Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife 2022/2023 Deer Season

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
10:00AM, Tuesday, January 24, 2023: 🦌 Junior & a newcomer overnight@🏡

Good morning!

Heavy deer action 🎬 overnight here at home. I'm working on putting together all of it for anyone who enjoys seeing free range Whitetail Deer, but I first separated out this small portion that I believe most here just might enjoy.

Everyone have a great day and the rest of the workweek too!

d13c4a30-d814-4765-9b78-5db6c2c28740.jpg

Video description:

This video will show the very first young buck to eat out the new feed trough back in May of 2022, and then of course, Junior as well. Then, a newcomer attempts to warm up to the feed trough for the very first time, which happens to be another good lookin young buck with some potential. He's been sticking around ever since December, and he seems to make himself comfortable, right here @🏡 , which also happens to be an absolutely wonderful & beautiful thing, especially when our deer numbers are way down around here currently due to last summer/early fall EHD outbreak that hit our county, and much of the state for that matter as well, pretty darn hard this year. I'm just pleased to see him finally arrive at the feed trough, and fully expect him to show up here more often now, but most of all, I really hope that he decides to stay from now on. We'll just have to wait and see...

Really hope that you enjoy this video and thank you for watching!

More of the latest deer action captured on cellular trail cameras overnight will be next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bankfish and Fletch

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
2:15PM, Tuesday, January 24, 2023: All🦌 deer 🎬 action that occurred overnight @🏡

Not much happening in daylight today as of yet with regards to deer movement is concerned, just plenty of squirrels & birds so far at both properties.

a5e732c2-4ee6-496d-9a21-c5deec9b18e2.jpg

And, the TC @theotherfarm is back to sending high definition photographs again.

016f8f9d-0cd1-4389-9596-ed2386aebb31.jpg

de3dce1a-37ab-4363-9ee8-b14b6132d5c6.jpg

What all occurred overnight @theotherfarm since the camera started to work properly again, which I believe the weather condition caused spotty cellular service there when the snow was coming down really hard, but I'm not positive about it either, so I'll continue to monitor it closely.

20230124_133835.gif

@home - All🦌 deer 🎬 action that occurred overnight @🏡

21d9509c-f7fc-46c6-8d1f-31aaea0fec09cover.jpg

Video description:

This video will show all the wild & free 'Whitetail Deer' that stepped in front of any of the two cellular trail cameras on the property overnight. One for each of the two separate feed site locations.

All cellular trail camera captures within this video are in consecutive order by way of timestamp, so as you view this video, you will get to see exactly what all occurred and when as they happened, right here at my place, overnight.

More videos may yet to come today. It all depends on the cooperating actors that play along around here. It's been a joy for me to share with you all, and please, I fully welcome feedback, including constructive criticism regarding any of the videos I’ve shared over the past week, thank you!

I truly hope that you enjoy and thank you so much for watching!

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny, weather can definately effect your cell service, so that very well might of been your problem....

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
8:45PM, Tuesday, January 24, 2023: 🦌 Deer 🎬 action in daylight at both 🚜 farms

c1bea0f2-94f5-4250-b2e2-c4462c364be4 (1).jpg

@theotherfarm deer daylight activity with timestamp

20230124_202759.gif

78976c20-e7a9-428d-93b6-51e7f45cfd4dcover.jpg

Video description:

The latest video installment showing whatever deer activity occurred and captured by any of the three cellular trail cameras within daylight at both properties. It was slow all day today within daylight. Hardly any deer movement occurred in the day time hours. What little did happen though, you will be able to see for yourself within this video.

Hope you enjoy and thank you for watching!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
01/25/23 10:00 a.m.

20230125_092410.jpg

Good morning!

A few thoughts here that I care to share with you, and I attached some of the latest TC captures from each property I hunt from this morning, just one for each location for today, unless something real outrageous happens.

Okay, I wasn’t planning on doing any kind of video stuff today, or for a while for that matter because I have other pressing things to tend to, but wanted to share some of my morning thoughts regarding a deer, a buck, that I haven’t seen for a while, however this kind of behavior of his is not unlike him or uncommon at all because he has done this very thing each past year ever since he's been alive.

Well, the deer I'm referring to is ‘SHYBUC’. He is once again absent, and has been for an extended period now, ever since opening day of the muzzleloader season. He has not been to either of the feed site locations ever since.

What I have noticed during his last few visits, or about the time he showed back up again after the rut with his rack all messed up, I’ve been studying him very closely each time, as usual. In fact, I have gone back through and reviewed all the past year trail camera photography captured of him that was filed away, and looked at them once again, but with much more intensity, scrutiny and interests.

