Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2020 Spring Turkey Thread

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shot this 19-1/2lber tonight as he was going to the roost. 12" beard, 1-3/8" spurs. Shot him with my grandpa's '97 Winchester. Had him figured out and sat up on him Wednesday evening. Wouldn't ya know a trespassing shroom hunter and the farmer spraying the fields screwed that up. Next chance was tonight. He started gobbling at 8pm and I shot him at 8:15. View attachment 101365

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Awesome, good too see the ole 97 is still getting the job done!!!!

Reactions: Bankfish

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Here in extreme southeast Ohio we have a blustery, cold typical spring day. Not sure I could hear one gobble if he did. My daughter saw some baby geese yesterday, The old saying is the turkeys are done then.

Reactions: 5Cent

Creamer

Athens

Saturday morning was about the same as Thursday for me. I heard plenty of gobbling, but it was on other properties. Nothing close. One bird even gobbled fairly late into the morning, it was a shame I couldn't go after him. There's always this week!

lung buster

hocking county
Absolute horrible weather this am but it was still a great time. Heard nothing from the roost. Had a hen come within 20 yds or so. Around 0730 the bird from yesterday fired up and i called him until he hung up waiting on the hen. Could see him but too far for a good shot. Then watched a 2nd hen go right to him. He stood there gobbling his head off for 10 min or so. Plan to be in there again tomorrow with Addy!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Decided to try and get down to the creek bottom behind my house out of the wind. Steep ass hollow (some of you have heard me bitch too many times about it). Got all the way to the bottom and ran right into a gobbler. Of course, he saw me first and off he ran.
I headed back up to the top as fast as I could trying to circles around him. I got up top and set up, made some calls, no answers. So, I sat for about an hour killing time. Rain started back up so back to work on the computer killing more time.

lung buster

hocking county
Addy and I were setup before 0530 where that gobbler has been the last 2 mornings. We were greated with total silence. An absolute perfect morning with zero wind and clear skys.The last 2 days were horrible conditions and he was fired up. Maybe someone killed him yesterday or maybe he was being a turk today. We would of stayed out all am but the kids have appointments to clean out their school lockers..
Did find a few yellow mushrooms and heard very distant gobbles when leaving.
Try again tomorrow before work...

Floki

This season so far has been pretty damn boring. I have yet to hear a bird gobble after 730 am from the begging of season. Last few days I’ve heard 0 gobbling. Still seeing birds with 5 to 8 hens with them. Very rarely have seen any out in the fields .

I know there is a very high ratio of hens to jakes/toms here,but this is beyond ridiculous. I don’t care to set up and try to ambush a turkey. I prefer to work a bird over a call. To me that’s what makes turkey hunting so fun.

I’ve tried all different times of the day. Same with calling I’ve been the whore at the bar at 2am just begging for it. Then I’ve been the church girl sitting in the pew beside wanting to give it away, but playing hard to get.

Overall tho being out in the woods with a big ole cup of coffee sitting and watching the sunrise. Is something no matter how many times you have done it. It’s always different.

Life’s good! Now I’m going to go look at the morning selfie, then off to the memes.

Congratulations to all that have killed a bird!👍

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This season so far has been pretty damn boring. I have yet to hear a bird gobble after 730 am from the begging of season. Last few days I’ve heard 0 gobbling. Still seeing birds with 5 to 8 hens with them. Very rarely have seen any out in the fields .

I know there is a very high ratio of hens to jakes/toms here,but this is beyond ridiculous. I don’t care to set up and try to ambush a turkey. I prefer to work a bird over a call. To me that’s what makes turkey hunting so fun.

I’ve tried all different times of the day. Same with calling I’ve been the whore at the bar at 2am just begging for it. Then I’ve been the church girl sitting in the pew beside wanting to give it away, but playing hard to get.

Overall tho being out in the woods with a big ole cup of coffee sitting and watching the sunrise. Is something no matter how many times you have done it. It’s always different.

Life’s good! Now I’m going to go look at the morning selfie, then off to the memes.

Congratulations to all that have killed a bird!👍
My season was going that way till Sunday...hang in there!

Reactions: 5Cent and Bankfish

lung buster

hocking county
Great weather again this am, zero wind and total silence in my area. 4 days to go and looking like its going to rain some. Plan to grind it out to the end. I've been out 22 mornings and probably scouted 15 before season, no need to stop now. I'll probably get up at 0430 next Monday and go just out of routine, lol....