Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2018 Buckeye Football Thread

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I actually did do more hunting after that pathetic loss to Purdue. Heck, I turned it off at Halftime and watched a Nightmare On Elm St. sequel and it was less scary than that POS half I just watched!😂
Congratulations to Urban on another “a wins a win game” and Rose Bowl victory. I wish him all the best and thank him for all his successes while coaching our Buckeye program. Hopefully someday he might be our next AD, we shall see.
Seriously though, I am ready for a change though be it bringing some rough roads ahead under Ryan Day’s control. IMO, the players played better the first 3 games than they did under UM for the most of the remainder of the season. I hope RD does the smart thing and the right thing and gets rid of a few coaches on our defense, like ALL of them! Our LB Corp. is the WORSE I’ve seen play over my entire life going all the way back to mid 70’s. Not only were they slow,took bad angles and missed tackles but Borland and Werner looked lost all season long! Our safeties made way more tackles than any than I’ve ever seen which often led to the opposing team getting huge gains and first downs. Our corners weren’t much better but they could have been had a coach taught them fundamentals like turning your head around and playing the ball like a receiver. It would have made a world of difference and better prepared them for the next level. White,Fuller and Wade showed the most promise and consistency toward the end of the season. Did anyone else hear Herb and Davis talking during their commentary in the second half about our defensive back 7? Not one of them were voted on by the BI6 coaches as consensus 1,2 or 3 team all B16 teams! NOT ONE!!!! Only Fuller made 2nd Team voted by the players I think. I think that spoke volumes as to why our defense SUCKED ASS this season and in my opinion it starts with COACHING! If that is the best we have to put on the field then we’ll struggle next year as well but I think this team does have talent. They just need coached up better and some need replaced, IMO.
As others felt last night, I felt like we lost after time expired in the game. I also feel had the game lasted 3-5 more minutes or until Wash had one more possession we were going to blow it. They out played us the entire second half and took over the momentum. Our players and coaches assholes were puckered so tight they were just trying to hang on after getting away from doing what they did the entire first half. I’m sick and tired of conservative and predictable play calling so I hope this change is taking the OSU program into the opposite direction. GO BUCKS!

I wish I could like this 100 times. Very good observations and writeup buddy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@finelyshedded I thought Okuda played a great first half. Didn't notice anything the second half. I DID notice Brendan White in the second half. Hopefully he can be a leader in the secondary next year. I tagged Ric because he is so ate up with shit like this. lol White's dad is William White. Also a DB for the Buckeyes and went on to NFL. Graduate of Lima Senior so he is sort of our claim to fame around Lima.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I remember and was impressed with William White back in the day. Dude brought a wallop when he came up to tackle. We’ve had some great DB’s and SS’s over the years.
Yes Phil, Okuda#1 made a few good plays during the game as well.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So what's your thoughts. Is Haskins leaving it not, if so do you think Hurts will transfer to take the spot?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Haskins will go and that is the first I've heard Hurts name mentioned. The boy's name from Georgia has been thrown around but Martel says he's ready to take on all newbies.

Jamie

Ohio
dang, I just cannot see Haskins staying. quite a bit of hubbub about Jason Fields transferring from GA, but not heard anything about Hurts. I like Tate Martell's attitude, but I'm not sure he can compete with either of these to potential transfers. he just does not have the arm skills.

Reactions: finelyshedded

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd love to see another season of Dwayne Haskins. Wanted to be a Buckeye QB since he was a kid. I understand how close the three Heisman candidates were in terms of stats but still struggle to see how DH was such a distant third. Maybe this is the motivation to stay on? I sorta doubt it.

Hadn't heard about any other transfers. I don't see Tate Martell getting any playing time unless the starter is injured next year. Maybe as a running back? Not as a QB.

I don't like the sudden uprising in transfers. Happy for Joe Borrows and seeing him do well. Overall, jumping from school to school for playing time doesn't make me happy. It is too much like pro ball where they ask to be traded. Takes away from the college football experience for me. I know there have always been a handful of transfers but it seems like a great increase lately.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As long as they come second to bama next year...I couldn’t handle Joe knowing we had a better team. 😂

Don't worry. Even if Bama ended up dead last next year it will take the Buckeyes 50 years at this rate to best the Bama dynasty. 😚😂

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
But seriously though; SEC fans are prolly worse. It’s like twice as obnoxious as the most avid BI6 fan, well maybe not twice but we ain’t got shit over on one of them. Just talk to them on vacation next time. SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC YADA YADA YADA😂

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Don't worry. Even if Bama ended up dead last next year it will take the Buckeyes 50 years at this rate to best the Bama dynasty. 😚😂
so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The irony in ALL of this is Joe's disdain for the Buckeyes stems from a his exposure to obnoxious fans...

You are partially correct Jesse. I don't have a disdain for the Buckeyes as a football team however. I would love nothing more than to see them be the team a lot of the fans believe they already are. What I have a disdain for is blind fandom, and while every team has them, SEC teams included, there is an absolute plethora of them that love OSU. You know the ones, the people who have 8 OSU hoodies and the matching socks but can't tell you the name of the bowl game they just won. They don't know anything about football but bet your ass they have a block O on the back glass of their car. Try it sometime, ask a random stranger sporting an OSU shirt and ask them a simple question like "who did the buckeyes play for the Big 10 title" and I guarantee that you'll get a lot of uhm uh blank stares. My disdain comes from my love of football and being raised in a state and conference where people eat, sleep, and breathe football from peewee on up. When you want to talk football you won't have to go far to chew the fat with someone who equally knows football. But don't do it at work because most employers in the south hold football talk right up there with religion and politics, and for good reason. It didn't take me long to figure out that a lot of people who are all geared out are really just all hat and no cattle when it comes to talking football. We never had a lot of NFL teams in the south, for us football has always been highschool and college. If you want a seat at a high school football game on Friday night you better show up early and get in line or it will likely be sold out. This is evident by college recruiting. It is with good reason that coaches swamp southern high schools to scout for their teams. It's not because somehow they're genetically superior down there. Its because these kids were not only taught football at school, but lived it at home with parents who didn't buy them a blanket with a logo on it because they "like Bama". I guess my angst born of frustration because while OSU has an absolute shit ton of fans who buy an even bigger shit ton of logo gear, a lot of them do so because it's the thing to do.

I dug back and uploaded this. I'm beginning to see that football is a sickness for southern guys like alcohol is to Indians. He's 13 months old in this vide and saying " tide" "tide" "tide".

Reactions: Dustinb80