What I believe might have possibly happened to him before he disappeared again, is that he might have been hit by a car, which caused some serious and/or severe internal problems for him, and obviously, broke off much of his antlers too, or he quite simply had a real super hard rut, which then again, I have a real hard time going with that theory because of his natural and typical and/or normal everyday displayed behavior. I have known this deer ever since he was born, and has lived within the immediate area ever since. I have collected just tons of documentation on this deer too, pretty much everything you care to know about this deer,

If you care about this deer, you too can go back and review some the last few videos I shared of him on either of my YouTube channel, and/or within this journal, and see for yourself by simply studying both his behavior and body/body language compared to, many of the 2022 summertime videos I shared of him.

Yeah, I believe today that he’s in some serious trouble, and possibly died or soon to die. I believe he went off to his normal annual hideout location to either recoup from his current injuries from all the rutting, or possibly to die peacefully at his own hideaway location.

Like I said, this is not unlike him to disappear this time of year for a couple of months possibly. He has done this each year ever since I have known him and usually shows back up by either late March or early April, and then sticks around the remainder of the year once again, and/or possibly disappears temporarily anytime the human pressure gets to be over the top and/or too much for him to handle and leaves the immediate area nearest to the feed station temporarily.

I would be very interested in reading any of your thoughts about all of this. If so, I would welcome it completely and look forward to learning what you might think is going on with this deer.

Thank you for your time reading all of this, and I truly wish you a great day! Try to stay dry too if you can. It’s horribly wet outdoors at my place and I do not expect to see things to dry out around here for at least a couple of days. Take care and thanks again!

Sincerely,

Denny – a.k.a. Wildlife, WildlifeOhio

Attachments

• 9d0cc60c-f9b9-4915-a600-c423a62d7067.jpg
    9d0cc60c-f9b9-4915-a600-c423a62d7067.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 9602ac0e-eaf5-4893-a092-1b9614518049.jpg
    9602ac0e-eaf5-4893-a092-1b9614518049.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok - I’ll be your huckleberry.

1. How old do you figure that deer is?
2. The area you’ve described as his “core” - how many acres is it?

I can tell you that, all too often we over humanize whitetails. I suspect
1. The deer had a much larger range that you give him credit.
2. He is probably busted up on tines cause he’s aggressive and maybe even a bit of a bully.
3. He got shot. He moved due to being a bully.
4. I don’t think he looks sickly from the rut. I think he looks like standard wear down. Also I don’t think we can assume a deers “rutting” just based on “core area”. Even if not running hard, diet changes occur simply in a mentality change.

I can shares that I have many bucks on our 350+ acres we manage that are “local” yet still will cover over a mile and back in one night, commonly. That’s only what I observe. Fact is, they are likely covering far more ground than we realize.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll keep it simple and frank. IMO, you're making far too many assumptions about a wild creature that you can't possibly sum up with a few thousand trail cam pics. I agree with Al, you've anthropomorphized a wild animal and IMO, are obsessing over something far beyond your control, which is an unhealthy way to live out this particular passion.

Again, just my opinion and one formed in having walked this very path. He's just a deer. Deer do deer things. If he's around next fall, let the games continue. Until then, it is what is.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny... Bottom line is "SHYBUCK" is either dead or alive... If alive he's probably just wintering somewhere else... Time will tell as you have no control over it.... If I were you I'd be more worried about "JUNIOR".... Someone put an arrow in him last year and in 2023 will be back hoping he survived... This deer in 2023 is going to get a lot of attention as I'm sure your not the only one watching him... I'm sure even some are doing their homework from pics posted here... When it comes to big bucks it brings out the worst in people... There I gave you something to really worry about....

Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
10:30PM, Wednesday, January 25, 2023: Today's weather & 🦌 deer at both farms 🚜

@at1010 ; @bowhunter1023 & @Fletch - Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to respond to my earlier post, I appreciate it very much!

I had time this evening to put this together, mainly because there wasn't much to it. It was a slow day at both properties as far as deer is concerned.

20230125_141530cover.jpg

Video description:

More deer and a little break in the rain too. This January has been one of the warmest on record for me, ever. Snow and cool temps are back in the forecast for tomorrow though, which means I might try to get out soon again for another archery hunt.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
5:30PM, Thursday, January 26, 2023: 'Last night's wildlife captured on cellular trail cameras'

Video description:

This video will show his first visit from overnight. He also showed back up a couple of hours later, which can be viewed within the next following video that is coming up called '🦌deer🎬action overnight @farms 🚜'.

Nearly everyday he continues to show progress towards his road to full recovery from being shot with a bow and arrow from back in November of 2022, and I could not be happier for him!

Video description:

If you would like to see what all occurred overnight with the deer, hit the play button, sit back and enjoy!

This is another video that will show plenty of wildlife action that occurred at either our home or from @theotherfarm and was filmed with one of my cellular trail cameras.

