Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2010/2011 TOO Daily Coyote Hunting log

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think this should be a sticky along with a kill log. Gern has been off to one heckuva start!

I did my first coyote hunting of the year tonight. One stand, the woods were tore up by the squirrels. Started with squirrel in distress call on the foxpro. Nothing. Tried a locater call. Got some dogs going nuts but it didn't produce any visible coyotes or return howls. Tried distressed rabbit for a couple minutes and shut it down. Waited another 5 minutes or so and left after seeing/hearing nothing.

Moved down the road to two more locations. Did not hunt them, but did run the Foxpro locater howl. No responses. I think this year I am going to do more locater howls from the road until I start to get a bit of a pattern and return howls. Then I will slide back in the next morning to hunt them. Unless they are in the area I simply do not believe I will get a chance. I think I am just educating the ones which might have been coming in from 1/2 mile to 1 mile away when I am pulling out thinking they are not there. They might NOT be there too. For what it is worth, I was on my stand location from the last 30minutes of light until about 20minutes after light. Could still see through the scope plenty. Between the snow, the stars and light in the sky I could have made a shot without my red lens light tonight had there been a shot opportunity.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It's time to start pounding them hard.......here is a picture from 2 years ago after a good week of yote hunting. We just need some fresh snow and it will be game on.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hit it again tonight. No luck. Only made one stand. Saw some fresh tracks. Changed trail camera cards and they were in the area in the last few days, but only in the middle of the night. Need to upload some pics from the trail cameras to TOO.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Here is a pair from Saturday........

We jumped 2 other ones but they got away, dang it!

We had 2 different coyotes go into field drainage tile today.....must have been the extra cold temperatures. Usually a coyote won't hole up like that unless it's real cold or wounded.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Made three set ups on Sunday moring. Had one howling at us as I called. It moved closer, but never showed up. On the second set up, we heard a short bark behind us. I haven't a clue if it was a yote or not. Third set up was just cold, no action at all.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Worked all night. Hunted all morning. Tracks were everywhere. The coyote rut is ON! I couldn't catch any breaks though. Distressed rabbit didn't work. Female howls didn't work. Female invite howl didn't work. Stuck it out for about an hour. Finally called it quits and went shed hunting. Slept all day. Much needed sleep I should add.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Hey phil if you want to kill some of those yotes we could figure out a plan on how to drive them out and kill em. How big are the woods they are staying in? I know calling can be effective but I haven't seen much success from anybody on here that is calling....at least actually putting fur on the ground. Now is the time to thin them out, imo the only way to get good results up here with any consistency is to aggressively go after them!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a buddy with a dog that wants to run them this weekend. Going to try it. In fact, we are heading out as soon as the kids are in bed. I will be cleaning up slush on the parking lots later, so I might as well stay up an extra hour or two hunting in between! My problem with pushing them out is the lay of the properties I have permission on does not allow it without trespassing. Need to get some permission from a couple extra property owners first. Shouldn't be an issue. I know most of them. Deer hunting would be different, but I think for coyotes they would give me a go ahead.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Made four stands with a buddy tonight on 4 different properties. We ran down to Cincy to buy some equipment today. He saw a yote on the way to pick me up. We saw one on the way down. He then saw one after dropping me off when he was on his way home. Called to tell me about it and I said "Let's go!" We both got our stuff and headed out. We only managed to see one dog, but it was along the interstate and I just didn't think I should shoot towards the interstate. errrrr! Guess we will setup in that area next time so it is not an issue. Sucks to make four stands, see one coyote and not be able to shoot it!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Will have a better story and pics later. From my phone. Did four sets through out the day (off and on). Had yotes show up on all of them. My buddy took this one @ 117 yards on a trot. Damn fine shooting.

BTW I need a new electronic caller. Long dumb story...ugh.

Beentown

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
On the way home from my morning deer hunt, I saw a few guys loading dogs into the back of a truck and a coyote running away from them. They were out in a field near a woods.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
A snow plow driver called me yesterday at work and told me where he saw a pair of yotes, so I took off work and got my uncle out of the sack and we went after them..........6 hours later we ended up getting both of them, but damn was that a lot of work with the deep snow!

That makes numbers 17 and 18 on the year now.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I saw one yesterday that was sitting in a field not 100 yards off I-70 watching traffic go by.... Makes you wonder what's going through their head sometimes. "Damn, how am i going to cross this?"

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Made four stands last night. On the third stand we had two dogs come running in hard. My buddy asked "why didn't you shoot it?!!" Only thing I could tell him was "I didn't know where you were. I knew where I was looking. I saw them in my peripheral vision and turned, but never took the safety off. I knew you and _ _ _ (the other guy) were behind me, but wasn't sure how far down the fencerow you were. I would rather let the coyote walk then to risk it." He was okay with that answer. The third guy with us got a shot off but missed. Dang big coyote too! My buddy has a 37lb yote stuffed in his living room. This coyote dwarfed the one he had mounted. We were all thinking 45-50lbs. HUGE! He lives another day. I didn't get a good look at the other one that came running in with the big one. Just saw a second yote on the run. Adrenaline rush to have two of them running towards you at a full sprint!!