Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wanting to go bowfishing bad!!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I use a Oneida party with no-gloves on the string. No sites. For a reel I use a muzzy reel and reel seat and a straight shooter rod.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
ok, couple questions.....why can't a person use a compound with 60 draw? is that to much energy? and what is a reel seat?

You could. Just too much power, kind of an overkill, It would get stuck in the bottom a bunch. A reel seat is the place the reel attaches. Some guys have a short rod that screws in the stab hole on the bow for attaching the reel..

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
As far as bows anything in the 40 lb draw weight range works well. Like jackalope said, higher draw weights tend to stick the arrow in the bottom and it sucks having to turn the boat around a bunch for stuck arrows.

badger

*Supporting Member*
As far as bows anything in the 40 lb draw weight range works well. Like jackalope said, higher draw weights tend to stick the arrow in the bottom and it sucks having to turn the boat around a bunch for stuck arrows.

40# -45# is plenty for Ohio bowfishing. You will find you do more snap shooting, never hitting an anchor, at least with a recurve. I bet most arrows are loosed at 24 or 25" draw, maybe less.