Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thank you ! I dunno if I ever talked about this much. If I did, it was probably before your arrival here John. I've got 5 different smokers ( they're like drinking beer, you just can't have a few ) and one day it dawned on me.... Hey, I need a BBQ pit ! I'm always on Utube & I started studying what others are doing. I wanted something cheap, easy & eye appealing as possible. This doubles as a smoker, so there is versatility. I don't use this as much as I should . It's very easy to mess with, very relaxing & very aromatic. All you need is time, you can't just set it & forget it You have to stay on top of it..... patience .....& beer. An added bonus is that I always have deer come thru when I'm sitting there. Sometimes I wonder if there's a connection.

Anyway, I don't have any other pics of my build, but here's a video that led me to building mine.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Ohio surf and turf . Grilled walleye caught yesterday .
IMG_20190519_172605294_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190519_171630436.jpg

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here we go ! All winter long I've been watching youtube videos of outdoor rotisserie cooking. Just sitting back, watching a chunk of meat go round & round over an open fire had me salivating. I had just recently received a kit that will allow me to cook over my Weber, UDS , BBQ pit and even configure it over an open fire without the ring. Today I'm doing an initial test run with a bourbon injected boneless pork butt. My mop consist of that whiskey, maple syrup, jalapeno ketchup and a few other ingredients. You can really smell the peach bourbon in the air. I need to modify the ring so it will fit the UDS better. The UDS is my go to for long cooks as it will keep an even temp ... set it & forget it.

20190521_123505.jpg

20190521_132811.jpg

20190521_144137.jpg

20190521_144149.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go ! All winter long I've been watching youtube videos of outdoor rotisserie cooking. Just sitting back, watching a chunk of meat go round & round over an open fire had me salivating. I had just recently received a kit that will allow me to cook over my Weber, UDS , BBQ pit and even configure it over an open fire without the ring. Today I'm doing an initial test run with a bourbon injected boneless pork butt. My mop consist of that whiskey, maple syrup, jalapeno ketchup and a few other ingredients. You can really smell the peach bourbon in the air. I need to modify the ring so it will fit the UDS better. The UDS is my go to for long cooks as it will keep an even temp ... set it & forget it.

View attachment 79101
View attachment 79102

View attachment 79103

View attachment 79104
Holy crap that looks incredible!! How was it??

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Holy crap that looks incredible!! How was it??

The bad ....
I struggled with the fire. I hate long cooks when you have to keep an eagle eye on it. I never did get the meat to my I T mark. It was cold all day for the most part & it wasn't a fun sit though I did drink beer. Parts of the meat were dry. I'd certainly do this again in the UDS.
The good ....
Wonderful whiskey mop. The slight peach and then hickory fire aroma in the air was amazing. The taste of the mop on the meat was suppose to make you think of wooden bourbon barrels and I was not disappointed. Most of the meat was good. I would do this again in the weber just the same.