Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
A6858DEB-F306-4B7F-A6ED-9A8C8BD16708.jpeg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When you make salsa and can it; how long do you let it sit for the flavors to meld before you enjoy it?
I’m not the best to answer this question Doug. We made our first batch last fall using my bros tomato’s cuz I hadn’t started my raised beds yet. He makes some of the best salsa I’ve ever eaten and has been doing it awhile. Actually a relative who’s lived in Houston for 30+ years couldn’t stop eating it at a OSU tailgate a few years ago and said it’s the best he’s ever had and couldn’t believe Ron made it. Lol
Last year the wife and I waited about a month or two before we cracked our first jar. It’s was good but not great, needed more onion and peppers, imo.
I’ll give him a heads up and see if he chimes in.

Reactions: Hedgelj

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I usually bring it to a full boil for 15-20 minutes stirring constantly. Then I reduce my heat to medium and stir occasionally while it cooks down. I taste it regularly and add more tomato paste if I desire more thicker.
Salt is a key player on taste so use your own amount to your own satisfaction.

Reactions: 5Cent and Hedgelj

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Screenshot_20220815-082400_Kindle.jpg

This is a recipe from the ball canning book i followed. I torched the corn and cherry tomatoes (fire roasted) and used 3 jalapeños, just had some last night. My wife loved it, but it was very mild. Either the peppers were milder or i need to taste test it first.

I don't care for cilantro so i didn't add that.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Came home to another full plate of maters! Really happy how well they produced. Gotta work on my peppers next year though. Maybe spray repellant around them to keep rabbits of bugs from eating them down. I still have a few bearing fruit but not as much I should. Plate on left ripened pretty fast in the 3 days we were gone.

937F5816-B9BE-477E-B1B0-D08471F815F7.jpeg