Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What a week!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been holding off on posting pics of Moe on the public side out of fear for the wrong people seeing it and I'm still a little worried about that to be honest. But at the end of the day, I love sharing these pics with everyone, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that no one of "interest" happens across these pics! I had one of the most amazing weeks of pictures I have ever had this week and here is what's cooking on the home front!!!

Most of you remember Moe from last year, but here is a refresher...

He started to show up again in early June after I moved a camera to the ridge where I was expecting him to travel from bed to food...

After getting that picture, I knew I was in the right area, so I pulled the camera and gave him a few weeks to grow. When the timing was right, I went back in to hang the set I hope to kill him from and threw up the camera about 40 yards from my stand. It wasn't long before he was back in action!!!

The second round of pictures did not give me the look I was after, I wanted a daytime picture and I wanted to see a pattern! As they say, the third time is a charm!!! He was in front of the camera every night this past week during shooting light in the evenings. He even made some appearances in the morning and at midday in the midst of a heat wave!!! So I got to see a bit of a pattern and I got the shots I was after!!!

All told, Moe has given me close to 1,000 pictures this summer and I'm sure there are plenty more to come. I dropped 200 pounds of ear corn for him yesterday and plan to return in two weeks with more corn, apples, and a fresh battery for the cam. For the first time in my decade long bowhunting career, I feel like I'm on a buck that can be killed opening day. It's just a matter of playing the waiting game now...

Not only was Moe doing his best to give me some great pictures, but my old friend Captain Jack decided he would throw me a curveball and add himself to the list of shooters for the year! I still think he needs another year, but I know I'll be alone in that thinking. So if I'm still holding a buck tag by November, a 20" wide 8-point with split G2's will be more than adequate for me!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I see a tag in his ear..........

Wow man! Moe is looking real good. Don't be surprised if he disappears for a spell sometime in late August......hell of a nice buck!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
WOW......Cant wait to see these two hard horned....but I hope one is on the ground in full velvet!!

He's got me hard-horned, the buck deer, not Jesse. LMAO

Jesse, I really and truly hope you can bust this buck the opening week of the season. I think it could easily happen as long as you play your cards right and continue to be patient. Oh, and if a collar doesn't get in the way!

Last edited:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
He's got me hard-horned, the buck deer, not Jesse. LMAO

Jesse, I really and truly hope you can bust this buck the opening week of the season. I think it could easily happen as long as you play your cards right and continue to be patient. Oh, and if a collar doesn't get in the way!

Uhhhhh greg, I know someone else who is waaaayyy over due for shooting a buck......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks fellas. I know there is a lot that can happen between now and September 24th, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I learned that lesson that hard way the past few seasons! All I can do is keep the cams running, keep him feeling safe, and give him plenty of food/water. I did some damage control around the neighborhood last night and I think I'm in good shape as far as pressure is concerned. He has plenty of water and the food sources are all around him, so he should be fairly content. Given how close he stayed to our place last fall, I like to think he'll do that same this year. But once that velvet sheds, these old boys become different creatures. So there is no sense in counting my chickens before they hatch, although I do have the perfect spot picked out for a sweet ass mount!!! :smiley_clap:

I have two stands to choose from opening weekend that I feel could give me a shot at taking him out early. I'll need a perfect wind to get in his wheelhouse, but I won't push it. The back up stand is a great observation stand that provides great access and a low impact hunt. Unless he is consistently coming through in the morning, I'll spend opening morning with Tracie elsewhere and return the first afternoon to give it my best shot. If it works like it did last year, I'll keep my fingers crossed he doesn't lay down on me!!! LOL!

I hunt 7 cameras yesterday on 3 different properties, so I fully expect to have a couple more shooters lined up before the season comes in. Moe will be my priority this year regardless of what shows up given our history together. I'd rather shoot him than a buck 20" bigger that I've never seen. It is all about the story and for now, he and I are working on a story for the ages. Only time will tell how it will end...

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
You def have alot of good things happening to you and for good reasons. I believe karma is playing a big part in all the work you've put into these properties as well as helping others out who dont have land themselves. I would love nothing more than to jump on here after the opener and see you holding big Moe! Def a buck of a lifetime with lots of character and memories, he will make a good story!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
big bases: check
eye guard/base kicker: check
split brow tines: check
g2 kicker: check
g3 kicker turning into a drop point: check

That beast has great character. Great luck with it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse,
What happened to CR?

No clue to be honest, but I figure he is still alive. We put very little pressure on that farm after the first month of the season last year. Greg and I need to verify we can still hunt there this fall in the next week or two and then get our cams out. I expect to see him again if we do end up hunting there this season. If I did get pics of him, it would be hard for me not to go after him as well. I owe him one. Make that two!!!

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Good luck with Moe this year Jesse, he has everything from the checklist. Just be patient and all this hardwork will payoff, I hope to see a pic of you and him together!