Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife 2019/2020 Deer Season

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Making this my home page going forward.

This Friday I'm planning on my first sit because of the nice cool down we're suppose to have.
SmartSelectImage_2019-09-30-09-26-06-1[1].png

I haven't been in the woods in over a month nor do I have trail cameras out at any of my hunting locations, so it'll be nothing but wonderful surprises for me while afield starting out.

Currently, I have six hang-ons hung, each of them are in spots that I've hunted in the past.

Still at my disposal, one 12' ladder stand, a pop-up ground blind, an API climber and my new Lone Wolf Alpha w/ five LW climbing sticks.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to get into the Deer Creek State Park for a special archery hunt, so I'll be focusing a fair amount of my time on that location this season.

My expectations are no different than any other season. Just looking forward in getting out there and enjoying every second of it.

I hope I can make this journal of mine an enjoyable one to follow. I promise to give it my best to document most everything that happens or about to happen with regards to my deer hunting season.

And finally, I wish for all 'TOO' members to have a safe and enjoyable season this year.

Best of luck to you all!

Sincerely,
Denny

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Appreciate all the will wishes fellas, thanks!

Typically I would mention the following in the 'What did you do for the deer today' thread, however considering this is now apart of my regular deer season stuff, I thought I'd just add it here to my journal instead.

So earlier this afternoon I got my bow out to do the final preparations for the new season. Touched up a little paint here and there, a new D-loop, a new rest and finally some camo tape around the hand grip to keep my hands warmer.

I also went through all my arrows as well, tuning and labeling them.

Just so everyone knows, I'm trying out some new things with regards to my bow & arrow setups this season.

For years and years I've been a true & faithful to NAP, using the Fixed Three Blade 125 Grain Thunderheads. Gods knows, I've killed plenty of animals with them over the years, including a few wild bores.

Well, this year I decided to step out of my comfort zone and try some mechanical broad-heads.

I purchased two different brands and types earlier in the spring.
  1. NAP Killzone Mechancial Broadhead 125 Grain Two Blade 3 Pack
  2. G5 Outdoors Deadmeat Broadhead 125 Grain Three Blade 3 Pack
Both of them appear to me that'll they'll get the job done, however I won't be fully convinced until I kill a deer with them.

So going forward, I'll have a mixture of broad-heads within my bow quiver this season.
  • 2 - NAP Killzone Mechancial Broadhead 125 Grain Two Blade 2" Cutting Diameter
  • 2 - G5 Outdoors Deadmeat Broadhead 125 Grain Three Blade 1-1/2" Cutting Diameter
  • 1 - NAP Fixed Three Blade 125 Grain 1-1/4" Cutting Diameter
I'll also be using the new Carbon Express Maxima Red SD Carbon Arrows over my regular Carbon Express Maxima Red Carbon Arrows with the Blaser Vanes.

The 350 SDs will be outfitted with the mechanical broad-heads. They're smaller in diameter with a stronger spine than the regular REDs, which the claim is to give a better penetration, which I tend to believe at this point based on what I've seen after shooting them into my target box.

* The one NAP Three Fixed Blade will have the regular size diameter Carbon Express Maxima Red Carbon Arrow within my bow quiver as my just in case back up.

Another item I've never used before, however I'll be using them this year for the first time are the 'Nockturnal-X Lighted Archery Nocks for Arrows'.

So far, I really seem to like them a lot!

I haven't seen any obvious issues while launching arrows or in-flight, even at longer ranges, for instance: @50-75 yards.

They lite-up each time I launched them from my bow, which is pretty darn cool!
2019-10-01_19.43.25[1].jpg

The other task that I did with regards to my bow was the D-Loop replacement. Something I've never done before myself.

I've always had the archery shop take care it for me. but I went ahead and decided to tackle it myself this year.

I ended up watching a few YouTube videos and purchased the tools and materials needed to do it.

The old- D-Loop was worn out and I didn't trust it enough to head out to the woods with it.

Before;
2019-10-01_17.44.01[1].jpg

After:
2019-10-01_17.46.45[1].jpg

I ended up doing the D-Loop a little different than what the last archery shop technician did for me, which is fairly typical for many bow hunters out west with regards to their setup.

You might be able to see what I'm talking about, it's the red string in upper right photo above that's in between the D-Loop knots. Those are there to keep the D-Loop from pinching down onto the nock and/or from sliding, plus it makes it much easier when replacing the D-Loop in the future.

I went ahead and replaced my old Whisker Biscuit rest to a newest latest & greatest camo version of it.

After paper tuning and some close range testing along with sending several arrows much further from down range, I'm 100% confident once again with my bow operation.

She's ready to go for the new season!
20191001_172237[1].jpg

I'll admit that I'm no pro at this stuff, but after my evening practice session, I'm very satisfied with the current setup and how she performs, especially for being over 10 years old now.

Tomorrow, I'll be back at it going through the rest of my hunting stuff making sure I have everything ready to go before Friday morning.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I’m no bow dude, but why carry 3 different heads? You only get one shot.

"One shot",,, true in most all cases, however I've been fortunate enough in the past to have a second chance on the same deer within seconds of the first arrow being launched.

Not that's the reason why I'm doing this though.

Basically, I'm gonna try figure out which ones I really like overall out of the two mechanicals after I field tested them.

Yes, one arrow, one kill. That's aways the prime objective when taking aim.

I have two different mechanical broad-heads I'll be testing this season.

If one really impresses me, then I'll stick with just the one brand and/or type.

