Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That hail ruin anything?
Lettuce was the casualty, it was just starting out and it got pummeled. House checked out, no roof issues, other than a shitton of leaves up there. One gutter got pulled loose but that was an easy fix and the gutter guard fell off in the same location so it went back on after the fix.
My buddy who kept an eye on the place and cut my grass picked up all the debris afterwards, so there’s a nother pile too burn…. Beer and fire? Yep, any excuse…..

We went through the garden Sunday, got some beans, cukes, and squash and zucchini. Wife made relish and we’ll have some zucchini bread here this week as well…. Corns looking decent, and peppers are coming along as well… Carrots were kinda dismal for the couple we pulled, but we’ll see what the next week brings us….

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
20230619_190716.jpg

We got a late start but this was a week ago. Everything is looking as it should.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Currently canning a couple jars of banana peppers. Hopefully this storm doesn’t put a damper on that.
Wife found a recipe for lemon bread, using yellow squash. Sounds interesting. We’ve got a half dozen of them to play with.

Pass along that recipe pls if it's any good, J.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Pass along that recipe pls if it's any good, J.
Ok, it was pretty darn good. Much better than I thought it would be.

Lemon Yellow Squash Bread~Makes 1 loaf

• 1 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
  • 1/2 cup Butter, Room Temperature (Or Coconut Oil for Dairy Free), Plus additional for greasing pan.
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • 1 3/4 Cups Finely Chopped Yellow Squash-(Peeled & Seeds removed)
  • 1/3 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 2 cups All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
Lemon Glaze

• 1 cup Sifted Powdered Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
INSTRUCTIONS

Lemon Yellow Squash Bread

• Mix sugar with lemon zest on medium speed for 1 minute, until sugar becomes fragrant.
  • Add butter, and beat until fluffy.
  • Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl.
  • Mix in squash, lemon juice, and vanilla. Scrape sides of bowl well.
  • Stir in flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, just until combined.
  • Butter a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan, and add batter.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and allow batter to rest for 20 minutes, while oven preheats.
  • Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  • Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely.
Lemon Glaze

• Whisk together powdered sugar, and lemon juice, until smooth (add some hot water if too thick). Drizzle over the top warm Bread.