Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Swamp Blind.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Set a blind and a bait pile yesterday where at the end of shotgun season I found some good sign. The interior is not huntable due to it being a thick maze of swampy mess. I set the blind on the back end of a patch of cattails and dropped the bait 25 yards to the north of it.

The Blue line is the easiest path to the blind but it passes really close to some great deer cover to the west. My plan is to be noisy and use this path to bait or check the cam. I cut a quick path through the woods on a straight shot to the blind to use when I want to slip in and hunt. (Green line) The idea is the same as in the deer conditioning thread earlier this year. Let the deer hear me baiting and think they have my path figured out, then slip in undetected via a less invasive route.

20181208_102942.png

These rub pictures were taken in that tiny little clearing west of the corn pile.

20181129_153328.jpg
20181129_153150.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well I screwed up the camera. I noticed the batteries were at 4 of 10 when I set it out and the cam is about 15 yards to the corn pile. When the batteries get that low in the cold the sensor range is greatly reduced. Despite 90% of the corn missing it only picked up a close doe and squirrels.

I did take some better pics of the setup though.

View from the blind to the corn. There's a 100lbs of corn in that pic. Used the old filming trick and hid the pile

behind a small rise and a log.
20181214_151337.jpg

The corn and blind is in the back corner of these cattails straight across in the center frame.
20181214_145928.jpg

Looks like the deer activity has picked up after that freeze and the rut.

20181214_152105.jpg
20181214_145914.jpg

Floki

Damn that’s exciting. Hope tommrow is the day for ya. Couple decent bucks on cam this week seems they are in that second rut. Anyhow good luck.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Damn that’s exciting. Hope tommrow is the day for ya. Couple decent bucks on cam this week seems they are in that second rut. Anyhow good luck.

Staying out of it since I don't have good intel. The last thing I want is to have a stud hitting it 30 minutes after dark and him catch me leaving.

Reactions: Floki and giles