Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trophy Cam Users

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What models are you running?

After checking prices on eBay, I'm thinking I'll roll the Trophy Cam route. I wouldn't mind a little feedback regarding what model you have and any other tips/advice you would have. Do they accommodate a Python Lock?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Same here... I was actually going to start a thread this morning regarding this cams. I've been really impressed with the pics I've seen.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I started out with the 5mp version in November of 2009. It was a good cam, except for the fact that the internal time clock was slow. After a few weeks in the field, it would be a couple days behind on time. Later that winter, the 8mp Trophy Cam hit the market, so I sent my 5mp back to Cabelas and exchanged it for the newer model. Since mid-December 2009, I've had this camera in the woods... non-stop. The first set of batteries, which were Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, lasted well over a year... yielding around 9 or 10 thousand pictures and a couple hundred short video clips. I'm now on my second set of batteries and they've been going strong for almost two months.

Even thought there are three options for picture resolution, I always run mine on the 8 megapixel setting. With the capability of accepting a 16gig SD card, there's no worry of it ever filling up. The daytime pictures are incredibly clear and sharp, allowing for me to zoom in on pictures without sacrificing clarity. Trigger time/range and IR flash range are outstanding, considering the relatively low cost of this cam.

I only have two bitches with this cam... and IMO, they really aren't a big deal... First, the nightime IR pics have a tendency to blur if the animal is moving. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable. I've heard there are firmware updates in regards to this, but I've checked Bushnell's website and the serial number of my cam is not affected by this update, apparently. Second, the twilight period right around dawn tends to confuse this camera. For a VERY short period of time, the camera flashes IR when it doesn't really need to, resulting in a picture that is virtually whited-out. Don't get me wrong, this doesn't really happen all that often. Out of a 1000 pictures, less than 10, or even 5, are whited-out. Again, IMO these really aren't legitimate complaints, but I don't have anything else to hate about the cam so it's worth mentioning.

I'll try to dig through some pics here in a bit to post up as examples. IMO, the Trophy Cam 8.0 is by far the best VALUE on the market for trail cameras.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some examples...

Try to find the turkey in this pic... I don't know how it captured it, but it did.

More pics can be found here... http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?3389-JB-s-Trail-Cam-Pics-2011

IR blur...

White-out...

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
That's it. I'm sold. Great pics Jbrown. Gonna go get a few of these. Thanks for bringing up this thread Jesse. I was just trying to figure this out myself and kept forgetting to put it on here.:smiley_chinrub:

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm a newbie, but mine seems to be performing well to this point. I have a trailcam thread started if you want to see a few of mine. I'm running the 8 mp, but have it set on 5mp currently. I'm not very impressed with the night time pic, but I only had a few series out of over 1300 pics. I'm using a smaller python cable (3/16).

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jesse,

I forgot to mention, the 8mp Trophy Cam DOES work with a python lock, but the 5mp version does not. The newer model has two enlarged openings on the back, where the tree strap slips through, for the python cable to slide through. But keep in mind, this only secures the back half of the camera to the tree. The front can still be opened and your memory card taken.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The guys covered it well. Some blur on night time pics if moving. Some white out issues in between hours. Supposed firmware updates which I still haven't figured out how to update. I might end up sending several back in for the updates. Battery life is amazing. I don't care about the picture quality, but I must say it is certainly impressive. I really just want to see antlers. lol The quality does allow for zooming in though and this is good. I have 2009 and 2010 versions. 2010 version is a better quality picture and does allow the python lock. 2009 version I didn't have as many issues with white outs or night time blur, that said I did have to send back a couple of the 2009 models which had issues.

This brings up another good point not covered: Warranty work is respectable in turn around time and they are available if you have a problem. I have heard horror stories with the Cuddes for warranty work. Might be better now, but I know it was an issue in the past. There is another item not covered. Bushnell has 2yr warranty if I am not mistaken.

If there is a serious desire to make a bulk purchase let me know. I purchased them in quantity last year and bought them at $140/each when they were averaging around $175-200. It would be worth your investment to lookup Optics Planet and buy the "Bear Proof Box" at the same time. They worked with me on price with all items last year. I have a direct phone number and name of the sales rep I dealt with if you want it.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
BEST camera ive owned.... very reliable and never had any issues. I own 8 of them and love them!!! They are small and easy to conceal, no click or noise when coming out of wake up mode, and triggers very fast! The picture quality is great, i have found that at night time the best pics come from turn the camera down to 5mp instead of 8mp. For some reason making it 5mp makes the pics alot less blurry, but either way they are still good pictures.... Heres a few from my trophy cams....... They are compatiable with the python lock as well

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Put them out now and wont change the batteries until january on the first frigid outbreak.... in decent weather (above 40) 8 AA's will last a year taking 3k plus pics every 2-3 weeks also!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Put them out now and wont change the batteries until january on the first frigid outbreak.... in decent weather (above 40) 8 AA's will last a year taking 3k plus pics every 2-3 weeks also!

Agreed... one year + battery life if you use the lithium AAs.

Rutin, that last pic that you posted shows moon phase and temperature... what model is that? Is that standard on the 8mp version now?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ah, mine do not have the viewer. I was wondering too. Makes sense now. Rutin-those are friggin' awesome pics buddy! Gave me a chubby to see those deer!