Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2020 Rut Report. What County? Action seen?

Smawgunner

Athens
Anyone else feel like they might be making the wrong choice waiting for this cold front to take off work? Big bucks dropping in 80 degree weather. I'll feel better if I do get a shot leaving it go awhile vs damn near instant rot heat....

They're being killed, but it's not en mass. I'm telling ya, I spent 4 days in stands...Friday- yesterday and nothing looks like rut. No one wants to chase a piece of pussy around the country side in near 80 degree temps. I'll be out again Friday through Sunday this weekend...we'll see how it goes. Good luck all!

Reactions: Sgt Fury

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They're being killed, but it's not en mass. I'm telling ya, I spent 4 days in stands...Friday- yesterday and nothing looks like rut. No one wants to chase a piece of pussy around the country side in near 80 degree temps. I'll be out again Friday through Sunday this weekend...we'll see how it goes. Good luck all!

I'd disagree with this line. The deer get roughly a month to do their breeding. If they have a hot doe, they will not wait for it to cool off.

Bowkills

Nw oh
I watch the rut every year in the wide open spaces out my front window. It seems there is a 1-1/2 to 2 week window where holy shit sized deer are roaming around or locked on does during all daylight hrs. You can tell when it's peaking here (lockdown everywhere) and when it's on the downhill slide with more bucks roaming around looking for the last does. It's been kicking for awhile now in the north. Lots of good hunting to come but lots of lock pairs spotted since last Tuesday. Glad cold is coming.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Had a shooter buck cruise through out of range. The does are sticking too tight cover and the bucks are following their trails. None of the does are breaking cover... Yet...

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
Had an awesome night tonight, had two shooters trailing n dogging does. Had this one at full draw twice tonight n couldn't seal deal. Think the doe might have seen me drawing and took off with him hot on her heels.
HUNT0010.JPG

Bowkills

Nw oh
Usually see something new in rut behavior every year so here is a first. So a big buck had two does in a creek. One doe was hot one not or one hotter than the other. He was zoned and stuck on one. Hot doe stayed in the ditch. Other doe got out of ditch, she squat took a piss in the mowed grass along the ditch. She made it down the ditch a ways. Buck kinda followed but went back to the piss spot smelled it then knelt down stuck his head down rubed what looked like the side of his face jaw and neck in it, like a dog rolling in something. She ran off he didn't leave the other doe still n the ditch. But something new I haven't seen.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Guys I know snuck out and shot big bucks still locked on does in Indiana yesterday and today. It's been a very steady rut this year. As much as I've seen its gotta be trickling downhill in nw Ohio. Saw single bucks out cruising no does in sight which hasn't happened since the start for me. Hoping they will be roaming around this weekend for youth. It always seems like a few big bucks make an appearance every year when you think it's all wrapped up.....

Bowkills

Nw oh
Yup, I am also pulling for youth hunters this weekend. My daughter wants her first buck! She was a little upset her cousin killed a good one last weekend out of "her spot". Lol
I'm excited for my oldest 11yr old she's big enough to be very mobile with the .44mag. Extreme difference in what a year makes! We should see some deer. A good share of these wood lots will have a bow hunter or youths in them bumping stuff around. going to b awsome.