Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What did you do for the deer today?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Ate the last piece of backstrap so I can hunt hungry next weekend.
661FB5E5-F6EA-4489-A90C-1D4B33522EB8.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
More for the future of the sport than the deer, but we toured the farm with the mother/daughter combo that bought my donated hunt at a fundraiser last November. She's the same age as Kaydence, so K will be along as my fellow guide. Here you can see she's TOO cool for school 😎 I used to work with her mom and we still collaborate on projects occasionally. Been fun seeing her get hyped for the hunt and she's shooting light out, so things could get exciting on Saturday!

e4d5b886-dbaa-475e-8f67-d6879af309b8.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20221122_131246.jpg

Picked up another Barronett pop-up ground blind at a big savings last week. So, I pulled out the now two that I have, to air them out and start getting them ready.

One for each farm for this year's gun & muzzy seasons. One with the CRP camo pattern and the other in the Woodland.

I really like this brand and type of pop-up ground blind. Very roomy, durable, easy to setup & breakdown, and light on the back while 'still hunting' out to whatever spot/area I wish to hunt for the next few days. The chair I really like as well. A little bit on the bulky heavy side to carryout, but very comfortable when all setup correctly, sitting in it.

Now getting ready to head out for today's evening hunt.

This is what I did for the deer today.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Put out safety lines for most of the treestands for next week. That way if anyone who comes down to hunt wants they have the ability to use it, on them if they don't. I also offer basic harnesses if anyone needs one.

Still surprises me that of the 11-15 guys that hunt the farm each year that only about 3-4 of us use them.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Both sites were polished. Replenished 100#'s @theotherfarm a moment ago. Last Monday I think is when I did the same.
20221221_150518.gif

Attachments

• 8ee1c94f-b41d-4a2a-8aa0-8970baa6edb3.jpg
    8ee1c94f-b41d-4a2a-8aa0-8970baa6edb3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 80dfe738-4ec0-46ab-8099-cfc7f6b49384.jpg
    80dfe738-4ec0-46ab-8099-cfc7f6b49384.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Was a great day to get out today..got some mineral sites ready,took a stand down and saw several bucks still holding both sides. Got a couple new stand sites trimmed out this week also, one along a really nice creek funnel and crossing.Only hung the stand about 15 feet high and will add some cover to the tree before season, they have the bank trenched out from years of use. 2 more stands to get down and a few more mineral sites to prepare on another farm, feels good to be way ahead this year with this nice weather. Took pictures of a neat old 2 row corn picker.
20230218_112710.jpg
20230218_112651.jpg
Screenshot_20230218_135835_USB Media Explorer.jpg
Screenshot_20230218_184702_Gallery.jpg
20230218_110457.jpg
20230218_123500.jpg
20230218_113254.jpg
20230218_123146.jpg
20230218_123208.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
25 DAYS!

That is how long it took for the very first deer to eat out of one of the feed troughs since I placed the first one back on May 6th. Now I think the flood gate has been officially opened for the rest to follow before I consider it a true success.

This is an update regarding the two feed toughs I built last month and placed at the feed station for the new year.

This would be the fifth year ever since I cared to carve out a small, wooded parcel area right behind our cabin of all the honeysuckle shrubs, trees, tree stumps and debris so I could attempt feed any wildlife within the immediate area.

Each year afterwards, the number of deer and many other Ohio native wildlife species have been increasingly showing up at that location steadily and I am truly grateful to see it happen.

When the first feed tough was placed nearly a month ago, deer have been showing up regularly, daily, as usual, however each showed a frightened behavior when discovering the troughs, minimizing the typical amount of time spent at that location. As each day passed though, more deer displayed increased curiosity of the newly placed feed troughs and slowly attempted to investigate each of them over the course of the last three weeks.

I knew it would take some time for the deer to get acclimated or acquainted with them, and I was confident it would happen eventually. Of course, I did use a little persuasion to help things along, such as leaving a little bit of a corn on the ground that led right to the corn trough, and ‘WAWLA’, it finally worked as you’ll get to see in the shared video.

Within the video, the behavior displayed by the deer should provide some context as to what I observed over the course of the last few weeks; shy, timid, and scared while trying to warm up to the presence of the new feed troughs.

Now I expect to see more deer feed out of both troughs relatively soon since the first deer fed out of one of them yesterday. No more corn will be laid out onto the ground anymore going forward.

The video is a little over twelve minutes long of a trail camera photography showing two young bucks from yesterday that spent nearly forty minutes at the feed station in daylight.

I’m very pleased to provide this update to you all and I will continue to share even more within this year’s hunt journal later this month.

Thanks for reading & watching!

20230616_191826.jpg

Attempting to establish another meaningful feed site location on the north side of the property. This is what I did for the deer this afternoon all the while being blowed at for nearly the entire hour by one upset deer nearby 😂

This was the second custom built feed trough that I pulled out last year from the main feed site location to the south when the deer numbers were way down from the EHD outbreak within the county last year. Now things seem to be looking on the up-n-up with regards to the number of deer living on the property today. Some are mature and just over the past couple of weeks, some newborns.

Further details and images will be shared at a later time and at a different location within the forum fairly soon. I'm trying to keep this short, tx!

Anyway, now you all know what I did for the deer today right here @home🏡

Attachments

• 20230616_192415.jpg
    20230616_192415.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230616_192450.jpg
    20230616_192450.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: finelyshedded

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
View attachment 179781

Attempting to establish another meaningful feed site location on the north side of the property. This is what I did for the deer this afternoon all the while being blowed at for nearly the entire hour by one upset deer nearby 😂

This was the second custom built feed trough that I pulled out last year from the main feed site location to the south when the deer numbers were way down from the EHD outbreak within the county last year. Now things seem to be looking on the up-n-up with regards to the number of deer living on the property today. Some are mature and just over the past couple of weeks, some newborns.

Further details and images will be shared at a later time and at a different location within the forum fairly soon. I'm trying to keep this short, tx!

Anyway, now you all know what I did for the deer today right here @home🏡

Quick follow-up regarding the new northern feed site creation.

There was some deer activity on the very first night after I placed the second trough however, I failed to turn on the trail camera after I moved it that evening. I ended up taking a couple of snapshots of the tracks the next morning though.

20230617_083802.jpg

I also need to fine tune and adjust LEAFTRAIL';s trail camera a bit better too. That TC will not be the perminate camera for that location. I will be changing it out with a Tactacam Reveal X sometime later this week.

One of the resident adult does paid a visit this morning.

00000040.JPG

20230619_081730 (1).gif