You will see when it occurred and where because all the data was compiled by way of time stamp, so all the action will be displayed as it happened, in consecutive order up until just before daylight. You are given the opportunity to observe that there was not nearly the same amount of deer action between the two locations last night.

You will also get to see that Junior visited for the second time at the home feed site before sunrise. He is the dominant in the area currently, and he eats a bunch because he is back to being his ol' busy self again, just like before he became wounded from a bow archery arrow that struck him in the upper right shoulder, and stuck. Junior was able to free himself from it by the following week. I’ve been documenting his progress ever since.

11/13/22 - 'Jr' with Arrow video:

11/20/22 - A week later showing him free from the arrow:

Anyhow, I will continue to share much of the same right up until the end of the Whitetail Deer archery hunting season, which closes on February 5, 2023, at the end of legal hunting daylight time for the given area.

Thank you for watching and I hope that you enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: finelyshedded

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny... Will watch videos later as I'm out... Question: Did you ever look for the arrow?? I'd be curious to know if the head was still in him... If I were you I'd do some grid search's once all deer seasons are done so you don't push him into someone....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny... Watched the videos this morning with my wake up coffee... Great job as always... Coons and deer seem to get along.. That one spot must be close to a road as I saw a car go by .. Great to see Junior... Keep up the good work.... (y)

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
12:30PM, Friday, January 27, 2023: 'MIA Buck returns, Junior & more,'

20230127_105329.jpg

Good afternoon,

Just completed this over lunch, which is basically some highlights from last night. I'm gathering up the rest of the data for both farms to make the full version of everything that occurred later today, which was the busiest night to date regarding deer action.

Have a great Friday 'TOO'zers!

Video description:

Just some of the wildlife action that occurred last night since the last update/video-drop.

One of the resident bucks returns home after being missing in action for about a month. He’s young yet still, but he too has plenty of potential. Plus, the first Red Fox for the year made its presence known as well, and retrieved only one still photograph image of the animal.

There will be a following video-drop later today that will include everything else that occurred overnight between the two different farms, right up until sunrise.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
7:30PM, Friday, January 27, 2023: 🦌 Deer🎬 action overnight @farms 🚜

This video took a bit longer to create simply because of the increased amount of captured wildlife images/data from the trail cameras. I just completed the video, and it's still processing on YouTube, so the HD quality will take a little bit longer. The video will show all the wildlife captured on TCs last night from just before sunset through just before sunup this morning, roughly 30 minutes worth, and if you got the time and like seeing deer and stuff, you may enjoy it. I hope that you do.

Good night all!

20230127_162836.jpg

Video description:

I don’t think there was an hour that went by last night where there was at least one deer that got its picture taken by one of my three cellular trail cameras.

Anyway, this video will clarify and validate exactly how many showed up between sunset and sunrise.

This is the most current of all trail camera image captures from overnight, starting from just before sunset yesterday through just before this morning’s sunrise.

You will get to see a buck that is injured, whom is a returning resident. He has been missing for a month and I’m happy to see him again, although it does look like he took a real good smack to the head by something, hmmm.

More deer are slowly making their way back to our creek valley too, just in time to start the whole annual deer growing season again. Completely looking forward to it too!

I never did get an accurate headcount of how many deer showed up last night, and I’m not all too concerned about it right now either, but I know there were a fair amount of them, still low though compared to the previous three years at this time. Still a decent number of them though and more keep showing up each new week so, I will try by the end of April and/or going into May, get the most accurate headcount by then of our local deer herd, and then afterwards, cleanup last year’s inventory list, which it took a good ol-shellacking, and I didn't even get to hunt our place this year.

Anyhow, this hunting season is winding down quickly and I’m thinking about getting out tomorrow evening maybe for an archery hunt. If I do make it out, then there will be a follow-up video dropped.

Unsure when I will get to create that next video, but regardless, I’ll shoot for Monday at the very latest. In the meantime, thank you for watching and I hope that you enjoy!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
3:00PM, Saturday, January 28, 2023: 'Blast from the past of the area'

(40).jpg

I just completed going back through my YouTube channel, cleaning house, and I just created a brand new playlist called, 'Top 25 most viewed early classic non-public videos', and the description for it is below. None of the videos have been shared to the public other than what I shared on this site years back.

This playlist was created mainly for anyone that might be interested in some of the wildlife history of the immediate area that was captured on camera.

BTW, last night's overnight deer action was roughly the same amount as compared to the previous night, the 27th, plus another resident buck returned home as well from being absent well over a month.

If anyone would like to checkout some of the wildlife that was captured on some of my first owned trail cameras, going back nearly seven years now. then click the shared internet hyperlink below. It'll get you there.

Hope you enjoy!

