Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boarhead's Coyote Snaring 2014

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[1] (50).jpgsecuredownload[1] (49).jpgsecuredownload[1] (48).jpgHas been slow the last week so pulled a lot of my snares up and left a few out.Have not seen a yote track all week on the two farms which is good thing but today had a double a male and female about 10 yds apart.Thought my kill poles might be to short but they worked great as they choked both yotes out no chew outs today.LOL Almost didn't see them as their was a fresh 3 to 4 inches of snow on top of them.Have to thank Rick again for the scrap rebar and my buddy Kevin for welding them up for me.Caught these where Don and I set some when he came up to check and see how to set them. .I finally made it to my main bowhunting farm and set 8 over there so hope to catch some there as I have seen several yote tracks.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I started setting snares like Brian does. I was putting too much effort into it. Last 3 yotes were caught his way. It's much faster, less wire used, one less stake used and I believe they go into it easier as they're not as cautious from being crowded.

Ricer2231

It is crazy how Brian's snares just disappear once they are hung on the paths TOO. You literally have to search for them the way they blend into the surroundings. I can see how a yote hiking down the trail looking for something to eat would be "necktied" before he even knew it.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Zach I just set them on trails and it doesn't really matter if their is cover or not as the yotes are constantly on the move and when cruising down these trails they just cruise right into the snare as Don said, they aren't coming into a baited set so they aren't cautious or curious.I actually set two today on my tire tracks in the snow on the other farm as their has been yote tracks traveling down them.They are a lot like deer as they take the easiest path for them. Have caught 8 males and 4 females now so that should really help the fawns survive on our farms this year.Would love to catch a lot more females though.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Zach I just set them on trails and it doesn't really matter if their is cover or not as the yotes are constantly on the move and when cruising down these trails they just go right into the snare as Don said, they aren't coming into a baited set like a dirt hole or flat so they aren't cautious or curious.I actually set two today on my tire tracks in the snow on the other farm as their has been yote tracks traveling down them.They are a lot like deer as they take the easiest path for them. Have caught 8 males and 4 females now so that should really help the fawns survive on our farms this year.Would love to catch a lot more females though.

Man what a great update!! Interesting to hear/see that they were just on trails with no real blocking. Do you put anything on the snare itself or over it to help conceal it then? If you can some day just take a pic or two of the set like these I'd really appreciate it!!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[1] (45).jpgsecuredownload[1] (44).jpgsecuredownload[2] (14).jpgsecuredownload[2] (10).jpgsecuredownload[1] (8).jpg
Man what a great update!! Interesting to hear/see that they were just on trails with no real blocking. Do you put anything on the snare itself or over it to help conceal it then? If you can some day just take a pic or two of the set like these I'd really appreciate it!!
Hey Big Holla here are a few pics.No I don't really need to put anything on them to conceal them as it is just another grass stem or twig to the yote as they are running along,I just set them right on the trails and you really don't need any blocking as when they are running these trails they really have no reason to leave it.Even when the snow has all the grasses knocked down they still follow these trails.The one pic is Don after we set a snare and it really does blend in when the grasses are standing.The pic where I caught this yote was just a trail they were running along a picked corn field.I saw yote tracks in the mud and set a snare right on the trail without any blocking and he ran right through it.It is really very simple and I just think a lot of people try to over think the whole process and take a lot more time setting them than you really need to.You can usually put a set in less than 5 mins after you get the hang of it.

Great information BH!! Even though it's probably a little late for me to get going on them this year I'm certainly taking notes. The only trapping I've done has been up here and that was with footholds. Thinking if I were to have a couple long weekends I could maybe target coyotes specifically and throw a few snares out when I am down.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[1] (51).jpgsecuredownload[1] (52).jpgsecuredownload[2] (26).jpgsecuredownload[3] (6).jpgsecuredownload[4] (3).jpgsecuredownload[3] (7).jpgsecuredownload[2] (27).jpgCaught another big male yote today that I had set in a thicker area and he got hung up pretty good.This was on the farm I just set on where I do most of my bowhunting and saw a lot of fresh tracks there today so hope to thin them out a little in the next couple of weeks.Hey Big Holla I set a few more there today on trails and took some pics for you.I put one snare on my tire tracks along the edge of the field as they have been following them pretty good.On this set I just put a little brush on the left side the right side is where a tree fell down so it should guide them right through it.Had a couple close misses on the other two farms as well today and saw a few new tracks so hope they come back and get caught.