Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Walleye Run

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Agreed with everything Nate posted. Catch rates increase due to alot heavier fish movement during those times. Air temp and water temp dictate so much of that. Every morning as soon as the sun warms the water a fraction the numbers increase due to movement

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I've fished it for 30 years I've seen it all. There's plenty of times where it's slow for long periods of time then everyone is catching them. If afternoons is the best time why is everyone standing there an hour before daylight to get that first cast in? I know you gotta get there to get your spot or you won't get in...so you're saying its all about fish movement? Where are these walleye hiding at during the times nobody is catching them? I mean you can cast across the river and snag the guys line on the other side....and guys in the middle of the river are covering the wider locations. Just trying to put this puzzle together.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
There's no "best time" from day to day, it's still fishing. Guys line up in the morning, myself included, to ensure they get the drift they want to fish. When the run is heavy, it's hard to waltz right into the drift you want to fish. When nobody is "catching" usually this means the hole/drift they're fishing has ran low because of fish being caught, or the fish migrating up river or a combination of the two.

Reactions: Redhunter1012

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
IMG_20210324_182440488.jpg

Bowkills

Nw oh
I throughly think God told me I am not ment to fish run any longer today. I said, "God I'd be happy with one nice walleye today." So was out at blue grass not at 1st cast but not way to long after. Watch a guy real in 2 fish before I get in the water. I have the whole middle section of the island to myself. I start casting. Land two carp and hit on a nice eater eye. Oh yeah it's on! It's early! So get all settled thinking here we go!!!! Then God sends a flock of geese flying down into me. One goose flys straight into my line after I bombed it way out there. So rig and/goose are going downstream. I hustled and cut my line as I didn't want to hook a goose. I believe it went away unharmed I hope.. So I retie, f me my line is basically gone. End up short casting until the dnr says get off the island due to raising water level with one fish. I saw limits early early today. I can't ever win at the river. Either snags so bad every cast or a damn goose flys through ur line. They were slaughtering them. I think I'm getting the boat started now and fish elsewhere. I'll only go back if it's down pouring rain as I like my space and it's going to get stupid packed soon.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Future reference take 2 poles with you next time. 😁
I had an extra back at the truck but that was a hall and I had some but not enough line left it seems. I have an extreme love/hate relationship with the maumee. Right now we are sleeping in seperate rooms until she draws me back in.......if she does....

loose_is_fast

McClure
Today was ridiculous fishing. I was done at 8:40. Ended up catching 17 at the east end of the island handing off to multiple people. My buddy showed up when I got to the parking lot and was going to head out but I told him I would take him to buttonwood since the river was rising. We caught his 6 in less than an hour at buttonwood.

Attachments

• 20210326_084239.jpg
    20210326_084239.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 120
  • FB_IMG_1616792990604.jpg
    FB_IMG_1616792990604.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 109

Bowkills

Nw oh
Today was ridiculous fishing. I was done at 8:40. Ended up catching 17 at the east end of the island handing off to multiple people. My buddy showed up when I got to the parking lot and was going to head out but I told him I would take him to buttonwood since the river was rising. We caught his 6 in less than an hour at buttonwood.
where u in the line off the part the sticks out into the river where it narrows and all the boats are?

Bowkills

Nw oh
Humble pie.....help needed I guess....So it's obvious im doing something wrong. . Just getting my weight snagged vurtual every cast. I move around looking for snaggless spots. I cast let it drift feel it pecking rocks then buried, or buried early in the cast. When a larger pull happens like it feels like it's getting hung up I'll attempt to pop it up which generally works but you know when it's solid buried. I can't see going lighter that 1/2 once with the current current is ripping pretty good. I brake the same ratio of weights to leaders. It's not the knots as it takes a major effort to brake off a weight. I'll use in line weights and egg weights with a barrel swivel both seem the same. Not sure what else I can do.

Bowkills

Nw oh
It would've been a 1/2 or 3/8 oz drift where you were. I was running a 5/8oz yesterday morning in same general area. 7-9 foot leader. Landed 21 legals in 2.5 hours. Pay attention to current seams. Those walleye are drawn to them like magnets. Figure out which side of the seem they are.
I'll try again next rain day.

Reactions: MoonLab

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Next time you catch a "legal one" walk to the bank to the first green pants you see and ask if it's legal if the hook is on the outside of the mouth. Not trying to be a dick here but saying it's legal is in the gray area for sure.