Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Chronicles - 2014 Edition

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
My daughter had a basketball game at 8 this morning and they lost so on our way home I told her we still had time to kill a turkey if she wanted to go, to my surprise she said Yea I wanna go. We got to the woods at 10 and heard one gobble so we got set up and at 10:30 they pop out and the first one to the decoy got shot. She really enjoyed it, I hope by next year she'll wanna try shooting one herself.

IMG_0444_zps05867b21.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I killed my second bird yesterday, and as I readily admit, I'm not afraid to shoot a jake if he acts right. I called in three, gobbling their beaks off, so I shot one of them. The other two came back to calls and hung around until after 9 am. I took a lot of video of them and thoroughly enjoyed having their company for over 2 hours. I don't think they were ever over 50 yds away, and often times inside of 10. The one I killed was the ringleader of the boys without a doubt and I'm not sure the other two knew what to do with him laying dead right next to me. :)

Attachments

• Buckskin-20140504-01472.jpg
    Buckskin-20140504-01472.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 151

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It sure is! I haven't got a clue why that trips my trigger, but being in the woods with gobbling birds is something I look forward to every year. It's just good clean fun with no pressure to succeed. I could care less if I ever kill another turkey, but I sure hope to have the chance to hear some more! Mason and I have been watching the video I took yesterday, and most of what we've been watching the birds aren't even visible, but they gobbled a lot! Love to hear 'em!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Were on the same page Brock, if they aint gobbling im not interested. My ultimate goal is to have a place that I can lay in bed with the window open and listen to birds gobble at daylight.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's awesome Brock! Congrats dude. No denying Mason got it honest! :smiley_clap:

That boy was severely ticked off at me this morning. I found a good bird with a couple of jakes last night at my neighbors place. Its about a mile from home so I told Mason we'd give 'em a go before school today. I woke up to rain and thunder, went back to sleep. By 6 Mason was at the side omy bed asking me to get up and go... It was still raining and thundering! I don't know if he'll ever forgive me :).

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
So here is a developing turkey story that to me is funny (probably just because I'm personally involved)...

Last evening, Mason and I drove around a bit looking for a turkey to hunt close to our house. He is wanting to skip school one day this week to hunt, particularly on the days they do not have OAA testing. That would normally be OK with me, but I am having to work at the shop both morning and evenings this week due to a girl quitting. So, that leaves me with being able to get him out on quick hunts before school, therefore needing to be close to home. We found one last night, probably one my neighbor has been seeing, and actually took pictures of last Sunday afternoon as he strutted with a few hens right beside his truck!

I told Mason would we go kill him this morning, but due to weather I opted to stay in bed. Mason was furious, but I didn't let that disturb my sleep much. :) He just called me as he had just jumped off the bus at home, while I am here at the shop currently. He didn't let his morning bus ride go to waste. He used it to road scout a bit, and the reason for his call was pure untamed childhood excitement! He saw a big gobbler strutting with a handful of hens right behind the neighbor's original farmhouse. (Ric, this is over at Bill's, the first ravine behind the house). With it being fairly early, Mason concluded the birds must be roosting in the closest patch of timber and is certain we can kill one early. I gotta go with his gut feeling on this one. Can't wait to see how it works out in the morning, rain or shine!

I'd be willing to bet he is the only redneck kid on that bus ride that had his little fat face pressed against the glass looking for turkeys... rotflmao

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like fun Brock, can't wait to hear the outcome and good luck. Man that boy has the fever.haha Somtimes I wish I still had it like that but like you said if they aren't gobbling I'm done.lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Still in the blind, had a hen feeding in the field 200 yards out so I purred and she fed right to me. Its been raining off and on so I thought I'd hit the blind.