Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boarhead's Coyote Snaring 2014

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[2] (22).jpgMan had one chew through the cable today that is two now, man some of these yotes just have a will to be free and survive.Going to my buddy's tomorrow to weld some hook ups on my rebar to attach the snares to so when I am staked out in the open with nothing for them to wrap around hopefully it will allow them to get choked out.Have a deer carcass on my other farm and am going to let them start on it and make some sets there next Thursday or Friday.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good job and some awesome photos. Are the snares reuseable after an animal is caught in one? Do you try to catch them by leg or around the neck? Seems most are alive when you arrive at the scene.
The snares are good for one time only and I catch all of them around the neck.Most are alive unless you have them where they can get wrapped up and then they are usually choked out, Just seems when you set out in the open on trails you get some that chew on the cable and others never touch it.They are strong and tough.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I don't necessarily count them as gone when they get out. There has been major damage done to get a snare broken on the end or in the middle.....You set out to mess a Coyotes day up and I believe you done just that Brian! rotflmao Fugg Him!:smiley_coolpeace:

Kaiser878

ohio
Brian, are u.just anchoring.them with ground anchors like a Berkshire or wolf fang when u.have them in field like that?

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brian, are u.just anchoring.them with ground anchors like a Berkshire or wolf fang when u.have them in field like that?
Yea Zack I am using pogo anchors and they very hold well but am going to get my rebar setup tomorrow to try and prevent chewouts.I have good luck out weedy patches In fields just nothing for them to get wrapped up on unless you rig up some kill poles.Not all of them chew the cable but when they do they really go to town.LOL

bluedog

Yea Zack I am using pogo anchors and they very hold well but am going to get my rebar setup tomorrow to try and prevent chewouts.I have good luck out weedy patches In fields just nothing for them to get wrapped up on unless you rig up some kill poles.Not all of them chew the cable but when they do they really go to town.LOL

This post brings up a question I have. And before I ask, please don't take my post as anti-trapping because I am not. I am just very naive about trapping. The problem I always had with trapping (vs hunting) is the possibility of non-target catches. So I have been trying to learn more about trapping and I have learned a lot about how trappers minimize the risk of non-target catches. I even went to a evening seminar on trapping coyotes so I could learn more about it. One of big reasons for learning about trapping techniques is to know about how they work so that if I am out with my hounds and a dog gets caught up in something, I know what to do. I've already had one of my beagles put his head through a 220 conibear trap (he survived) so as a dog owner traps scare me. They just do. At the coyote seminar I went to, the guy that taught it said they you don't want to set snares where the coyote could get caught up and hung. He said if a domestic dog got in a snare that they won't fight if they are leashed trained and would be OK unless there was something for them to get tangled around and hang themselves. So please educate me about such things.

Once again, I am not anti-trapping and I think it is a very cool thing that your all are doing. I come here almost every day to see what everyone has been catching. Keep up the good work. I am just here to learn. Thanks. (and sorry for the thread hijack, just seemed as good a place as any to ask about this).

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This post brings up a question I have. And before I ask, please don't take my post as anti-trapping because I am not. I am just very naive about trapping. The problem I always had with trapping (vs hunting) is the possibility of non-target catches. So I have been trying to learn more about trapping and I have learned a lot about how trappers minimize the risk of non-target catches. I even went to a evening seminar on trapping coyotes so I could learn more about it. One of big reasons for learning about trapping techniques is to know about how they work so that if I am out with my hounds and a dog gets caught up in something, I know what to do. I've already had one of my beagles put his head through a 220 conibear trap (he survived) so as a dog owner traps scare me. They just do. At the coyote seminar I went to, the guy that taught it said they you don't want to set snares where the coyote could get caught up and hung. He said if a domestic dog got in a snare that they won't fight if they are leashed trained and would be OK unless there was something for them to get tangled around and hang themselves. So please educate me about such things.

Once again, I am not anti-trapping and I think it is a very cool thing that your all are doing. I come here almost every day to see what everyone has been catching. Keep up the good work. I am just here to learn. Thanks. (and sorry for the thread hijack, just seemed as good a place as any to ask about this).[/QUOTE I have caught two dogs in snares in the past one of them twice and all three times released them.They were just laying there waiting for some one to let them out.I did find their owner and let them know and ask them to keep them off of the property.I would make sure to check with the property owner where you run dogs to see if anyone is trapping or snaring there so you are aware.As for me the places I trap or snare no one else has permission to be running their dogs on so I will always try if possible to set my snares for a quicker kill but a coyote will always fight the snare just have not had any dogs do that.

Domesticated animals generally don't go nuts to try to get out of traps and in this case snares from everything I've seen and read. The dogs I've caught in foot hold traps were just laying there wagging their tails as I came up to let them out, totally unharmed and hopefully educated. Wild animals like coyotes, fox, etc. will continue to try to get out and that's where this comes into play. Am I saying a dog will not hang itself? No, but it is much less likely and hopefully people keep control of their pets better so they aren't just as responsible for them being caught.