Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Bowkills

Nw oh
I took a bottle of apple cider vinegar to my wife she sniffed it like a coke head as hard as she could and took a shot with 0 affect. Her senses r gone. Ultimate test.....Going to pound 3 beers and see if the bloodhound is truly nose blind....

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My wife's sense of taste and smell returned after a few days, had a few really bad coughing fits that took her breath away but that was about it. Though she was easily winded/tired for at least a week. Pretty much back to normal at my house. Kids recently went through a bad GI bug though, finally got over that today.

I was the only person in my house with the whole Covid thing that didn't have ANY symptoms. I have a few ideas on that.
1.) I'm blood type O+, one of the types that "supposedly" gets the weakest symptoms.
2.) I was 10 days out on my first dose of the Moderna vaccine when my son tested positive. Per the research I had around a 50% chance of having a strong enough immune response built up to fight it off.

But........
My cousin (an ICU nurse in CO) got Covid around the holidays. She got bad enough that they took her to the ER one night because she couldn't catch her breath. Her kids both got symptoms also so she assumed the whole house had gotten it. Low and behold last week her husband gets symptoms and gets tested and is finally positive. They share a bed every night and somehow he didn't catch it initially. This is one strange virus.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The latest from California on health department pseudoscience bullshit overreach on lockdowns.

Someone should call their damn bluff and fight it in the court system. Where do they have that right to tell you to not have a TV on superbowl or not. It's either safe to eat in a restaurant for some amount of time or it's not.

Screenshot_20210130-111821_Twitter.jpg

Reactions: Walrus of Steel

Jamie

Ohio
I have a question for any of you folks in health care/medical fields that might know. If I have gotten Covid 19 twice and fully recovered from it with only mild symptoms, am I as safe from getting it again as somebody that that has never had it but gets the vaccine? safer? I guess what I'm really asking is is my natural immune response better for me than that caused by the vaccine? the same? not as good?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Back about Thanksgiving my nephew (he's 37) got Covid. He's really big 6'3" 350-400 pounds. Seemed to be a moderate case at first. But then it turned into really bad pneumonia and he ended up in the ICU for about a week. His lungs were badly scarred and his blood O2 levels were very low. Came home on O2 and after 3 or 4 days they rushed him back to the ER. He had a perforated bowel that the DR said was caused by the lack of oxygen. He needed a temporary colostomy. But there were problems with infections and they had to redo the surgery.

He goes home again, still on O2. A couple more days at home and he goes back to the ER with severe stomach pains, more infections. Back in ICU, more IV antibiotics, O2 levels are still bad, resting heart rate of 130. He finally came home Thursday.

He is very, very weak, has to use a walker. He spent over 40 days in the hospital, not sure how many in ICU but I'm sure at least 20. His wife could vist a little when he wasn't in ICU, the kids couldn't see him in the hospital. He's in for a long recovery. In 6 months he can have the colostomy reversed.

Very sorry to hear this. Prayers for his full recovery!! I hear often about the 99+/-% recovery rate but there are plenty of people having lifelong problems well after getting it. My co-worker who came down with it the same time as I and 2 others did is still having problems, 2 1/2 months later. His immune system has been compromised so badly that he has to work 100% from home as he goes in and out of dr offices and hospitals for tests. It took me over a month before I didn’t have constant fatigue and I still don’t feel right now. Not saying everyone should be paranoid but man it isn’t something that just goes away for many of that 99%.

Reactions: Outdoorsfellar

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a question for any of you folks in health care/medical fields that might know. If I have gotten Covid 19 twice and fully recovered from it with only mild symptoms, am I as safe from getting it again as somebody that that has never had it but gets the vaccine? safer? I guess what I'm really asking is is my natural immune response better for me than that caused by the vaccine? the same? not as good?

It's hard to say as it seems each case is different. The shot targets the spike protein that the virus vehicle uses to attach to your cells ACE2 receiver and inject its viral RNA payload into your cell for replication. Think about it like the airlock on a space shuttle docking with the international space station's lock door. The shot causes the cells to reject the connection. But it's not 100% meaning some cells will still dock and inject their viral RNA into a cell and that cell will still replicate the DNA and produce more viral cells. However it will be less than if it didn't reject connections. The overall viral payload will be less meaning people will be less sick. Still infected but less so.

Your immune system after infection with the live virus recognizes it as an invader and builds an immune response to the RNA that the virus-cell injects into the cell for replication. Instead of replicating it, your cell destroys it as soon as it enters. Vaccines work in a similar manner by using dead or weakened virus strains. It teaches your body to identify and attack the viral RNA.

It's a misnomer to call this a vaccination or immunization in the traditional usage of the word.

To answer your question. In a perfect world a natural immunity coupled with the shot provides better protection. Your bodies natural immunity to the virus RNA, and the shots ability to block docking with your cell in the first place.

SARS-CoV-2-replication-2.png

Reactions: Jamie

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
So how far up your ass do they have to go? Just asking because with last year and this year it's get pretty crowded up there with all the bullshit.

Reactions: giles

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So how far up your ass do they have to go? Just asking because with last year and this year it's get pretty crowded up there with all the bullshit.

Probably not far. They've been doing viral load testing on wastewater at sewage treatment plants for a while now. Ohio was doing it also. Gives then an idea of the virus load in the community. Supposedly.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Probably not far. They've been doing viral load testing on wastewater at sewage treatment plants for a while now. Ohio was doing it also. Gives then an idea of the virus load in the community. Supposedly.
Glad I’ve got a septic system.... SMDH....