Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arizona Elk Journal.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sorry that then updates have been slow. Much like the elk rut. The full moon, warmer than usual temps and pressure have the elk pretty quiet. No bugeling to speak of in the morning. This morning at 3:30 I drove up a large drainage that had three other drainages feeding into it. That's three hours before daylight and i didn't hear a single bugle. The elk are here, the sign is everywhere. They are however herd animals and very nomadic. If they're quiet the only way to locate them is boot leather. The unit isn't that great for glassing and the few canyons you can glass would take 4 days to get a bull out of.

As for the big bull that I was on someone drove back the small forest service road on a quad right through his main area. Yesterday morning he wasn't there. Most of the residents have gone home and the weekend campers from the valley have also.

Life in elk camp is get up at 3:30 and get to a spot that you want to listen well before sunrise. If you don't hear a bugle then rip off a couple location bugles hoping for a response. If that doesn't work then check the wind, open onX and make a plan for a slow hunt through timber being mindful of thermals and wind. Around 9 as the sun crests the hills the air starts to mix and swirl. Time to take a seat and replenish the calorie, water and nap levels.

Around 11 the wind is once again prevailing and you can start stalking again. Keep the wind in your face and stop every 25 yards to glass up ahead and maybe let out a couple cow mews. At around 3 it's time to go sit water and hope the elk visit before end of light, and other hunters don't walk up with the same idea. If you're within 3 miles of the hardtop road that's almost a certain bet. Then its back to camp and get there about 8:30. Grab a bite to eat and ready the gear for tomorrow. In the rack by 9 and up again at 3.

Its a grind but persistence usually wins. I'll be back in the morning over where that big bull was hoping he has returned. The elk sign there is the best I have seen in my 24 miles of walking so far. The forest service road this morning revealed that nobody has been in there since we were yesterday.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
20190917_180919.jpg
20190917_180909.jpg
20190916_161736.jpg
20190916_155716.jpg
20190915_152858.jpg
20190915_090821.jpg