Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's good TOO?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Headlights will be my next purchase for it. Did you ever try using a red light? I'm going to be riding in within 80-90 yards of my stand so I thought a red light would be good for when I get close. I think I'll use your vegetable oil trick, I'm ocd about scent control.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Headlights will be my next purchase for it. Did you ever try using a red light? I'm going to be riding in within 80-90 yards of my stand so I thought a red light would be good for when I get close. I think I'll use your vegetable oil trick, I'm ocd about scent control.

For the final walk in, I've used red lenses but not for my ride. I like being able to see what I might be running over. Last thing you want is to take a spill and fugg up your bow, or stick yourself with an arrow.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
For the final walk in, I've used red lenses but not for my ride. I like being able to see what I might be running over. Last thing you want is to take a spill and fugg up your bow, or stick yourself with an arrow.
Good point. How close would you typically ride to your stand before you ditched the bike and walked? I know it mostly depends on the terrain.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Good point. How close would you typically ride to your stand before you ditched the bike and walked? I know it mostly depends on the terrain.

The terrain, hunting style etc was a different ball game than hunting here. I was typically riding almost three miles from camp and then walking the last couple hundred yards. Sometimes I rode within bow range of my blind, it all depended on the area and the setup. I did try it a few times here for whitetail and the field edges proved to be a workout. Plus it wasn't as easy to be quiet as it is riding on an open, sand covered sendaro.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have tried it. I would recommend doing some test rides first Chad. Even here in flat country those bikes can be noisy. I have ridden down the road, along the field edge in my neighbor's lawn and most of the way to the woods. Chains, shifting gears, squeaks. . . Might not be as quiet as you think. Thus the test run suggestion. Might be able to reduce or minimize any noises on the bike prior to season.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I plan on doing a couple test runs this weekend. I need to put up trail markers so I know where to stop. I won't be shifting any gears, its all flat with no bumps.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
New wraps are on their way...

uploadfromtaptalk1439331944945.jpg