

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

Well, I can only hope that I'll be as healthy as you are when I get to be your age and still be able to hunt. I wish you the best of luck in getting that 600+ big bear!

Oh, btw - I have nothing to hide either, except perhaps that monster buck I'll be chasing this season. Other than that, I'm clean as a whistle 'TOO' :)

Reactions: Mike

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
So let's say when your kid turns 13 you are expected (by today's standard) to hand your kid a thousand dollar device with a monthy contract. And somehow we want to blame the man? I failed in this area as a parent. Shoukdve went full Amish

We went through this with our kids growing up. It just wasn't smart phones yet, it was just plain TV. We were the weird parents. We had television in our house. Its the only programming that came in was the DVDs that the wife and I were letting the kids watch. They hated it then, but both of them have come up to me since they've moved out and thanked me for not having it in the house as they were growing up. They can see how much differently they view the world than their friends that had all the subliminal programming. Now just imagine when all these kids that have had access to this shit since before they could talk are going to be acting as adults. I think we're already feeling the tip of that big dick.

Don't be afraid to be the ashore, they will understand it later on.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We went through this with our kids growing up. It just wasn't smart phones yet, it was just plain TV. We were the weird parents. We had television in our house. Its the only programming that came in was the DVDs that the wife and I were letting the kids watch. They hated it then, but both of them have come up to me since they've moved out and thanked me for not having it in the house as they were growing up. They can see how much differently they view the world than their friends that had all the subliminal programming. Now just imagine when all these kids that have had access to this shit since before they could talk are going to be acting as adults. I think we're already feeling the tip of that big dick.

Don't be afraid to be the ashore, they will understand it later on.

The documentary talks about this too. How we have protections against suggestive maywril and marketing on kids programs on TV. Yet none of those laws realk exist online. There is nothing on the platform that prevents a 9 year old girl from seeing a 20 year old girl twerk and shake her butt. Content that would never be allowed on kids programming is promoted and suggested on those platforms. They show graphs of kid suicide, depression, and other disorders that directly coincide with the rise of social media. This generation of high schoolers is the first generation that grew up with social media.