Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2011 - 2012 Deer Hunting Contest

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like the "first one" clause. Should we limit does to two per man since some are handcuffed in that department? I was already thinking about that as an issue.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Unless this contest is going to have a serious prize reward, I wouldn't worry about adding beam length and tine length. You could however add points for inside spread. Not that doing so would fix anything, but it would be a an added bonus.

Are we going off bag limits or what??Cause if you include other states that could be a conflict.What about 2 deer entered per person period!! 1 buck an 1 doe..Or 2 does..But allow folks to swap a doe for a buck later..But once the buck is entered IT a done deal..Makes sense?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Are we going off bag limits or what??Cause if you include other states that could be a conflict.What about 2 deer entered per person period!! 1 buck an 1 doe..Or 2 does..But allow folks to swap a doe for a buck later..But once the buck is entered IT a done deal..Makes sense?

I believe we only have two Florida boys and Mountaineer (at this time) That are NR of Ohio. I know WV you can kill two does, and FL you can also kill two does. I think you should be able to check in three deer for your team, be it two does and a buck, or three does. Once you submit three deer, there will be no substituting a doe for a buck. This should cut down on confusion. Also, we can always tackle the "two deer bag limit" if we ever have anyone with that issue.

I believe we only have two Florida boys and Mountaineer (at this time) That are NR of Ohio. I know WV you can kill two does, and FL you can also kill two does. I think you should be able to check in three deer for your team, be it two does and a buck, or three does. Once you submit three deer, there will be no substituting a doe for a buck. This should cut down on confusion. Also, we can always tackle the "two deer bag limit" if we ever have anyone with that issue.
Thats fine..I just didnt wanna see 5 or 6 does for one person ya know...Only points I will get are for taking my boy out..I aint killed a deer yet!Why should this year be any different?But I sure do have fun though

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Thats fine..I just didnt wanna see 5 or 6 does for one person ya know...Only points I will get are for taking my boy out..I aint killed a deer yet!Why should this year be any different?But I sure do have fun though

See, I don't have a youth I can take hunting. Just one I have to bite the bullet on.

Diablo54

Outside
Everything sounds good. Hell you guys know better than me but i like 2does 1 buck limit and jesses point system with an included inside spread points system.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree..

2 does 1 buck or 3 does.
First buck

I still think people who shoot a bigger deer shouldn't be given the same points as someone who shoots a smaller one... Both are 8 pts. and both could only be 16 inches inside. But one could score 90 and the other 125.. If you've ever measured your own wangus you can't hold a tape measure in the middle of the main beam and measure tine length.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I agree..

2 does 1 buck or 3 does.
First buck

I still think people who shoot a bigger deer shouldn't be given the same points as someone who shoots a smaller one... Both are 8 pts. and both could only be 16 inches inside. But one could score 90 and the other 125.. If you've ever measured your own wangus you can't hold a tape measure in the middle of the main beam and measure tine length.

I don't disagree with you, but it does make it more difficult. Some bucks are difficult to score even when you are talking gross. That right antler on my 2010 buck was a mess! It also kind of trivializes the doe harvests. A doe is worth 5 and bucks cold be up to 150...200?

Diablo54

Outside
I agree..

2 does 1 buck or 3 does.
First buck

Some guys only need a 2 inch tape measure to do it. What if there tape measure is only 2 inches?? Jus sayin....