Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What did you do for the deer today?

Cogz

Cogz
TX
8FD55C2B-017E-49DD-84A2-7D71FB71CE62.jpeg

Bowkills

Nw oh
So I'm cleaning up hinge cuts gone bad....7 or 8 years ago I cut a large an at the back end of my property that was mainly dead ash slippery elm and hackberry I think. So i was hopefull for an explosive of briers and new tree growth. Little did I know anything about prickly ash that was growing around the spot. A few years they took over....not reseaching the little bastards I thought just cut them. Mistake number 2 I cut and didn't treat them and didn't clean what I cut. I thought heck the briers will take over little did I know about regrowth. I had formed a massive mix of dead and live mix of sticker trees with no trails going through. Deer browse on them but they browse on everything so these were good for nothing except rabbits for my wants on my property. When they grow in thick not much grows underneath them. Prickly ash on my property line
image.jpeg
so last year I cut a 120yrd shooting lane through some of these turds and treated with tordon.
image.jpeg
it seems to have worked as no regrowth and bark falling off and the ground level....so I've cut and treated hundreds and hundreds of the Devils anus and burnt the piles in hopes of something different filling in.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
im up for planting some trees (as I did throw in some cedar and white pine )in this spot just to get a jump on these thing if they fill back in. This could be mistake number 3 but I've got a hatered toward these....shitloads of work and bloody arms and face dealing with these. What would u guys plant in here? It can get full sun but some spots r wet some aren't. I'm fine if grass normal hardwood regeneration briers or planted pines or anything but these dicks.

Stressless

Keene, OH
@Bowkills that's tough man... Only so much Time, $, and Energy one can towards habitat improvement. I've been impressed with the volume and quality of information on this guys channel: https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/

No sales pitch, No hype, FREE.

I suggest taking some time and reviewing his advice as well as others, he has over 1,000 clients Midwest - New England. I've followed a number of his FREE tips and advice - my farm is much better for it. This is one of his playlists: Powerful Buck Bedding Strategies For Habitat and Hunting

Be Well - Stressless

Reactions: Cogz

Bowkills

Nw oh
@Bowkills that's tough man... Only so much Time, $, and Energy one can towards habitat improvement. I've been impressed with the volume and quality of information on this guys channel: https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/

No sales pitch, No hype, FREE.

I suggest taking some time and reviewing his advice as well as others, he has over 1,000 clients Midwest - New England. I've followed a number of his FREE tips and advice - my farm is much better for it. This is one of his playlists: Powerful Buck Bedding Strategies For Habitat and Hunting

Be Well - Stressless. I like Jeff sturgis. I'd love to have a property set up for 100 percent whitetail hunting but I'm unwilling to make drastic changes. I see it for what it is my playground year round not just deer. If I owned another chunk it'd be a different story and go all out.

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
? For the group? What are these? Sorry for the shit pic it was snowing didn't wAnt to get the phone wet. Anyway these grow in and out of water. Seems like a willow. It took over a 130yrd area of wetlands bank. Deer rub the hell out of them and bed in the grass all throughout. They were planted 15-20 yrs ago. I'll get better pics of a bigger tree after while....wandering if transplants cuttings of new shoots would go in wet open spots?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Black willow is my guess. We have a bunch like that on our place and I believe my parents called them black willows. Whites tend to be more tree like in terms of vertical growth. Blacks are more "shrub" like and assuming your in Ohio, very common in our wetlands.

Reactions: Bowkills

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Definitely a species of willow. You can transplant cut “shoots” for sure, but it may be 50% success or less depending on the growing conditions. Moisture is your friend. If they dry out they’ll usually die.