Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your choice of handgun for close range coyote hunting?

Jormangund

10mm or 45 acp will put the Mack down on a coyote farther than you're likely to be able to get a good hit on them personally I carry a 1911 modified for 45 super but that's only to increase penetration on larger animals. Either will do so whatever you like best I squirrel hunt with my 45 also cast or fmj doesn't do much damage. I also have a T/C Contender with a 357 maximum barrel but that's not close range anymore lol

Jormangund

What for sale? The 45 super is really only some springs and a different firing pin retainer for the 1911 with a hotter load in a slightly stronger case mine still functions with mild cast 45 acp loads but it'll push a 230 grain bullet 1100 fps and as far as the 357 maximum mine was a 10 inch octagon we rechambered to Max it's a handful with that little barrel. If you want to know more about either message me on here dad also just built a 45 raptor on a mauser action. It's pretty much a rimless 460 s&w uses same bullets and load data but can be used in a standard length 308 or 30-06 bolt action was getting 2600 fps with 230 grain bullets and was still 8 grains below Max and shooting about 1 inch groups at 100 yards. We've built a lot of guns to the point we tinker with odd ball stuff.

I've reconsidered my thoughts on the "challenge" of hunting coyotes with a handgun. After talking with Steve Criner (The Dog Soldier), his thought were... "Yes, it's challenging. However, if I'm going out to KILL coyotes, I'm taking the shotgun. If I'm hunting them, I'd consider taking a handgun."

I've hunted with handguns, for many years, but I also realize the killing proficiency difference between the two weapons, in hunting situations. I'd rather be able to brag about how many coyotes that I've killed vs. the fact that I've killed a few coyotes with a handgun. I don't want ANY of them to get away!

Bowhunter57

Come on, don't give up before you even started!
Bigslam51,
Okay...you talked me into it. 😁
I figured I might as well have the options of weapon choice. I purchased a R.I.A. in 10mm with a 6" match barrel, which I'll most likely use for deer.

I'm still looking at either a Canik 9mm in the TP9SFX or a Taurus 66 SS in 357. (Ruger and S&W are over the rainbow for pricing :rolleyes:)
The pros and cons of these 2 choices are buying ammo for the 9mm, because I don't want to reload for an auto-loader. The 10mm is a pain, but I already own it and it's going to stay in the safe. As for the 357, I still have reloading dies, loaded ammo and components from the last revolver that I owned. So, purchasing another one would make a little more sense. 🤔 Just the same, I've seen too many videos on the Canik with their reliability and accuracy, wow, amazing. 😎

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Bigslam51,
Okay...you talked me into it. 😁
I figured I might as well have the options of weapon choice. I purchased a R.I.A. in 10mm with a 6" match barrel, which I'll most likely use for deer.

I'm still looking at either a Canik 9mm in the TP9SFX or a Taurus 66 SS in 357. (Ruger and S&W are over the rainbow for pricing :rolleyes:)
The pros and cons of these 2 choices are buying ammo for the 9mm, because I don't want to reload for an auto-loader. The 10mm is a pain, but I already own it and it's going to stay in the safe. As for the 357, I still have reloading dies, loaded ammo and components from the last revolver that I owned. So, purchasing another one would make a little more sense. 🤔 Just the same, I've seen too many videos on the Canik with their reliability and accuracy, wow, amazing. 😎
Lol Bigslam is no longer an active member. Hasn't been for a few years now.

• Wow
Reactions: Bowhunter57

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There were indeed some things behind the scenes that lead to his departure. The reality of forums is if they last long enough, the cast of characters will evolve. Chad seems to be doing well and still producing some really nice strikers and pot calls.

Whatever you can shoot would be my recommendation. Love me a 1911 and I also love the 10 mm...so if this is your excuse to get one, I’m behind you on this! Lol

P.S. I got dibs on this one guys.
Same range and same "effective" range are two different things. I don't see how any pistol could be as effective as a shotgun on coyotes, especially running coyotes. But, that being said, kudos to you for wanting to try something different. I think the 10mm has a lot of fans, but I've never shot one. Good luck.

And let us know when it's for sale. [emoji41]
Are you guys still interested in a R.I.A. 10mm? 🤔 I may be willing to part with it for $1000.
I've got $1200 in the pistol and another $220 in the Holosun red dot, original boxes, manuals, etc....plus some ammo. I may post it with details, if there's an interest. :cool:
This is the "big rock" and it has everything on it. MSRP is over $1300, just for the pistol.
RIA 1.jpg

RIA 2.jpg

How much 10mm ammo comes with it? Asking for a friend.
Two boxes. One is my reload of a 180 gr. JHP Hornady and the other box is factory 180 gr. FMJ and both are in plastic Case Card boxes that are part of the deal. 👍 In the background is the original iron sight, original box for the Holosun and the factory case for the R.I.A. 10mm. I had a gunsmith install the red dot. 😎
Inch and a quarter groups at 50 yards with either type of ammo. It's a shooter. 💯

Attachments

• PXL_20230402_004948426.jpg
    PXL_20230402_004948426.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: Jamie