Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wanting to go bowfishing bad!!

So. Ohio Outfitters

Guys,

I'm wanting to go bowfishin BAD, and I mean BAD! I've never been and would love to make a show out of it for sudden impact, but we don't want to go with an outfitter. First, what setup do you recommend? I shoot a 70 lb bow, and secondly, can any of you experienced guys take me out? please, please pretty please........I'll put you on the show with us, and I'll pay for the expenses for the day

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Is the ohio river around marietta to far for you to travel cause I think I can hook you up with some pro staffers from Cajun Archery

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Carpn on here has the set up. Boat and all.

Badger does it also. I go quite a bit but I hit the rivers/creeks in my canoe. Not really great for TV having my half naked butt looking like I am trying for a part in Deliverance. :)

Beentown

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dave.. Next year I would love to get you into the magic Milo and I shot.. The problem is it only lasts about 2 weeks in early spring during spawn and then it's done. As fast as you can take them off the arrow and get it back on the string.. Quilbacks, Redhorse sucker, commons, and gar stacked deep.. 3 of us shot over 200+ fish in under 3 hours. But that would be next spring..

As for this year. Carpin would be the best bet, but i think he shoots for a show also. I know he has a big get together in late summer on Erie with camping, bowfishing etc. lots of boats to hop on. I'll see if i can't dig it up for you.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
ewww. That's a tough one. It depends on water temps and rain as it's spawn. He usually keeps and eye on the situation and just says now is the time. I'll get a ballpark couple weeks slot from Eric.

Buckmaster

Portage
Jake is affiliated with Aim Low Productions. He's got a nice rig and the knowledge to accompany it.

I'm sure you'll have some success and fun with some of these guys.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I can probably get ya out next yr no problem. We can hit Erie. It has the best bowfishing in the state IMO. Spring and early summer are best. I just gotta get the OK from the guys I staff for before we would film for your show. If ya just wanna shoot for fun we can go whenever.

Ohiohunter95

Rest In Peace Zach
I guess I'll throw something up here since badger has been too lazy to respond for our end, their isn't much carp fishing left to be done out by us. Weeds are starting to grow too thick, one of our spots is low on water level besides the fact that bowfishing has apparently become a hit around mosquito and has been hit hard throughout the summer before we could get in. Only other chance that we could take people out was if a buddy of ours had his boat together and ready for Erie, which isn't a good chance due to work and his ol' lady. Next year though be more than happy for us to take ya out and land ya some.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Nothing to great. A couple in the low 30s and a 28 lb buffalo. Alot of gar
Wind was A tough direction. Pretty weedy to and the fish know how to hide.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Here is a pic of the buffalo

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Those buffs are awesome. I remember growing up we would bowfish them in the creek. If they took off they would flip their tail one hard time and you could feel it in your chest.. BOOM..