Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bearded hens are legal in OH. Your thoughts?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Do they? What is the science behind these gender neutral freaks of nature? Is it a sign of maturity? What is it that makes a hen grow a beard? #silverlabsmatter

A beard is nothing more than a patch of feather follicles so I would just assume they produced those follicles along with the ones that make feathers.

Weird shit happens with birds. The male doesn't fertilize the eggs. The hen actually cums on her own eggs. Yeah. You read that right. It takes about 25 hours for a hen to produce and lay an egg, but it can only be fertilized in about the first 15 minutes of that process. She will usually lay one egg per day and will produce about 14 eggs. But here is the freaky shit. . After mating the sperm gets trapped in a gland in the female and she will use that load to fertilize her egg at the right moment. But wait there's more. She can store it and use it for 14 days. Meaning she really only needs to get creampied once to produce a full nest of eggs. Turkeys are quite literally nature's little cum dumpsters.

Think that's freaky. Box turtles can store jizz for over a year if suitable nesting habitat isn't found after mating.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
A beard is nothing more than a patch of feather follicles so I would just assume they produced those follicles along with the ones that make feathers.

Weird shit happens with birds. The male doesn't fertilize the eggs. The hen actually cums on her own eggs. Yeah. You read that right. It takes about 25 hours for a hen to produce and lay an egg, but it can only be fertilized in about the first 15 minutes of that process. She will usually lay one egg per day and will produce about 14 eggs. But here is the freaky shit. . After mating the sperm gets trapped in a gland in the female and she will use that load to fertilize her egg at the right moment. But wait there's more. She can store it and use it for 14 days. Meaning she really only needs to get creampied once to produce a full nest of eggs. Turkeys are quite literally nature's little cum dumpsters.

Think that's freaky. Box turtles can store jizz for over a year if suitable nesting habitat isn't found after mating.
The box turtle reference brought back a memory....years ago a buddy and i were shed hunting in late spring...I came across two box turtles going at it. That was the first and only time I’ve witnessed that. Well, I was curious and just had to know...so I pulled them apart and I tell you what...that bastard had a hammer about the size of a human thumb! I looked at my buddy and said “this mf’er is packin”. He said “you ain’t right”. I put them back into position and left...hope I didn’t ruin the mood.😂

Stressless

Keene, OH

Thx- I think...

18 years ,18 years, she got me for 18 years!

...I ain't sayin' she a gold digger, but she ain't messin' wit' no broke ni.....

The box turtle reference brought back a memory....years ago a buddy and i were shed hunting in late spring...I came across two box turtles going at it. That was the first and only time I’ve witnessed that. Well, I was curious and just had to know...so I pulled them apart and I tell you what...that bastard had a hammer about the size of a human thumb! I looked at my buddy and said “this mf’er is packin”. He said “you ain’t right”. I put them back into position and left...hope I didn’t ruin the mood.😂
Messing with nature!LOL My brother once shot a nice 10 point in Pa. rifle season on opening morning. I asked him what it was doing and he said, "Humping a doe." I said, "You shot him right off the doe and didn't even let it finish?" He said, " Yep. He got up on her and I knocked him off her..."

Pretty much what I was thinking seeing that photo above, a dual mount with both birds, bearded would be something.
Lol how ironic I was just literally looking at my dual mount last week as my parents told me it needs the hell out of there house by the end of the month.

About 10 years ago or whenever was the first year Pa offered there 2nd turkey tag I shot a double bearded gobbler (11.5" and 6" beards) and then the next morning a bearded hen (7" beard). My dad was a taxidermist at the time and made a beautiful mount with both of them together.

Unfortunately the mount is a bout 5 foot long by 3 foot wide and I just have never lived anywhere large enough to display it. It sat out in my dad's shop at which whenever he quit doing taxidermy ended up having a few mice problems. This mount was one of the few they got at and they tore a lot of the feathers on the underside up and at one of the legs on the hen. I'll snap a pic and post it when I get back there next time but most likely I am going to dumpster it at this point.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
348539FA00000578-3604562-image-m-7_1463998034870.jpg
348539FA00000578-3604562-image-m-7_1463998034870.jpg

Lol how ironic I was just literally looking at my dual mount last week as my parents told me it needs the hell out of there house by the end of the month.

About 10 years ago or whenever was the first year Pa offered there 2nd turkey tag I shot a double bearded gobbler (11.5" and 6" beards) and then the next morning a bearded hen (7" beard). My dad was a taxidermist at the time and made a beautiful mount with both of them together.

Unfortunately the mount is a bout 5 foot long by 3 foot wide and I just have never lived anywhere large enough to display it. It sat out in my dad's shop at which whenever he quit doing taxidermy ended up having a few mice problems. This mount was one of the few they got at and they tore a lot of the feathers on the underside up and at one of the legs on the hen. I'll snap a pic and post it when I get back there next time but most likely I am going to dumpster it at this point.
Tell your parents that you would love to remove it but it is in to your taxidermist for repair! :ROFLMAO: