Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What kind of set up do you have?

What kind of bow do you shoot?

• Mathews

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Bear

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Hoyt

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • PSE

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Parker

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Browning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Bowtech

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Diamond

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters

Kujo

Maumee, OH
I am going to be picking up a new compound bow after the season, and just wanting to know what a lot of you use. I have an OLD bear whitetail II, so almost anything would be am upgrade. I am leaning toward a PSE, but have also heard a lot of good things about Hoyt. I will have maybe $500 total to complete the set up.

CdBurner

I am going to be picking up a new compound bow after the season, and just wanting to know what a lot of you use. I have an OLD bear whitetail II, so almost anything would be am upgrade. I am leaning toward a PSE, but have also heard a lot of good things about Hoyt. I will have maybe $500 total to complete the set up.

Check out some of the new Bowtech RAK (ready, aim, kill) setups. Totally ready to go. quiver, sight, rest are all included.

Look at the review here:
http://archeryreport.com/2010/12/2011-bowtech-assassin-spotlight-reviews/

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Elite baby....you will never be happier. Smooth fast shock free tack drivers!

+1

With 500 bucks, your options may be fairly limited. If you're not completely set on buying something brand new, check out the bows for sale over at ArcheryTalk.com... you can find some great deals on new and used bows there.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I shoot a Jennings compound and a Bear recurve.
Happy w/ both
Killed deer w/ both

rrr

PSE Baby G force.

It's been a wonderful first bow for me (thanks again lung buster). A lot of people have noted that it's fast, which is good. I'm comfortable with it and I love it.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Still stick with my baby for hunting:

Mathews LX
Copper John 5 pin
QAD Pro Ultra Rest
CX300 with either Montecs or Steelforce or Snypers on the end.
Scott Little Biddy Goose release
either Superstix or Limbsaver stabilizer

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
+2 on the Elites

I shoot a 2010 Elite Z28, G5 Expert Pro rest, Axcel Armortech 3 Pin sight, G5 Quiver, Easton Flatlines tipped with 100gr G5 Montecs.

I absolutely love this bow. I have shot just about every major brand over the last two years and nothing really compares, IMO. I will tell you though to check out the Diamond Lineup with that price range. They make very good stuff in both single and dual cams. When you go to buy accessories, check out archerytalk. You can find awesome deals on stuff that is good as new. I picked up my rest and sights there, and got both for a little over half the retail price.

upload.jpg

Last edited:

CdBurner

I might add, there was a shop around Washington PA that put all their Elites on Craigslist because they were not going to continue carrying them. You may be able to pick up a great deal on a new 2009-2010 model if you look. They are called Reeve's Sport Shop.

I'll check Craigslist and see if I can find the add.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
Thank you for all the input. I have to say, I am more confused now then before. May just look for the best deal on a PSE or Hoyt. I had never heard a good word about bow tech before, and have heard a ton of complaints about mathews also. thanks again!

Kujo said:
I have to say, I am more confused now then before. May just look for the best deal on a PSE or Hoyt.
Kujo,
Archery is full of personal choices and that's what attracts so many to it. :smiley_bril:

I suggest going out and physically putting your hands on as many bow as you can. This will make a HUGE difference in your selection. I don't recommend what's popular, but rather what fits YOU...and your wallet.

Some of the faster bows have a harsh draw cycle and have an abrupt stop at full draw that may be uncomfortable to the shooter. If an archer is after the "holy grail" of speed, then these are features that you'll have to endure.

What you intend to do with the bow may have some influence on your purchase. If you're just hunting and shooting some occassional 3D shoots, there's a huge selection of bows that will get the job done for you. If you plan to be competitive at 3D and intend to take longer shots (beyond 40 yards) while hunting, then you're going to want a faster shooting bow.

An example of one type of bow choice is the Martin Cheetah that I purchased from Cabelas, in '09.
* I wanted a parallel limb design, because they're smooth shooting and have less hand shock.
* I wanted a single cam, for less maintenance/tuning issues.
* I didn't want to pay $600+ for a bow that's going to be worth $300 in a year. Plus, $600 is a rifle and it'll have some resale value. I realize prices increase, for a number of reasons, but I don't see the price tag for some of these bows. :smiley_depressive:

I physically shot the bows that I was interested in purchasing, BEFORE I brought home the one that I have now. I don't like getting home with a purchase...any purchase and having "buyer's remorse". I'm extremely happy with my Martin Cheetah! I've enjoyed several 3D shoots and killed 4 deer with this bow.

There's a lot of good 3D shooting clubs in the Toledo/Michigan area and I've been to nearly all of them. These shoots are a good place to get ideas for your next bow...and bow accessories.

Hope this helps!
Good luck with your choices!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

CdBurner

If you've never heard a good word about bowtech then you haven't asked many people. They make one of the beat bows there are.

I'm no fanboy. Just sayin...

Kujo

Maumee, OH
CD, wasn't trying to get you worked up. I think BowHunt57 said it best. I can look at prices and listen to what people say till i'm blue in the face. i just need to get my hands on different bows and see what works for me.