Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's in your cup?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
20221123_172225.jpg

Bear fight and surly gnome... things might get a little rowdy tonight

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did hear a rumor recently that there might not be anymore Wellers (Reds and Greens) dropping in Ohio the rest of the year or ever. Don’t know if there’s any validity to it or not but it came from a pretty reliable source.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I did hear a rumor recently that there might not be anymore Wellers (Reds and Greens) dropping in Ohio the rest of the year or ever. Don’t know if there’s any validity to it or not but it came from a pretty reliable source.

I'm honestly okay with that as long as the id10ts that stand in line every day waiting to see what dropped at store X don't go after stuff I actually like. I buy the Weller green and reds not for me but for trading fodder or for thank you's for people. I think both bottles are seriously overhyped and they don't taste that great to my palate compared to many other easier to find and cheaper bottles.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm honestly okay with that as long as the id10ts that stand in line every day waiting to see what dropped at store X don't go after stuff I actually like. I buy the Weller green and reds not for me but for trading fodder or for thank you's for people. I think both bottles are seriously overhyped and they don't taste that great to my palate compared to many other easier to find and cheaper bottles.
I really like the Special Reserve Wellers(green) for the price. Have you tried the Michters Small Batch yet Doug?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Opened up a bottle of Redwood Empire's "Lost Monarch" a blend of straight bourbon and rye whiskeys. Its an easy sipper, good flavors but nothing stands out other than its not the caramel/vanilla bomb of an eagle rare/blantons/AAA,/etc but its still good for the nights when I want a different flavor. I think it'd do well in an old fashioned also.

Ohio-Style Beer Cheese​

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, grated (I used minced garlic, about a tablespoon)
One 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably lager, at room temperature (I used Mooshead Lager)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
One 8-ounce block sharp Cheddar, grated (I used good shredded Sargento Sharp Cheddar about 12 oz.)
1/4 cup heavy cream
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Melt the butter in a medium pot (I used a dutch oven to smoke on the pellet grill) over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and saute for 1 minute. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the beer and mustard and cook, stirring, for a few minutes until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken. Whisk in the grated cheese a little at a time. Once all the cheese has been added, continue to cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and just beginning to bubble, another 5 to 7 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and serve with soft or hard pretzels.

That's the mixing recipe ^^^

When I did this I doubled the recipe. Once the mixture is all melted I then put it on the pellet grill uncovered @225 for 1-1/2 hours. If you are only making the recipe above then you probably will want to cut the cook time in half. You can stir occasionally mid-way to make sure it isn't sticking bad to the bottom but a nice crust over the top is what I went for. Served well with warm pretzel rolls and/or warm baguette's.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Starting off with some Good Times cigar blend, then Whiskey Thief dessert barrel and gonna finish the evening with some Bookers