Also,

if I have a varmint that walks into the immediate area, which happens quite often around my parts, I may choose to launch that fixed blade rather than any of mechanical ones cause I have several of those type broad-heads in my inventory still. I wouldn't want to waste the few mechanical ones I have on something like that.

So to sum it all up for you Dave, I'm field testing broad-heads for own satisfaction, that's why I have different ones in my bow quiver.

Reactions: giles

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
As long as all 3 fly the same at effective ranges. I’ve always had fixed blades fly different.

Yup, the fixed do fly different at longer ranges and the two mechanicals fly pretty much the same. @20 yards I wouldn't have to adjust for anyone of them, all three will hit the mark.

Reactions: giles

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
You'll figure out which mechanicals you hate after having to fuck with them every time you get in the stand after they keep opening in the quiver just from moving around. The old D-loop pic it looks like your serving is shot where the arrow nocks??

I'm just figuring that out with the Killzones, but the G5s seem to be alright while in the quiver.

Don't quite follow your meaning regarding the old D-Loop. The pic of it was taken right after I cut the bottom knot. There was a little bit of build up of string wax on the string where the arrow nock rest. I should've cleaned it off before I took the pic perhaps.

The new loop seems to be working out very well for me though.

I appreciate your input, thanks!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
The left half pic, seems like I see red there where the knot was, like the serving has separated. Maybe with the new loop in place it is ok, just hate to see it come unraveled?

Gotcha!

I can explain that...

My first attempt applying the new red thread for the bottom of the nock was a bit off (a little to low) so I cut it off. There was a little bit of it left on the bow string when I took the pic. I ended up getting it all off when I made my second and final attempt replacing that new red thread.

The servicing bow string is fully intact. No unraveling to it at all.

Great observation! Thanks for pointing that out!!

Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Wednesday, October 2, 2019:

Well, things are really coming together for my Friday hunt to say the least.

The bean field that I originally planned on hunting will be harvested by tomorrow.

The guys are knocking down the field right next door as I type and the bean field right across road from my driveway will be next, which is the field I'll be hunting.
20191002_194638[1].jpg
No doubt that's great news for me cause I know those deer will be hitting them fields hard over the next few days trying to scrap up whatever is left over.

I also grabbed the mail shortly after taking that photo above and my new 'Lifeline' came in for my new 'Lone Wolf' stand, which is awesome!
20191002_200016[1].jpg

Earlier today I ended up cleaning and organizing my hunting closet, getting it completely ready.

I was totally amazed on how much shooting and hunting stuff I accumulated over the past 6-8 months.

I finally ended up installing some shelves in it that I had laying about in the barn from our previous home.
2019-10-02 16.19.49.jpg
2019-10-02 16.21.37.jpg

They worked out great for this particular application.

Now I'm down to picking out what I'll be wearing come Friday and charging few camera batteries, and then of course, more shooting of the bow a few times a day.

So yeah, getting totally pumped!

Pretty much already to go now.

In fact, I'm starting to get the jitters just thinking about it as I'm typing this, just like a little kid headed to Disney or something of the like :LOL:

COME ON FRIDAY!!!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Thursday, October 3, 2019:

The guys got'er done this afternoon, soybeans are gone across the street, so it should be a breeze for me getting to my hunting location early in the morning.

Today, I spent most of the day running errands.

Once I got back home, I grabbed all my early fall hunting clothes and washed them. Then I stuck'em in 'Mother Nature's" dryer for the rest of the day.
2019-10-03_15.29.46[1].jpg

Now I'll have plenty of huntin clothes to wear over the next week or so.

During my travels, I picked up something I absolutely needed based on what I experienced last season with regards to all the hiking that I did.
20191003_123009[1].jpg

No more wet boots no matter when I wish to hunt!

I'll be doing my final check going through all my gear right after this post, making sure I have everything needed and everything is working properly.

I'll be using my API climber this go around, which is extremely comfortable to sit in. Depending on deer activity and/or weather, I just might sit all day. At least that's what I'm packing for anyhow.

I'm also taking my cameras along with all the gear needed for'em. I'll have two cameras that I'll be using, one Tactacam for the bow and the other camera will be connected to swivel camera arm attached to the tree.

Just to let you all know, I haven't been to this tree location since last February, so II have no idea what to expect. Going in totally blind!

Still, I expect have fun regardless. I'm just thrilled to get out and I'm completely looking forward to it!

If a nanny doe comes within range, I'll go ahead and take her right off the bat.

If a buck comes in range, he'll have to be a monster in order for me to even consider to take aim.

Remember, I have no trail cameras out yet and I know our bigger bucks around here usually don't show up until mid October and/or during the rut.

I'll get my tail cameras out as I go when I hunt my other locations over the next few weeks.

So this is it fellas! I'm all Jacked up!!

My season will officially start tomorrow morning.

I'll report back here sometime in the evening.

To all you others that are planing on getting out for this cool front, I wish you all the best of luck!

Later on crew...

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Man it’s fun reading about how people approach this stuff differently. The day before the hunt I just check the wind, pick a stand location based on it, throw my shit/clothes together and go!!!

Best of luck tomorrow to you Denny! Smack a big one!!

Appreciate it. thanks!

Wind is suppose to perfect for this location all day I'll be hunting.

I have several hunting locations in the area that I can easily choose from when the wind is right for'em. Another words, I have plenty of options and I frequently visit the weather website, along with a couple of others religiously throughout the hunting season.

Good luck to you 'TOO' this season!