(42).jpg

Since 2015, right after I first setup my very first owned trail camera, I have collected and maintained all the captured significate wildlife data. All the collected data was placed within a video format if it wasn't already, and then uploaded onto this media play platform that I use, to help me establish history information of the new area.

Out of the thousands of individual uploaded video clips currently, and other video type creations of mine over the years, this playlist now contains some of the most popular or most viewed and/or liked.

There are 10 of them that I'm considering in making public.

Again, none of the videos have ever been shared publicly ever before, only a shared link passed along to certain individuals, such as friends and/or family, and this outdoor hunting forum.

None of these videos were never intended to be popular, or singled out, only meant to be used for personal or education reasons mainly.,

Now, with all that being said, if any of these videos continue to climb in in their view count, I will consider heavily to share it publicly given the fact that a few of them are right among the very top of the overall top viewed on my channel currently.

You the viewing audience can help persuade me pare down these top 25 videos to a worthy top 10. By the end of February 2023, I'll share those top 10 videos publicly on my channel

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20230128_174143cover2.jpg

8:45AM, Sunday, January 29, 2023: '🦌 Deer 🎬 action all weekend long @farms 🚜'

Good morning!

I Just completed putting together this video that will show the very latest of all the deer that stepped in front of any of the three cellular trail cameras since Friday night, right after sunset, going all the way through until just before sunrise this morning.

I managed to put this video together a little differently though, making it quite a bit shorter in length despite the fact that it covers more in time and displays more number of deer. Perhaps to be considered one of my best videos created of this particular type, IDK, you will have to let me know. I'm learning as I go.

BTW, the entire video was created, edited, produced and published right from my cellphone this morning, which is the Samsung Galaxy Note Ultra s22. Never having to leave my chair throughout the entire process too, taking only minutes to put together after all the trail cameras' data was retrieved remotely first, via the Tactacam REVEAL cellphone application. It literally takes longer to upload the video to this media player platform, and for it to be processed than it did to gather all the data remotely and to create the video itself, SMH.

Basically, what you will get to see are all the brief highlights of each deer and/or group of deer, captured by a trail camera during the 27th through the 28th. The last few minutes of the video are as they were, unedited in duration, and all the images were placed within the video creation in consecutive order by way of time stamp. This video does show whenever a deer wanted to feed at either one of the placed feed sites between the two different farms since last Friday night.

A few quick points discovered after the fact, which are; another young buck returns from being MIA for over a month, 'Junior' missed Friday night feeding, but eventually shows back up once again Saturday night, plus hardly any deer activity and/or movement occurred @theotherfarm over the weekend, and finally, more soaking rain in the weather forecast for today, Sunday - January 29, 2023. It's currently raining out right now, just before sunrise.

I fully intend on archery hunting this week @theotherfarm, hoping to harvest one more decent size antlerless deer before the '2022/2023 Whitetail Deer Archery Hunting Season' officially ends.

The wind this past weekend was not the preferred direction for any kind of hunt @theotherfarm, but tomorrow, Monday - January 30th through February 3, 2023, both the weather conditions and the wind conditions are supposed to be ideal during each day throughout the entire workweek for that hunting set up. I do not expect to have any kind of problem in filling the last deer tag that's still in my pocket currently either, sometime before the hunting season actually closes next Sunday evening.

So, I hope that you stay tuned and try to lookout for the next up and coming video, which will be available in the coming week.

I hope you enjoy this video and thank you for watching!

20230129_050305cover.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny... Nicely done,,, enjoyed watching it... First time I've seen a deer checking out that mineral block... Looking forward to watching those bucks grow in 2023...(y)

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Denny... Nicely done,,, enjoyed watching it... First time I've seen a deer checking out that mineral block... Looking forward to watching those bucks grow in 2023...(y)

TY, Rich! It appears that you are my biggest supporter from the TOO site, thank you very much buddy👍

Yeah, just to let you know, I noticed in the last video that the little deer were having the littlest difficultly in getting to the food just inside the main feed trough last night, so I went and threw in another 100# for them minutes ago, plus I wanted to introduce a new mineral block to them, giving them a few options, and to see what they just might like and/or prefer. We'll see what happens.

I've been trying different foods with these deer all throughout last year and I'll most likely do the same for this year as well too. So far, you just can't beat the whole corn, which is what the deer enjoy and eat the most by far over anything else I've tried thus far. I also added some dabs of 'Medina Horticulture Molasses' in and around the mineral site. I do this about 3 to 4 times out of the year, which really seems to freshen up the site and typically reacquires the attention of the deer and draws them in. It doesn't take much at all too, just a few drops/dabs here and there and that should do the trick in any case. I've been doing this particular thing for the deer for an awfully long time, going back to when I first started using this stuff for the annual victory gardens of mine.

20230129_150019.jpg

Last edited: