Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This date in history...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
150 years ago the Civil War (War of Northern Aggression to Jackalope) began.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I am surprised someone up this way remembered it. Way to go Sam!

Attachments

• SCV_Sesqui.jpg
    SCV_Sesqui.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 162

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I remembered lol. I have been watching history channel and they had a bunch of stories on yesterday. I always thought history was worthless when I was younger but as I get older I find it more fascinating to learn about.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
i love the history of the civil war....next to storming the beaches of normandy these guys had the biggest kahonies...

if you took the number of soldiers to population of the states back then compared to now it would be like 600 million people fighting....or something like that

Huckleberry Finn

i love the history of the civil war....next to storming the beaches of normandy these guys had the biggest kahonies...

if you took the number of soldiers to population of the states back then compared to now it would be like 600 million people fighting....or something like that

Hey, let's get in a field and line up about 50 yards away and start shooting at each other...in line.

Pretty sure it was around 1/5 of the population that died (and of course most of those males)

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I know it was something like that....Pretty crazy if you think about it. My point was if you took that ratio of men in uniform then...and took that ratio into comparrison now, think about how many would be fighting.

Definately a different way of fighting back then.....

I love the movie with mathew broderick (sp?) Glory....to me was the best representation of how it was back then..

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Southerner trapped in a Yankee body here....yet All American...

Yeah Sam, now I get why there've been so dang many Civil War shows on lately

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

If you're ever down in South Mississippi Stop on im my hometown of Vicksburg and check out the National Military Park... The historic ground of the Battle of Vicksburg. States have monuments to their soldiers who are laid on that ground. Both Union and Confederate. The park includes 1,325 historic monuments and markers, 20 miles (32 km) of historic trenches and earthworks, a 16-mile (26 km) tour road, a 12.5-mile (20.1 km) walking trail, two antebellum homes, 144 emplaced cannons, restored gunboat USS Cairo (sunk on December 12, 1862, on the Yazoo River, recovered successfully in 1964),

Here are a couple of Ohio's Memorials..
vicksburg-national-military-park-04.jpg

72d-OH-infantry_1.jpg

Some of them are rather grandiose.

Illinois
1.1298666235.illinois-memorial-at-vicksburg-national-milita.jpg
Inside the Illinois memorial on Brass plates are all the names of the men who gave their lives.
4935695880_4cf8fe9c66.jpg

Texas.

Arkansas

You can see the cannon batteries as they were during the siege of Vicksburg

Cannons-Along-Union-Lines-in-Vicksburg-National-Military-Park-in-Mississippi.jpg

You can walk the trenches.

Or spend the day Really taking in the magnitude of the battle... There are 18,244 Union and Confederate interments (12,954 unidentified)....

And here is something you may find interesting... It is a federal park that receives federal money.. Because it was paid for by the Federal Government, all of the Union Monuments were paid for by the US Government. The Confederate states however, were not Federally funded and their representation in the park is the direct result of years of fund raising and multiple benefits. Though the park is located in the South, the Federal Government did not give equal monetary donations to the Union and Confederacy, thus leaving the South to their own devices as far as money was concerned.

And without further ado.

Guess which one it's a tradition to spit on???

View attachment 1874

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We just finished up a few days on The First Battle of Bull Run, Shiloh (as well of some of Grant's other victories out west), Fredericksburg, Antietam, and Chancellorsville in preperation for "Gods and Generals". We are on the second day of the movie. If you haven't seen it, watch it!!! Stephen Lang plays Stonewall Jackson, Robert Duvall plays Lee, and Jeff Daniels plays Joshua Chamberlain.
After it's over we will do a few more battles then pop in "Gettysburg".

When I was 8 I got to go to Ft. Sumter while my oldest brother was in his freshman year of college in Charleston. What a cool place. They've reconstructed in more since then. When I was there walls were still knocked down.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Here's a crazy fact. The American death toll at Shiloh surpassed the American death toll of the French and Indian War, the Revolution, and the Mexican War combined.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool history stuff guys! I remember reading that the battle at Antietam was one of the bloodiest if not THEE bloodiest. I enjoy watching all those movies listed above but another good movie not mentioned was, "Patriot" starring Mel Gibson even though it's about the Revolutionary War. When they killed his son and he grabbed his really young sons and set out afoot and ambushed those redcoats, DAMN, that was good! Very good thread!

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I alos am fascinated by the Civil War and all the facts about it. My sophmore social studies teacher leads a reenactment group in central ohio. They were in the movie Gettysburgh. I was a sophmore in high school when that movie came out and we got to take a field trip to Columbus to watch the movie.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
History was by far my favorite subject in school, with the Civil War being right up at the top for favorite topics. It took a lot to get me to take a book home when I was in school, but History is one thing that I didn't have a problem studying for. Lot's of cool info here guys, thanks for sharing!