Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Chronicles - 2014 Edition

teej89

NE PA
That's awesome Brock! Was that them pitching down at :53?

And are you calling while on they're on the roost or just setting up where you know they are?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There were 7 total that we saw pitch of the limb. I made a few soft yelps while they were still in the tree. Unfortunately, hens came along and we didn't have time to work 'em once we got ahead of them again. We are going right back in there tomorrow hoping they'll be there again. I hate bushwackin 'em as soon as they hit the ground, but due to time restraints, that's the plan.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Did not hear a single bird this morning. We did have two coyotes howling back and forth just down the ridge from us. Maybe tomorrow.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
My god. Everything went from zero to hero here. Ive been on my buddies property 4 times and haven't heard a peep. I was hunting the wrong side of the woods. Started up my ranger after giving up about 7, while driving the opposite side field edge I ran 3 birds back in the woods. Pulled off, heard one hammering. I geared back up in a hurry and slipped into the thick bottom while he was hammering on the ridge above me. He came in at 30 yrds, spitting, drumming and hammering at anything I threw at him. So damn thick, I could barely see him. He slipped back, and I circled around to the ridge top. I called, had 4 birds in front hammer then 2 directly behind me. I turned to the other side of the tree, saw a red and blue head moving in then 3 jakes slipped in, yet again behind me. Saw me, putted and moved off. I gave it 10 minutes, then had the all hammering again. I put all my focus on the red head I had saw right before the jakes busted me. He was grouped up with another Tom. Played cat and mouse for over 45 minutes. The entire time I had them with 45 yards but it was so green and thick. They hung right off the side of the mowed ridge top. I switched trees 3 occasions trying to get as close as I could. They quit hammering at 830ish, so I packed up to get to work. Back at it tomorrow with a little better preparation! Where art thou Joe? Your missing it lol

Diablo54

Outside
Heard three different birds gobble up to 6 this morning then shut up from then till I left before 9. Saw two hens after 6:15 fly down feeding in the field for nearly 3 hours without a male bird in sight checking them out. They must have been put on a "do not do" list by the resident cock flock for some reason.
Had called this hen in to about 25 yards and decided to snap some pics down the barrel at her. What can I say....I was bored! Lol

Had to leave for a dentist appt, dang it was a great cool morning today!

Ric your back site has popped off the tab. Make sure you put it back on! Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This business of having to quit right after fly down stinks! No bird killed today, but we did gave a coyote charge into our setup @ 10 yds or so. Mason wasn't quick enough to get a shot. He trotted on over the ridge into a wide creek bottom. Soon after, we heard wings flapping several times and then he barked three or four times. Hope he didn't get our gobbler!

lung buster

hocking county
Heard some gobbling on the roost, nothing close enough to chase. Found 16 yellows so the wake up was not for nothing,lol. Wife texted saying she had been called in to work so I called it a day early to get our kids to school.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm watching a big longbeard that is hotter than the 4th of July right now! He strutted up for a hen and she walked off and left him. Its a huge open field and right now he is walking into the one spot on this farm we could set up... If Mason were not at school!!!!

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
WTF. Not a single gobble this morning compared to being covered yesterday. Wonder if I just caught them in an odd spot yesterday morning and they jump roosts. Wouldn't think so, I found areas that are tore up, strutting areas, leaves were all mulched up and it doesn't look like it was done by deer.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here is a pic I took through 10x binoculars with my cell. This is a new piece my neighbor bought that adjoins Paint Creek WA. I used to hunt back there and always wished I had permission to be where these birds are. Now I do, but we haven't gone after this flock yet. We've been watching two hens out in this field for the last couple of weeks, but today was the first time I've seen a gobbler out there. I heard this guy gobble from over a mile away, watched him walk 400+ yards up to a high spot where he strutted for one of the hens, only to have her walk right by him without so much as a handshake. This bird is VERY killable. Hopefully he's still around next week when we can get after them again. It's not a very good pic, but they are 8/10s of a mile from me... Sure was fun to watch a gobbler get the cold shoulder. I'd guess if there is anyone on the WA area today, he'll likely give 'em a shot.

Attachments

• Madison-20140509-01491.jpg
    Madison-20140509-01491.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 153