Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This Old Boat.

Don’t know the laws in PA but in NJ if you don’t have a title for a trailer, you can tell them it’s home made and you spent $100 in parts. They’ll tax you on the $100 and issue a title.

You can do it in PA, but it has to go thru inspection and you have to do some paperwork. Really don't know how big of a deal that it is, but I figured it may be easier to wait and buy one that already has a title.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Did you finish doing all the work on your boat? Have any maiden voyage photographs of it by chance? I haven't fished in a boat like yours since an Arkansas trip about 10 years ago in the Ozarks. That kind of boat down there is fairly popular in those rivers I fished back then. I was a little curious in how your project ended up and how it worked out for ya. I just had a memory fart about that Arkansas trip which made me recall your boat project, which looked a lot like the one I fished in a decade ago.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Did you finish doing all the work on your boat? Have any maiden voyage photographs of it by chance? I haven't fished in a boat like yours since an Arkansas trip about 10 years ago in the Ozarks. That kind of boat down there is fairly popular in those rivers I fished back then. I was a little curious in how your project ended up and how it worked out for ya. I just had a memory fart about that Arkansas trip which made me recall your boat project, which looked a lot like the one I fished in a decade ago.

I haven't had it as a priority project lately. Been working on other things like installing an above ground pool, repairing a generator, painting, etc.

I've been working on a 1972 9.5 hp johnson seahorse motor that sat for a number of years. Rebuilt the carb and impeller, plugs, fuel lines and I'm just waiting on a fuel pump rebuild kit now that should be here this week. Once that's done I'll turn back to the boat and get it all done. Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll have everything done.

20210627_005954.jpg
20210331_112026.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Man this project has kind of taken a back seat with all the other stuff going on around the house. I drug this old 1972 Johnson out of my dads shed a couple months back and have been working in it as time allows and parts come in. So far I've gone through it top to bottom and just finished it up tonight. She's not at pretty at BCs but she'll do.

Rebuilt the carb.
New impeller bushing and plate
New plugs
New fuel lines
New and rewired stop switch
Rebuilt fuel pump.
Replaced the prop shear pin and pin.
Changed the lower oil.

Can't say for sure it needed any of that but I prefer the peace of mind. Next up is the water barrel and final tuning.

20210801_212107.jpg

20210801_212710.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So after rebuilding basically the entire fuel system in this 1972 9.5 Evinruude I finally got it in the barrel. No spark on either cylinder. 😅. Pulled the flywheel and checked the ohms on both coils. If my meter can be trusted they're both showing .8. Which is about half of what they should be. While making an order from Crowley marine for two coils I went ahead and ordered the condensers, points and arms. Might as well replace it all while I'm in there. So I'll have fuel and fire, that leaves air. Watch the world turn into a damn vacuum once I get them installed. This sumbich gonna be the most dependable 49 year old motor on the water! 😅.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Another reason the lil boat project was neglected is I bought yet another boat about a month back. 😅. Just about got her where I want. Only need to decide on a chart plotter and install it. Changed the fuel and water separator, put a new VHF radio and antenna on it, replaced the water pump and replaced the starter, installed a new kill switch. Checked all of the wiring, greased and lubed all the recommended places, adjusted the throttle and gear selectors, plugs, replaced water hoses, checked through hull fittings, etc. Not all of that had to be done, but it had to be done for my peace of mind before I take my family offshore in it. All in all a pretty solid no wood boat.

FYI. The old adage of buying an old man's truck does not apply the same to boats. 😅. This fucker had shit all kinds of fucky. VHF radio was old as dirt, impeller installed wrong, kill switch just cut behind the dash, two trolling motor batteries shoved in the prow anchor locker instead of fishing wires to the back and putting them where they go, VHF antenna wire zip striped to the outside of the T-top instead of fished down inside the pole. SMDH.

20210909_231957.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
SHE LIVES!! Got the old 1972 9.5 Johnson seahorse started tonight. Probably the first putter to life that motor has seen in 20 years! 😊. It ran so good it didn't want to stop! 😅 the kill switch I installed didn't want to kill it so I had to pull the plug wires. She bit me a few good pops for trying but I I got it. 😅. It sounded like the kill switch killed one cylendar as it slowed down but didn't die.

That motor fired up and said "NEVER GONNA DIE!"

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
SHE LIVES!! Got the old 1972 9.5 Johnson seahorse started tonight. Probably the first putter to life that motor has seen in 20 years! 😊. It ran so good it didn't want to stop! 😅 the kill switch I installed didn't want to kill it so I had to pull the plug wires. She bit me a few good pops for trying but I I got it. 😅. It sounded like the kill switch killed one cylendar as it slowed down but didn't die.

That motor fired up and said "NEVER GONNA DIE!"

Hellz yeah, congrats on bringing her back from the dead!

Reactions: Jackalope

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
A little smokey, gotta get it on the water to burn out the junk from sitting and adjust the lean/rich setting. Still gotta figure out the kill switch too, for now I'll just choke it to death.

I think we talked about this but I have the same but it’s a 6 hp just different carbs. I’ve always had to just put on the choke to kill it.

Reactions: giles

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think we talked about this but I have the same but it’s a 6 hp just different carbs. I’ve always had to just put on the choke to kill it.

Yeah I remember that now. I hate doing that because 50% of the time they're a bitch to start if you need to turn it back on right away. I did figure out that if I idled it all the way down and hit the button that'll kill it. Meh. Better things to do, like get the casting deck and floor painted.