Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FYI The Tool & Implement Thread

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Actually, yes. There are subtle differences as I've learned. The analogy is a man is a mammal, but not all mammals are a man. A violin is a fiddle, but a fiddle is not necessarily a violin.

Her fiddle has a couple of minor structural differences that are typically not found on a violin. The major difference is the type of music and she's learning folk music, not classical.
Its all in how you dingle your dangle.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Actually, yes. There are subtle differences as I've learned. The analogy is a man is a mammal, but not all mammals are a man. A violin is a fiddle, but a fiddle is not necessarily a violin.

Her fiddle has a couple of minor structural differences that are typically not found on a violin. The major difference is the type of music and she's learning folk music, not classical.
Exactly my point, I love that she’s learning the fiddle and in folk style. Very cool! I’ve always wanted to learn the fiddle but don’t have even a tenth of an ounce of musical talent 😆

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nor do I! She gets it from her mother's side, although my parents have some musical talent and my sister is an extremely talented and accomplished musician. My grandfather played sax professionally back in the 40s. I was in band in 5th grade and that was it. I love listening to music, but playing it is not my thing. The in-laws got her the fiddle for Christmas and she's taking lessons with my MIL. Kaydence appears to have some natural ability, so this should be fruitful!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Surprised at the # of people who don’t have a tool box in their trucks.... My tool box has around 80lbs of tools in it. I can cover most of the generic issues...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Keep us posted on that. Videos too

No video yet, but word came home tonight that the instructor is "impressed". She's clearly musically gifted much like her mother and aunt (my sister). Kid is 6 years old and today she aced a math quiz, nailed her violin lesson, killed it at soccer practice on the way home, then read me a book before bed. She's motivated by achievement and pleasing her parents. Going to fuel that as long as we can!

Greg's daughter can already sing and now K wants to learn guitar during the break in semesters of violin. Since they're BFFs, I'm hoping they'll form a band! 😂

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
These 3 are the work horses of my curb appeal tool belt. I'm OCD and have 25 years of weedeating experience, so I lay down a mighty fine trimming with this antique. 😎 Stihl FS90 I bought in 2007 to weedeat trails and trim lanes for deer hunting. I didn't use it for resident reasons until 2010. I've had to work on it here and there, but it gets the job done. I have a saw blade, polyhead and just upgraded to the bigger, tougher line (worth the additional $ if you do a lot of fenceline FYI). I've gotten my $ back on this tool 10xs or better now.

A reliable leaf blower is a tool my dad never owned because it fell victim to his old maxim of: "The more engines you own, the more you have to maintain." My first paycheck as a baseball coach bought me a power washer, a generator, and this leaf blower. The power washer is a Honda and will out live me. The Generac is a work horse. But the jury was out on the Toro. I was out of $ in my budget and didn't get the Stihl backpack blower I wanted. This thing has also paid out several times over. Paid $150 in 2010 and haven't put anything but gas in it since then. Use it weekly almost year round and it still runs like a top.

Earlier in the thread when I asked about a propane torch, this is where I landed. Online order from Habor Freight. Took 27 years to get here from China, but it gets the job done. My driveway is weed free and edged nicely thanks to these 3. I'd put these in my Top-10 must have homeowner tools since I'm into outdoor aesthetics 👍
20190511_171227.jpg

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Roundup doesnt work for me. Fuggin weeds keeps coming back. Maybe I ain't spraying it enough 🤔

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a 5 gallon backpack sprayer and 2-4D and gly mixed at all times. But I'm not sold on applying it all the time either. I use it sparingly. Usually let the weeds go in the spring, then burn them chemically. After that, 10 minutes with the torch every 2 weeks and I'm good to go.

Reactions: 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Roundup doesnt work for me. Fuggin weeds keeps coming back. Maybe I ain't spraying it enough 🤔

Don't buy the spray bottles. Get a small pump sprayer. Buy the concentrated stuff. 41% glyphosphate. A few drops of Dawn dish soap can help it stick to the plants but if you overspray and get it on your flowers they are toast too. Many people pull the weeds and then spray. Don't do this. Spray them. Wait a few days. Then pull them. RoundUp is a systemic herbicide. It needs to go thru the plant to the root system. Spraying it on the dirt after you have pulled them does nothing. You can also apply Preen to prevent future weeds then nuke the ones which come up with RoundUp.

Jamie

Ohio
I’ve got the green flexzilla hose, love it! Never a worry even in the coldest temps. Guessing I’ve had it 10 years now. No so bright green anymore but never a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-Fittings-Lightweight-Hybrid-ZillaGreen/dp/B001C6NC7O/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1547902110&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=flexzilla+air+hose+3/8&dpPl=1&dpID=51A0-gPaKVL&ref=plSrch

finally got around to buying some of this air hose. Flexzilla air hose is really nice. love it.