Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Refreshed the soil in both garden box. 3 big boy tomato plants and 19 jalapeño plants
7678DAB7-2200-4C92-9225-FB281248226B.jpeg
BF8F5470-E529-4395-AA81-5D8747562EC7.jpeg

Buckmaster

Portage
I tilled my big garden today. Upon completion I went to my dipshit neighbor (that once put the .308 hole in my house....30 minutes later...his garden was plant ready (picked up a 6 pack of Smirnoff ice). Went home....Few minutes later and F350 comes down my 1300’ driveway. New neighbor a few doors down and across the street wants me to till something in in for him. His name is Stan, probably 72. After completion...how much? I said nothing as your my neighbor. He replies...do you like to fish? I said...yes...I lost my LE charter partner in 2010 and haven’t been on the Big Lake since. Stan replies, I’m in need of new fishing partners. Ill check Stan’s background tomorrow online. I might have a new eastern basin connection with a 23’ Carver. Might be my connection back to the big lake.

Buckmaster

Portage
Nice work Ben, looks great! What all did you put in?
100’ corn, 50’ sweat pea, 50’ garden beans, 40’ cucumber (pickles), 2 pumpkin, 2 watermelon, 1 cantaloupe, 2 butternut squash, 1 yellow squash, 1 zucchini, 12’ garlic, 4 yellow cherry tomato, 4 Roma tomato, 4 Jubilee tomato, 4 hillbilly tomato, 8 beefsteak tomato, 24 Hungarian hot banana pepper, 4 yellow bell pepper, 4 California Wonder pepper, 12’ carrots, 12’ spinach, 12’ romaine lettuce, 12’ French lettuce mix, 1 horse radish.

Isaacorps

Columbus
100’ corn, 50’ sweat pea, 50’ garden beans, 40’ cucumber (pickles), 2 pumpkin, 2 watermelon, 1 cantaloupe, 2 butternut squash, 1 yellow squash, 1 zucchini, 12’ garlic, 4 yellow cherry tomato, 4 Roma tomato, 4 Jubilee tomato, 4 hillbilly tomato, 8 beefsteak tomato, 24 Hungarian hot banana pepper, 4 yellow bell pepper, 4 California Wonder pepper, 12’ carrots, 12’ spinach, 12’ romaine lettuce, 12’ French lettuce mix, 1 horse radish.
Soo, you gonna do a garden this year? 😳😄 nice work!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
They guy down the road used to strip garden much like this photo. It always looked nice as he kept those grass strips mowed very regularly. View attachment 127983

I am similar - I have a cover crop that I mow off.
I then space my rows at 3 1/2 ft - so I can get my push mower between rows/plants. Plants are also 3 1/2ft apart.
I have clover planted between all the crops to fix nitrogen and act as a weed mat and pump root exudates into the soil.
As clover/weeds get nasty, I walk with a push mower or weed whip few times a year and mow it back down. That becomes mulch, feeds biology, etc.
and so goes the cycle.

Honestly, my time spent is 1/4th what it used to be, with equal or better results in outputs. I also use ZERO fertilizer - don't need to I can produce more than I ever could eat or even give away.

Lot of ways to do it, but for me -I have enjoyed this journey!!

Happy Planting!!

Buckmaster

Portage
Al, Your thoughts? After you obtain premium soil composition and ph balance...could you consider an overlay of OH/PA moss (top cover & moisture trap), keep it well water saturated, and plug your plants beneath your moss rug? What do you think that concept could provide?

Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Al, Your thoughts? After you obtain premium soil composition and ph balance...could you consider an overlay of OH/PA moss (top cover & moisture trap), keep it well water saturated, and plug your plants beneath your moss rug? What do you think that concept could provide?

Ben - I strongly believe in the benefits of soil coverage be it straw, grass clippings, etc.

As for moss, that sounds intriguing but if I commented on that particular application, I’d just be blowing smoke as I don’t have experience or knowledge of using it.

I am sorry I cannot be more specific I just don’t like to give advice or suggestions unless I feel 100% confident in the science behind it.

I’ll leave you with this - it’s always good to understand the CtoN ratio of the thatch you are laying down. Straw works well due to high CtoN (this means it take a long time to break down) vs. green grass clippings (low CtoN) microbes eat quickly. Having a balance is good for the soil biology. Also understanding this balance regardless of what the thatch is made of, will ensure better success for what needs to be added, when and how often based on microbes consuming thatch layer.

If I remember, I’ll read on moss thatch later and report back to ya on my findings.