Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What temp are you going to? What kind of rubs did you use? What temp are you smoking at? What wood are you using?

Smoker at 235 until they reach 203, I'll wrap them once they come out of the stall and climb past 160.

Rub is 1/1 pepper and kosher salt, with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and some Cavenders no salt Greek seasoning.

Wood is about a 70/30 blend of hickory and cherry give or take.

Water pan has 90% water some apple cider vinegar, a dash of soy sauce and two pears cut up that were in the kitchen that were over ripe.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
1.5 hours in. Sprayed them with a 60/40 mix of water and apple cider vinegar. Added some lump charcoal to the smoker box to impart some charcoal favor as it's a gas smoker. This raised the temp to 250 but I got it back down.
IMG_20190312_103301539.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On my last 2 pork butts I trimmed as much fat off as I could, knowing there was still some on the inside. I got a much better bark than I had been previously.

I leave about 1/4 inch of fat cap. When they're done I trim off the fat cap, flip it over, and slide the fat off the back of the bark and put the bark in the pile to spread.

Reactions: Dustinb80

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks good Joe. That smoker looks like it needs some more seasoning time!

Maiden voyage. Just put it together the day before yesterday and ran it for an hour to burn off any manufacturing nasties. Got it for a $100 from the local Bargain Hunt junk store. It was an unused Amazon return likely due to the dent on the top of the door. For $200 in savings a dent don't bother me any.

Matt

Norton, OH
Maiden voyage. Just put it together the day before yesterday and ran it for an hour to burn off any manufacturing nasties. Got it for a $100 from the local Bargain Hunt junk store. It was an unused Amazon return likely due to the dent on the top of the door. For $200 in savings a dent don't bother me any.
Hell of a buy.

Matt

Norton, OH
Tried the corned venison recipe from Hank Shaw's "Buck, Buck, Moose" cookbook. Turned out damn good! It was about a 2.5 lb roast, sat it in the brine for 3 days before throwing it in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes with beef broth, onion, garlic, and a few spices. Finished the cabbage and taters in about 10 minutes after removing the roast. Sorry for the shit picture. I ate too fast.
20190313_203816.jpg
20190313_203856.jpg