Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019 Turkey Season

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Those are nice Hooks Jake, gotta be at least a 4 yr old..
Lungbuster, congrats on getting it done for your kids, nothing better. They have a great outdoorsman of a DAD...

Reactions: lung buster

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congrats everyone!
Got one with the stickbow at 10:45 this morning,had to work him awhile and left the blind and made a move on him,he was strutting on a logging trail,got a better position and hid in some thick stuff leaninig against a tree with my leafy poncho on.
Finally saw him coming and when he went behind 3 big trees i drew my bow and didnt have to hold long,12 yard shot right through the wings,then the chase was on lol he was dead running though went about 40 yds.
22# 10-1/4 inch beard and 1-1/8 spurs.
I was fugging excited first bird with the Widowmaker!

Attachments

• 0422191109a.jpg
    0422191109a.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 0422191113.jpg
    0422191113.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 0422191120a.jpg
    0422191120a.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2554-1.jpg
    IMG_2554-1.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 142

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang @Boarhead!
Shooting a wild turkey with a stick bow on the ground has to be one of the biggest accomplishments in the outdoors. A huge congrats to you man.!THAT IS AWESOME!!
Thanks! Dont think i have been that excited in awhile,been trying on and off the last few years,have come close but finally got it done today.
Making that move on him and setting up again is what finally got him in range.
Kept thinking ...well how can i fuck this hunt up.Lol

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Congrats again to everyone . Alot of birds died today so I'm sure I'll miss someone .

Headed out to try and roost one . Got 2 property I'm gonna check . If I can't find one there I'll hunt a different place I heard birds at both times I was there this weekend . Not exactly sure where they are roosted but I got enough of a idea to be slightly dangerous .

Reactions: Concordmeadowsfarm

Isaacorps

Columbus
I ended working one for about an hour and a half from 9:30 on. We played cat and mouse and hopscotched around 3 ridges. Couldn’t catch up with him and seal the deal but had a bunch of fun doing it! Couldn’t ask for better weather for an opener either. Congrats to all who got it done. Also a huge shout out to @Bigslam51 for making me a call in memory of my brother. Would’ve had it with me this morning if the post office wouldn’t have delayed the delivery 😒 oh well, it’ll be we with me this weekend. Thanks Chad!
C166FD9F-6C78-4ACA-A3D7-09804D9B21B2.jpeg

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
No luck roosting a bird tonight . Checked a couple spots . May have figured out why one normally dependable property hasn't had a gobbler on it yet . Seems the neighbors have taken up riding Razrs and I think they put the loudest aftermarket factory exhaust they could find . I could see two of them zipping around in the valley , well ...their headlights anyway . They weren't on the property I can hunt but they were riding the property lines and I'm sure that explains the lack of birds there .

I hate ATVs . They have their uses but to many idiots who would normally be to lazy to walk out in the woods use em to zip around and tear shit up .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’ve not heard a gobble this morning. Not really surprised. This property has gone down hill over the last few years. I did manage to call a hen in to 5 yards or so just a few minutes ago.

Reactions: Boarhead

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had to ride out a brief thunderstorm but now I'm back in the blind. Sitting at a property that doesn't have a ton on potential, but there are birds on the adjacent piece so it's not a total shot in the dark. Probably sit here a couple more hours and see what happens.

Buddy and I doubled up yesterday morning. A loudmouth hen drug in a gobbler to our decoys. When she got close I could see she had a good beard on her. My buddy shot the Tom at about 25 yds and then I swung around on the hen. She stuck around a wee bit too long. 😂

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Came close today . I picked the wrong side of a well road and the bird I set up on skirted me low at 70 yards .
Moved to another property band there was a bird gobbling. I had to move a couple times on him but finally here he came . I couldn't see a bird on him and he locked up at 40 yds . He walked off and got up on the ridge and was gobbling bhis head off again . I moved in a called him in again and couldn't see a beard ?

I kinda think it was a mature Tom with beard rot but he never strutted for me . He was solo and had a good gobble . So I don't think he was a Jake bit who really knows . He was strutting for a hen before I made a big circle on him , buy thru the timber I couldn't really see his fan either

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Nice job ! I did not hunt today . Was nice sleeping in till 545 . Lol . I stopped and listen at a spot close to the house where I usually take my son . Birds have not been coming out where I can hunt like the last 2 yrs . They roost in a no hunting area . They were in there gobbling good . Hopefully as the woods green up they start coming out to where we can hunt